Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BCS Marathon

1,254 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 91_Aggie
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't feel like searching and forgive my laziness....

Last year there were 500 marathoners.

Is that the number of slots? Supply/demand?

After the split, how much crowd support/slash alone time is there?
Swarely
Rudyjax said:

I don't feel like searching and forgive my laziness....

Last year there were 500 marathoners.

Is that the number of slots? Supply/demand?

After the split, how much crowd support/slash alone time is there?

I've only done it once, but I remember it being very lonely after the split.
zachsccr
AG
It does thin out after the split, but there is still crowd support on course. The roughest stretch is from 13-16 when you are working your way back in from Traditions to Research Park. It can get a little lonely out there, but even that wasn't bad. Once you get on campus you get pockets of people cheering you on and shortly there after you join back up with the Half on North Gate. It's not Boston or NYC, but you also aren't totally alone out there.
ptothemo
AG
Preface this by saying that BCS is the only full that I have run, so I have zero reference outside of it. I ran it in 2017 and then again in 2018.

It does get really spread out after the split and can get pretty lonely, particularly on West Campus in the miles from Traditions to the library. Crowd support starts to pick up some again on Olsen Blvd, which really helps. Now, in 2017, it got really effing lonely in the mile 16, 17, 18 range, because I was also completely hitting the wall at the same time. In 2018, it got lonely in those miles, also, but I was much more prepared for it, both physically and mentally, and didn't feel the effects nearly as much.

If there were exactly 500 runners in 2018, my thought is that is purely coincidental as I seriously doubt that it was capped at that number.
montegobay
It's a pretty lonely race after the split until the last two or three miles.
drivinwest
AG
As others have said, after the split it's mostly lonely until you reach campus. There are fun support groups in Research Park. But if you run, plan on a few stretches where there's no one around.
91_Aggie
AG
I only ran the full the first year so not sure if route still the same but once you turned on to villa maria and headed out to traditions and then back to campus was very lonely.
O.G.
you've gotta hang tough when it gets real rough when you're out there on your own - Charlie Daniels.

Also, I have to take up for BCS here. If you want to see "lonely" run Cowtown, once you're in the park next to the Trinity river and you're dealing with "regular" runners (non-bibbed joggers....yes I said joggers) out on the same course, and cyclist that dared to come up behind me saying, "on your left". THEN you go through a bunch of neighborhoods from which I've seen more crowd support in a prison chow hall. For a city that size, crowd support was way underachieving.
Rudyjax
AG
SAWgunner said:

you've gotta hang tough when it gets real rough when you're out there on your own - Charlie Daniels.

Also, I have to take up for BCS here. If you want to see "lonely" run Cowtown, once you're in the park next to the Trinity river and you're dealing with "regular" runners (non-bibbed joggers....yes I said joggers) out on the same course, and cyclist that dared to come up behind me saying, "on your left". THEN you go through a bunch of neighborhoods from which I've seen more crowd support in a prison chow hall. For a city that size, crowd support was way underachieving.

I know. And that's my least favorite part of the Cowtown.
91_Aggie
AG
SAWgunner said:

Also, I have to take up for BCS here.
I like BCS, but that Villa Maria until you get back to A&M section was just lonely and boring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.