Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Are BCAAs effective?

2,954 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Madmarttigan
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I started taking BCAAs a couple months ago pre-workout. The first few times a felt a big lift in my energy, however, I haven't really felt that since.

Are they still at work? What exactly do they do? What has been your experience with them?
Hoosegow
BCAAs are nothing more than food. They are the building blocks of protein. Supplementing is completely unnecessary and almost a waste of money if you are eating right.
Class of '94
TwoMarksHand
AG
https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/
MikesFamousJava
AG
Not to hijack the thread, but on a related note...
I've heard BCAA supplements won't kick you out of a fasted state, so they could be helpful for folks trying to work out fasted (I'm currently trying this, doing IF and my first meal is at noon, but work our at 6:30 am). Anyone have solid evidence that they won't kick you out of the fasted state?
Hoosegow
I don't know from a chemistry/blood serum standpoint. However, BCAAs are nothing more than food. So if you are ingesting food, then are you not no longer fasting?

Sugars make up carbohydrates.

Amino acids make up proteins.

It is like saying you are supplementing you carbs with glucose.
Class of '94
bigtruckguy3500
As Hoosegow said, if you're eating right, or really eating any appreciable amount of protien, you shouldn't need BCAAs. That being said, supplement companies tout research that suggests that BCAAs are the first amino acids depleted from the blood following strength training. Presumably meaning that after they get used up, your body starts catabolizing your own muscle tissue for it. So therefore by supplementing you're keeping your muscle stores from being tapped into. Kinda like your blood sugar drops during working out, so to keep from tapping into your liver stores, you have carbs.

As far as fasting goes. I think the hypothetical advantage is that there are a minimal amount of calores in a serving of BCAAs. Regardless, similar concept as above. Keep the blood full of the first amino acids to be depleted to prevent muscle loss.

I think most supplements offer hypothetical benefits more than real world benefits.
Hoosegow
Actually, there are the same amount of calories per gram of BCAA as there are for protein 4kCal/g
Class of '94
MikesFamousJava
AG
Correct, but when I referred to breaking the fast, I didn't really mean literally breaking the fast (by definition). Consuming BCAAs does technically break the fast in that BCAAS are "food" and have 4 cals/gram...but what is important to those doing IF or keto is that the BCAAs (in the quantities taken for supplementation pre-workout) don't cause a sharp/sustained insulin spike and don't cause any increase in blood glucose. Thus the intent of the fast is maintained. As I understand it.
Hoosegow
Then I dont understand. Its food. It does what food does.
Class of '94
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, I think BCAA supplements are typically like 5-10g or something/serving. It's like coffee while fasting. That also contains a few calories, but is it enough for your body to really register it sufficiently to see any appreciable physiologic change? Who knows?
jthonen
AG
Zero calories, zero sugar. This used to be the recommendation of the LeanGains dude but I haven't looked in a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Scivation-Powder-Branched-Watermelon-Servings/dp/B005CH0DT4
Madmarttigan
AG
The label saying zero calories is more due to a labeling loophole requirement from the FDA from what I see online. It is impossible for it to have BCAAs and be zero calories.
Formerly tv1113
Hoosegow
Bingo TV- they are not technically proteins so they dont have to be listed.
Class of '94
P.U.T.U
AG
BCAAs work really well...at reducing the weight of your wallet with zero effects. Science is cool, use it
Nosh
Valine is the most promising of the three based on insulin reaponse, foxo1, igf1, Akt-mTOR activation and DepTOR activity. I'll see if I can dig up some literature that Fluckey and Reichman shared in exphys.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Nosh said:

Valine is the most promising of the three based on insulin reaponse, foxo1, igf1, Akt-mTOR activation and DepTOR activity. I'll see if I can dig up some literature that Fluckey and Reichman shared in exphys.
This sounds like a bunch of bull***** But I'm don't know enough about nutrition to say if it is or not.
jack3d14
I see people recommending EAA's over BCAAs
Hoosegow
Huh? Bcaas are eaas.
Class of '94
BullSprig07
AG
jack3d14 said:

I see people recommending EAA's over BCAAs

Ben Greenfield pushes this idea on his podcast and blog etc. Of course he sells them on his KION supplement line so take that for whatever it's worth.

Totally anectodal but some of my best workouts have been Saturday morning in a "fasted (except for amino acids)" state.

Could be wasting my money, but I tried several different protein supplements and realized they were all messing with my gut pretty badly. Cut out protein powder and only been supplementing with amino acids since then. Maybe I'm wasting my money and it's not doing anything for recovery/muscle gain but my tummy feels a lot better.
Nosh
Hoosegow said:

Huh? Bcaas are eaas.
Nosh
Its signal transduction and enzyme kinetics for anabolism and recovery.
Madmarttigan
AG
BCAAs are EAAs but not all of them is probably what he means. They are just some of the essential.
Formerly tv1113
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.