Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Fitbit or other?

5,935 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Vernada
HvilleAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the response. If you don't mind my asking, what else do you use the Apple Watch for? I use an iPhone so I know there will be good synergy, but I'm afraid I won't fully utilize its capabilities and therefore not justify the cost over the Garmin.
Ken Adams
AG
Replying to texts, taking calls, weather, espn app, spotify/podcast, email, the wallet app, and I even connect to my Nest doorbell and thermostat. There aren't as many apps as I would've thought but still have a good amount at this point and I'm sure more are to come.
Ragoo
AG
Garmin Fenix 3

Have it linked to my phone for push notifications, emails, calls, Garmin Connect.

Have it linked to a Garmin foot pod for more accurate treadmill running.

Can download different dial arrangements to full customize the look.

Can easily install different color bands to better match clothing. I only use a lime green band.
JT88
AG
Maybe the new Apple Watch is better, but the GPS on the last version was not as accurate. I liked the Apple Watch in that I didn't need the phone for a playlist (vs Garmin Forerunner 935). But grew tired of inaccurately recorded workouts and have gone back to taking the phone on my arm for music and the forerunner.
MPython43
Love my Whoop strap
cmiller00
AG
Is there a good one with no screen that can wear on opposite wrist from watch? I like my regular watch.
Broba Fett
Huge fan of my Garmin Fenix 5X
c-jags
cmiller00 said:

Is there a good one with no screen that can wear on opposite wrist from watch? I like my regular watch.

Garmin makes one that's not as "everyday" pretty but offers all the functionality of GPS and Heartrate.

VivoSport
Pahdz
Broba Fett said:

tell me more about the Fenix...got my eye on them. one of the models (can't remember which one) tracks downhill skiing well, which is something I do a lot of in winter
BQ2001
AG
I have a 3 Sapphire and wear it everyday and the face still looks great. The metal band has some wear spots but after almost 4 years of having it I'm not too concerned. I use it for skiing as well and like the way it tracks. It shows you going up the lifts but doesn't count it in the stats, like an auto pause. It is a little big/heavy but I'm used to it now. I do change the band to a "sport" band before a long race as my wrist tends to swell a little.
Post removed:
by user
ChevyAg
AG
Anyone have a Samsung smartwatch? Any thoughts, good or bad?
althepal97
AG
I have the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Used it for over a year now. I really like it and it syncs well with my Galaxy S7 phone. You need quiet surroundings to have a quality conversation with the phone feature. It is really nice to see text msgs on my wrist without pulling my phone out. Like all the options for watch faces.

For fitness the GPS tracking is good and the sleep tracking good. HR monitoring is spotty and I have to cinch the band tight to get it consistent. Step count is good, but floor tracking is worthless. The Samsung Health app has lots of interesting features, but have started using Strava instead to track activities. The Strava app for this watch started out bad, but the latest updates have made it respectable.

Biggest complaint is battery life. I need to recharge daily. If I am in poor cell signal area the battery drains fast so I am forced to switch to airplane mode. Battery also drains fast during acitivity tracking and won't last longer than a 90 min run. I am thinking of getting the Garmin Vivoactive 3 so that I can use for longer runs/hikes.
drivinwest
AG
My Garmin Fenix 3 is the best thing I own.
Big Al 1992
AG
Broba Fett said:

Does this do golf as well? Also are you happy with screen size - big enough to read on the run and brightness is good?
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I've been very happy with the Withings Steel HR.

$180

The only drawback is that if you want GPS tracking, you have to bring your phone with you.

Steel HR

I've had it for about 3 years now. The battery life is still incredible. I need to charge it about once every 3 to 4 weeks.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Buford T. Justice
AG
My 910 just died this week after 7 years of dutiful service. In the short-term, I'm going with a forerunner 25 just for basics, and will get a 935 at Christmas.
htxag09
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

My 910 just died this week after 7 years of dutiful service. In the short-term, I'm going with a forerunner 25 just for basics, and will get a 935 at Christmas.

I'm patiently waiting for the next model 935. Basically the fenix 5 + updates. Really thought it'd be here in March.....
Pahdz
Does the 935 do golf/ski?
htxag09
AG
htxag09 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

I'm patiently waiting for the next model 935. Basically the fenix 5 + updates. Really thought it'd be here in March.....

Woohoo!!! Forerunner 945 finally announced
bushytailed
AG
Just bought a Forerunner 35 and I'm liking it so far. No frills, but just what I need.
Vernada
AG
bushytailed said:

Just bought a Forerunner 35 and I'm liking it so far. No frills, but just what I need.

That's what I have. Great value IMHO.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.