Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

20 hour intermittent fasting

3,362 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Your Mom And Them
BlitzBrother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone doing , if so , what's your results - Been doing for about 3 to 4 weeks - Pretty amazing results including resting heart rate about 10 beats less per minute , lower BP , body fat loss , less hungry , etc -Don't miss eating early or lunch - Food less a focus , want to eat leaner , etc - Interested hearing from anyone doing much longer .
Hoosegow
The most I can go is 23.5. I have to eat at least once a day. It sucks, though, when I order a pizza and its late. So I try to make sure I have my .5 hour feed prepared. That's the key.
Class of '94
RG20
So you have a 4 hour feeding window? Good God
Slagathor
AG
I stick to 23:1 keto and it really is easy to get into the swing of things with it. I've been eating keto for years and already usually skipped breakfast, now skipping lunch is just as easy. The biggest thing for me to pay attention to is drinking plenty of electrolytes (I bought electrolyte drops on Amazon) and it helps a lot with energy and satiety throughout the day.
AggieChemist
AG
I have been doing essentially 23/1 for a couple weeks with no problems.

Right now I'm at hour 65 of a planned 96 hour fast.

Me and my black coffee are sailing right along, feeling great.
Slagathor
AG
Would also like to add that it is definitely a thing to fast for longer than a day at a time. Check out the /r/fasting subreddit, there are some crazy results if you have the discipline (I do not).
AggieChemist
AG
As an aside, since starting a more rigorous fasting regime, I've found that I have tons of food in my house. When you only eat one meal a day stuff sticks around forever.
ww
AG
I do a 19/5 or 20/4 schedule on most weekdays (late lunch & early dinner). I find that I'm barely ever hungry at early dinner time, and likely eat more than I should, but I do that so I can work out in the evening. Haven't seen a drastic change, but it works well for me.
- Wake up: 5:45am
- Lunch: 1pm or later
- Dinner: Between 5-6pm
- Work-out: 7pm or later
- Bedtime: ~10pm
aggie appraiser
I fasted for an hour short of 7 days last week. I only had water for 167 hours.

This week I've been fasting about 18-20 hours per day. I think I'll do one meal per day until the beginning of March and then do another extended fast.

AggieChemist
AG
aggie appraiser said:

This week I've been fasting about 18-20 hours per day. I think I'll do one meal per day until the beginning of March and then do another extended fast.

What were your goals? Weight loss?

How much weight did you lose? are you eating keto before/after? Did you measure bodyfat before and after?

Curious about actual fat loss on a long fast like this rather than water loss, which would probably be minimal if you were eating keto or very low carb.
AZAG08
AG
My standard is 16/8 and thats just naturally how I go through the day - lunch around noon, dinner finished by 8
On the weekends sometimes I push closer to 20

Ive never tried fasting for for 24 hrs or more though -- Ive been considering it lately just to see how it goes
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm pretty much 19/5.

Eat about 200 calories at 8am after working out, another 200 at 10am, then a big lunch at noonish.

Then fast and my morning workout at 6am is on 17 hours of water and black coffee only.
aggie appraiser
AggieChemist said:

aggie appraiser said:

What were your goals? Weight loss?

How much weight did you lose? are you eating keto before/after? Did you measure bodyfat before and after?

Curious about actual fat loss on a long fast like this rather than water loss, which would probably be minimal if you were eating keto or very low carb.

I didn't really have any specific goals with regard to this one extended fast. I wanted to see what I could do as I did a 4 day fast in January and felt I could have easily gone longer. I want to see if I can obtain some results from what they call auto****y. Hopefully reduce chronic joint pain, which isn't easy to measure. Of course any weight loss is a bonus. Probably the main reason I have done atkins several times over the years and always seem to hit a wall at 230 and with IF I had met the same barrier. I had been bouncing from 230-235 for a week or more and thought the EF would help break through to the 220's.

Weight loss - 15 pounds, which was surprising. I rebounded about 8 pounds which is more than expected, so about 7 overall. No, I've never tried keto and don't know much about it other than the basic premise of high fat, low carb. No, I have no way to measure body fat and don't know how. Don't have any type of BMI scale.

Everything I've read is that keto is a great match for IF and I might look into it in the future.
RG20
Question, how do you manage to keep/gain any muscle mass with so few calories?
AggieChemist
AG
As long as you avoid insulin response you should mobilize fat over protein. The body will not preferentially consume muscle over fat in the fasted state.
aggie appraiser
Also, fasting triggers a release of growth hormones so that your body can rebuild once you eat.
bigtruckguy3500
Did you supplement with electrolytes at all? Multivitamin? Or workout during this period?
P.U.T.U
AG
Just become an Army Ranger, eat one meal a day. Had a friend come home after getting his tab and ate four footlong subs in about four minutes.

In the end I think a large part of the fasting diets is just a decrease in calories
aggie appraiser
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Did you supplement with electrolytes at all? Multivitamin? Or workout during this period?

