Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Nike shoes

2,748 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chimpanzee
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never been impressed with Nike shoes. I can't count how many I bought for my daughter in basketball because they blew apart. Unfortunately, they were the only ones that could accommodate her ankle braces. I hope the kid is okay.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26043018/one-bad-zion-williamson-step-leads-one-bad-night-duke
Class of '94
c-jags
I know there are people that love them and it seems like the zoom flyknits have some fans... but I've found most of their shoes to be trash and fall apart faster than any other brand.

I remember a couple of years ago a bunch of Allen or Plano FB players posted pictures of their Nike shoes falling apart in the heat.
ptothemo
AG
I have no dog in the fight here. I do run in Nike, but I have no connection to them other than I like the way a couple of their shoes work for me.

A bit of devil's advocacy here, but I think that people are much more inclined to hate on Nike just because they are the big dog, and people are generally inclined to hate on the big dog in all contexts. I have no doubt that there are more Nike shoes that have blown out in athletics, but that is also likely more related to the fact that there are more Nike shoes being worn in athletics than other brands. I would guess the ratio of blown out shoe to total shoe worn across brands is relatively the same.

Last night's thing with Zion is pretty crazy, but there are lots of factors that are playing into it. The best player in college basketball leaves a game that people payed up to $25k to get into in one of the premier rivalries in college basketball - add that little ESPN thing in there somewhere - and you are going to get a lot of publicity. And of course, both teams are wearing Nike, have been wearing Nike forever, and will wear Nike forever forward.

Some guy from some directional school probably blew out an Under Armour shoe last night, but no one really cares about that.

Walter Kovacs
AG
Nike friends and family sale starts today and they didn't send me **** in my Nike+ app. Screw those guys.
AggieOO
i run in Nike trail shoes, but find nike's shoes mostly miss more than hit.

unless this is a bigger problem and continues happening, this event is a small blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

plus, nike can always claim they were going back to their roots. many of bowerman's early prototypes fell apart on the track.
K Bo
AG
I like their Metcons and just ordered a pair of Metcon x Free. That's all I like of theirs, though.
Hoosegow
That's fair pt.

It's a story that fits my experience with Nike shoes. In my opinion they are junk. So when something happens that confirms my belief, of course I'm going to use it as supports my opinion. But everything you brought up is a good point.
Class of '94
bam02
AG
Sounds like Lebron and Kaepernick need to go visit some child labor sweatshops in Vietnam and crack the whip on QC.
CFTXAG10
AG
I have always had luck with the flyknit and zoom pegasus lines. They do make quality workout shoes you just have to find what works best with your needs.
cjo03
AG
Walter Kovacs said:

Nike friends and family sale starts today and they didn't send me **** in my Nike+ app. Screw those guys.

sorry walter.. since kaepernick ruffled my conservative network, I have not made time to analyze the ~250 or so texagers on the snail mail list. saved my stamps because I did not want to put any boycotters in front of an ethical dilemma to-use-or-not-to-use the coupon... or have anyone contribute to global warming by burning the plastic card.

Except for POS.. I sent him some - because I found great humor in it.
Walter Kovacs
AG
cjo03 said:

Walter Kovacs said:

sorry walter.. since kaepernick ruffled my conservative network, I have not made time to analyze the ~250 or so texagers on the snail mail list. saved my stamps because I did not want to put any boycotters in front of an ethical dilemma to-use-or-not-to-use the coupon... or have anyone contribute to global warming by burning the plastic card.

I forgive you. #CampCummins4life

But not the Nike+ app. Uninstalled. And snkrs app too.
91_Aggie
AG
I swore off Nike Running shoes a long time ago (20+ years ago). All style and no substance.
AggieOO
i'll buy double just to piss off the boycotters.
htxag09
AG
What do you mean when you say your daughter's shoes blew apart? This sounds like your saying the same thing that happened to Zion last night happens to her pretty often. If so, I find that a little hard to believe. If they're junk and falling apart, that's different.

And ftr, I don't like and don't wear nike.
zachsccr
AG
Fan of the pegasus running shoes because I can get them for cheap. Ironically enough this all happened the same day I got a new pair. I'll be duct taping them just to be safe...

