Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bench more with thinner bar?

1,673 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by newhowdyag2004
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm vacationing in CO and I lifted at my buddies home gym. He had a 45 lbs bar but thinner than a standard Olympic bar. I was felt so much stronger benching with this bar. Last week I failed 5x5 on 240 lbs (one rep shy) but got 245 lbs pretty easy and even did a pause rep on the last rep of the 5x5. After that I got two reps at 275lbs while last week could only get one.

I kept bugging asking if he was sure it was 45 lbs and he told me he's weighed it before so I take his word. Does it make sense to be that much stronger with a thinner bar?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I've always felt like it was the other way around but I have fairly large hands and the skinny bars don't feel right in my hands.
zurcaled11
AG
Altitude.
selk
AG
Yes. Skinnier bars make it easier
AggieOO
It was the edibles.
Nosh
I've always thought it was the opposite. A nice fat bar distributes the weight in my grip. It's more comfortable for me.
Counterpoint
AG
Isn't this the same concept as Fat Gripz? Whenever I put those on the bar or on dumbbells, my max goes way WAY down.

Hoosegow
I suspect you were rested so you were probably stronger.
Class of '94
hph6203
AG
There's also potentially a wide, wide variation potential depending on the quality of plates you and your buddy have. They can vary up to 10% in weight. In other words, you could have a 45 lbs plate that weighs 40 pounds or one that weighs 50 lbs depending on brand. Take that to a 245 lbs. lift you could have a variation up 20 lbs or down 20 lbs (220-270 lbs). 10% variation would be pretty strange, but even a 2% weight variation is 240 to 250 lbs.

Not saying that's the case, but it's potentially a reason.
culdeus
AG
If he got it at academy those bars are 25#. I have one of those skinny bars like that I got off CL.
jack3d14
I feel my reps are alot eaiser when using the Skinner bar but, still hit the same numbers no matter what bar. It just feels easier when its the skinny bar.
newhowdyag2004
Well, either the altitude REALLY helps, or his weights don't "add up". I attempted 245 again today at home, and only got 5x5x4x4x4..barely. A skinny bar won't account for that...I was feeling so good last week. :-(
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.