Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cycling to 5k

1,275 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started cycling a year ago and can hammer out 25 miles on a mountain bike at a moderate pace without straining too hard now.

However, I got bold and signed the wife and I up for the Chuck Norris 5K coming up in 2.5 months thinking it would be fun and not too bad. Dead wrong. Neither of us can run much more than about a 1/2 mile before we are sucking wind and legs burned up. Not sure what to do besides suck it up and push, but I'm getting ready to be embarrassed come May.
AggieOO
You are probably trying to run too fast. Slow down.

Also, look at couch to 5k.
Cromagnum
AG
AggieOO said:

I have a Fenix and it's showing we are trying to run 12-13 minute miles which is pitifully slow. I looked at couch to 5k, but I'm trying to figure out an appropriate level to start at because walking for 70-80% of it the first two weeks feels like a complete waste of time. Trying to find a happy medium.
bushytailed
AG
There are 5000 runners for this race which is twice the size of the BCS Marathon/HM. There will be lots of families and walkers. Everyone will be slower than normal due to the size of the crowd.

All that to say, don't worry about being "pitifully slow". You won't be the slowest. Have fun with it and check out couch to 5k if you're really worried.
htxag09
AG
Since you have time, I'd just start at the beginning of couch to 5k. May be a little too easy to start, but not going to hurt.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Even if it feels slow, go slower. Walk if you have to. Walk run...Run 4 min and walk one. Repeat until you get there. There is no shame in going slow. https://www.active.com/running/articles/run-walk-run-to-faster-times-faster-recovery

Bricks are good for running fitness. Ride your bike 30min first and run 10 min off the bike. Build up until you can do it.
Rudyjax
AG
Cromagnum said:

AggieOO said:

I have a Fenix and it's showing we are trying to run 12-13 minute miles which is pitifully slow. I looked at couch to 5k, but I'm trying to figure out an appropriate level to start at because walking for 70-80% of it the first two weeks feels like a complete waste of time. Trying to find a happy medium.

Sounds like you know more than the program and you should just go out and run the whole time.
Frok
AG
Intervals really helped me get faster. Sprint for 30 secs, walk a minute, repeat 10-15 rounds
LOYAL AG
AG
First understand that pace and time are in no way important in an event like the one you're about to do. It's there to give you an incentive to do something physical and help a good cause along the way. Second I did my first MS150 last year and went in with similar concerns that you have for a very similar type of event in terms of what the event is intended for. I had only been riding for 8 months and I "knew" I wasn't ready, and maybe I wasn't. But I was far more ready than the vast majority of riders and late in day 1 and almost all of day 2 I kept a pace that was considerably faster than probably 80% of participants, maybe closer to 90%. By the way, know what I got for that hard riding? The same thing as the rest of them. You're there to have fun and help a good cause. That's it. Nobody is watching you to see how far you're running.
Rudyjax
AG
Now that I'm awake and in a better mood, there is a reason why the Couch to 5k starts you out walking so much.

You need to build up the bone strength and intervals will slowly build you up.

You cant run half a mile without huffing and hurting yet you think you're ahead of the C25K?

You have plenty of time and it's a proven effective program.
Broba Fett
Running sucks.
Broba Fett
Dp
AggieOO
Broba Fett said:

Running sucks.

txags92
AG
Broba Fett said:

Dp
It was worth saying twice...
htxag09
AG
txags92 said:

Broba Fett said:

Dp

Don't think he even knew what he was saying....his original post was asking what was a good pace or something.......
txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

txags92 said:

Broba Fett said:

Dp

Don't think he even knew what he was saying....his original post was asking what was a good pace or something.......
I was referring to him saying running sucks...
Geriatric Punk
AG
Run a block, walk a block. That's how my dad started. All about consistency and listening to your body. He was a 3 hour marathon guy less than 2 years later. Went from 250+ to 138.

Fun side note - he came down with vertigo the month before NYC and never got to run. I'm going to wear his bib below mine when we run in the fall.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.