Or this is Nike's way of bringing back the barefoot craze
c-jags
AggieOO said:

i'll buy double just to piss off the boycotters.
what's funny is that i'm all conservative and whatnot, but if i only bought based on companies that agree with me politically for every day use (i use that term very loosely,) i'd be limited to chic fil a, black rifle coffee company, and hobby lobby. Maybe New Balance?

i'm not actively going to boycott a company unless they say "we hate middle class white dudes. don't buy our products."
cjo03
AG
clearly not a fun look for my swoosh

kinda like kipchoge's sole coming out in berlin or lebron's jersey ripping in the season opener... only worse because of the injury

if i was zion, i think my thought would be more along the lines of "hey phil, my asking price just doubled" versus a boycott
cjo03
AG

Quote:

I forgive you. #CampCummins4life

technically a true hashtag... i have a high probability of confidence camp cummins was responsible for a minimum of 3 children
ptothemo
AG
Darren Rovell seems to really care about this situation

https://deadspin.com/darren-rovell-is-absolutely-losing-it-over-the-shoe-1832774175
AgEng06
AG
Rovell is such a f-in choad.
c-jags
cjo03 said:

clearly not a fun look for my swoosh

kinda like kipchoge's sole coming out in berlin or lebron's jersey ripping in the season opener... only worse because of the injury

if i was zion, i think my thought would be more along the lines of "hey phil, my asking price just doubled" versus a boycott

Kipochoge and Nike got a bit of redemption though in Berlin last year I'd say.
NoahAg
For running I think some brands just don't work for some people. I've had one Nike shoe that I really liked (RIP Lunar Trainer), but no luck with any of the others.

Other brands that haven't worked for me: Mizuno, New Balance

Brands I've liked: Asics, Brooks, Adidas
The Pilot
AG
I've had so many friends smash marathon PRs in the 4%, a few girls even hit the Olympic trials standard. I don't usually run in Nike's (Kinvara guy) but when I get back to running routinely, I'm definitely going to give the 4% a try.
AggieOO
NoahAg said:

For running I think some brands just don't work for some people. I've had one Nike shoe that I really liked (RIP Lunar Trainer), but no luck with any of the others.
my favorite road shoe of all time.
Frok
AG
Must have been a tired kid in the sweat shop that day
_lefraud_
AG
ptothemo said:

I have no dog in the fight here. I do run in Nike, but I have no connection to them other than I like the way a couple of their shoes work for me.

A bit of devil's advocacy here, but I think that people are much more inclined to hate on Nike just because they are the big dog, and people are generally inclined to hate on the big dog in all contexts. I have no doubt that there are more Nike shoes that have blown out in athletics, but that is also likely more related to the fact that there are more Nike shoes being worn in athletics than other brands. I would guess the ratio of blown out shoe to total shoe worn across brands is relatively the same.

Last night's thing with Zion is pretty crazy, but there are lots of factors that are playing into it. The best player in college basketball leaves a game that people payed up to $25k to get into in one of the premier rivalries in college basketball - add that little ESPN thing in there somewhere - and you are going to get a lot of publicity. And of course, both teams are wearing Nike, have been wearing Nike forever, and will wear Nike forever forward.

Some guy from some directional school probably blew out an Under Armour shoe last night, but no one really cares about that.

UNC is Jordan (not NIKE), and yes, there is a difference. Probably not coming from the same sweat shop.
cjo03
AG
_lefraud_ said:

ptothemo said:

UNC is Jordan (not NIKE), and yes, there is a difference. Probably not coming from the same sweat shop.

nike owns jordan. but does not own the factory where either shoes are made. you can see where they are made here and you can go tour any factory nike does business with at any time (it's a requirement to be a nike manufacture partner)
P.U.T.U
AG
We all know it was CJ03 that made the shoes when he was browsing Texags instead of focusing on the shoes.
cjo03
AG
P.U.T.U said:

We all know it was CJ03 that made the shoes when he was browsing Texags instead of focusing on the shoes.

busted.

ptothemo
AG
_lefraud_ said:

ptothemo said:

I mean, if you want to talk about the logos being different, then that is fine. But google the word "Jordan", and the very first link is nike.com/jordan. Let's be real here.
A. Solzhenitsyn
cjo03 said:

Walter Kovacs said:

POS wanted me to relay the message that he doesn't let his politics interfere with his getting a good deal. he'd sell out his own mother to save a buck.
Frok
AG
Quote:

. but does not own the factory where either shoes are made

Nike: "We don't own the sweatshops, they just make all our shoes"
chimpanzee
I don't think I'd pay attention to the logo on the side at all if I found something that worked for my feet, Brooks being the current best for me personally. I used to gravitate toward Nike as a kid because they were cool or something, but they would frequently bust seams and have bits of the design start falling off.

I gave up on them at some point (mid-90's) and bought a pair of Spalding branded basketball shoes at Academy for $30 that lasted forever.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.