I've been taking celtic sea salt in my water for about a year because of a chiropractor/accupressure guy who has been helping me with joint pain. It has magnesium, potassium and a bunch of other minerals in it. I have also been taking a ton of mineral and vitamin supplements for about a year, but have reduced them due to fasting and not taking anything that would break the fast.

I did a bunch of push ups, but no running or lifting weights. Many who fast say that performance is enhanced due to growth hormones. I don't exercise enough, or track it closely enough, to notice a difference in performance.
aggie appraiser
P.U.T.U said:

Just become an Army Ranger, eat one meal a day. Had a friend come home after getting his tab and ate four footlong subs in about four minutes.

In the end I think a large part of the fasting diets is just a decrease in calories

Dr. Fung mentions a study, or maybe studies, that compares diets with the same caloric intake and says that time restricted eating/fasting significantly outperforms normal eating patterns.
AggieChemist
AG
aggie appraiser said:

P.U.T.U said:

Dr. Fung mentions a study, or maybe studies, that compares diets with the same caloric intake and says that time restricted eating/fasting significantly outperforms normal eating patterns.
It's insulin. It's all insulin.
Vernada
AG
BlitzBrother said:

Anyone doing , if so , what's your results - Been doing for about 3 to 4 weeks - Pretty amazing results including resting heart rate about 10 beats less per minute , lower BP , body fat loss , less hungry , etc -Don't miss eating early or lunch - Food less a focus , want to eat leaner , etc - Interested hearing from anyone doing much longer .
I've been alternating weeks: 20+ hour fast for a week (basically eating dinner with the family) and then a week with a late lunch around 1pm of about 400 cal and dinner with the family.

Coupled with some moderate exercise and no drinking and my results are the best I've ever seen.

• Significant weight loss - close to 20# since Christmas day. Even better - no disheartening stall weeks.
  • From what I can tell, all weight loss is fat - I'm struggling to keep my pants up and I've moved belt notches. For the first time in years, my scale is showing my BF% in the 'green' zone.
  • Resting heart rate is down about the same as yours to around 64.
  • I've gradually reduced my BP meds from 15mg to 5mg and my BP is still in the "very healthy" range. measured 116/71 this morning.

Best of all it's easy. I still eat whatever I want at dinner so I'm eating like normal with family. I still eat out on the weekends. And I pretty much don't get hungry anymore - a few hunger pangs occasionally at breakfast and lunchtime, but it's not uncomfortable and passes quickly enough. I think I could easily extend the fast longer, but one of my goals here (in addition to the obvious) is to not impact my family life at all.
O.G.
AZAG08 said:

My standard is 16/8 and thats just naturally how I go through the day - lunch around noon, dinner finished by 8
On the weekends sometimes I push closer to 20

Ive never tried fasting for for 24 hrs or more though -- Ive been considering it lately just to see how it goes

This, mostly. Once I went 24, but I'm usually on 16/8. Lately though, there have been several times that I've only eaten once a day.
P.U.T.U
AG
For the most part if you eat a good diet for your body type you don't need to fast. Like any diet when you get on it you will lose weight since your get on a schedule and drop calories. Age also matters.

Most of the people I have known that have done IF eat at least 20-30% less calories a day than before. Almost anyone will lose weight
Vernada
AG
P.U.T.U said:

For the most part if you eat a good diet for your body type you don't need to fast. Like any diet when you get on it you will lose weight since your get on a schedule and drop calories. Age also matters.

Most of the people I have known that have done IF eat at least 20-30% less calories a day than before. Almost anyone will lose weight

Yet when I've done reduced calorie diets I've never had success anywhere close to what I'm seeing now....
P.U.T.U
AG
Glad it works, it works for some and not others
merc
AG
I started 18/6 about 3 years ago. I try to do one 48 hour fast a quarter and will randomly throw in some 24 hours here and there where I feel like it. Combine with working out 4 to 6 times a week and eating healthy 90% of the time I went from 220 lbs to 185 fairly quickly and have just hovered within that area for a couple years. Even if I have a big cheat meal with a lot of carbs and a dessert or drink a decent amount of beer watching A&M sports it doesn't really bother me or my weight. It just feels like a good groove to be in.
Your Mom And Them
I've been doing 16/8 for the last week. Surprisingly, it's been much easier than I thought it would be. I break my fast with either veggie snacks of broccoli/cauliflower/tomatoes or a snack of turkey sticks and a cheese stick (Trying to get that protein back in my system) I also pack a handful of grapes and some sliced cucumbers to munch on throughout the day. I may eat a protein/energy bar if I feel the urge, but it's pretty rare. I also work out from 6:00-7:00 about 4-5 times per week. I come home and then eat whatever we are having for dinner and also have a glass of red wine per doctors orders to increase my HDL. In one week, I'm down 6 lbs and feel better. I'll probably venture into the extended fasting world of 20+ hrs at some point, but not right now. I want to get my body used to this before I move into that realm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.