Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The healthy get punished

6,349 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by c-jags
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I manage 10 guys in a control room, and I by far miss work the least amount (1 day every 2.5 years or so).

I woke up at 0530 on 1/31 to work out (normally get up at 0430 but today was a light cardio day) and currently covering the night guys shift pushing 21 hours straight up. The guy who called out sick: eats carnival corn dogs and pizza/burgers all the time, doesn't work out at all, and not surprisingly is sick often. The obese guy who works for me...16 sick calls since May 2018.

So not only do I feel us healthy people that get off our ass to work out or avoid crappy food have to pick up the slack for the people with no discipline, but of course we have to shoulder the higher costs of healthcare for their bad decisions. I swear, fatty should have a higher premium at work and HR should grow balls and allow us to doc pay for excessive sick calls (they strategically avoid enough consecutive days to avoid FMLA).

Rant over
Woods Ag
AG
Friend was frustrated about the same thing the other day. Someone that reports to them is good af their job, but the whole family is constantly sick so they're always out which adds to his workload to complete the work that this person cannot complete. This person is also extremely obese, shovels nothing but junk into their mouths and their family is the same way.

My question: is this a fireable offense? It should be.
gigemJTH12
AG
the company I just signed with offers 100 bucks a month off your health insurance if you are in shape. I didnt even ask what the qualifications are because I know I will meet them no matter what, but when I start on the 11th I will let yall know.

agree with OP though. Health insurance should be priced based on your health. Yearly intense physical.
Pahdz
Same goes for the never ending breaks smokers "get" and no one says anything. Used to have a guy who worked for me who would brag about being first one in way ahead of everyone and I'd tell him "yeah to make up time for your twice an hour smoke breaks"
10andBOUNCE
AG
It's amazing to think how much healthier our society could be if health insurance cost was incremental based on your actual health.
GMM
We have something similar, and honestly, the standards are pretty low. You get one discount for being a non-smoker. And another discount for having a BMI under 30 or having a waist under 40 inches.
AggieOO
We have the health discounts too. It's a low bar. And if you don't qualify, you can get it anyway if you schedule a 30 min weekly call (during work hours) with a free "health coach."

For $800 a year off insurance, I doubt there are many who don't do it.

I get annoyed with all the weight loss contests with prizes. I get it, it's great people want to lose weight, but what about those of us who work our asses off to stay in shape?
wangus12
AG
We have a $300 bonus + a discount on our health insurance for being fit and healthy.

Quote:

16 sick calls since May 2018
How does he still have a job. We only get 6 sick days/year.
ptothemo
AG
This ended up being a wall of text, so I am sorry for that up front. I definitely had some thoughts here, and it ended up being much longer than I realized once typed up.

To preface, I work in group benefits administration. I am more on the technical side of delivering benefits to employees of larger employers, but my role means that I have to be pretty knowledgeable about plan design and more consultative type concepts and not just the technology we offer.

I had a pretty lengthy discussion about this with a client recently, and I think that one of the biggest obstacles is that health insurance companies and employers still haven't gotten a great feel for what defines healthy. There are key markers, but i don't know that it's down to a place where they can really aggressively reduce premiums based on those markers.

There are a number of metrics that work in this regard, but the use of them can be dangerous. For a super simple example, if a company uses BMI as the metric to qualify an employee for a health premium discount, then the guy who is in NFL linebacker shape may not qualify. That guy then takes legal or similar action against the company for the way that they offer health insurance, and it just turns into a mess. This is just one example, and it's a simple one at that, but if you extrapolate it across any number of metrics and any number of people feeling slighted, then you have a problem that most HR departments spend a ton of time trying to avoid. Group benefits are generally an HR function, and there you go.

What we see most of now is activity based incentives that are generally nice to have cost reductions in premium and/or nice to have additions to HSA, but they are not really materially changing the financial situation of the employee or their family. Get your biometric screening done and get $100, walk 10,000 steps a day and get $1 a day in your HSA type things. While these are all fine and good, they aren't changing the health of the person in a way that quantitatively impacts their potential to be a claims to premium ratio concern - and that ratio is what the provider cares about at a micro individual level and a more macro group level.

Quick edit is that the other thing that we see a lot of now is an attempt to enforce some metrics based standards for "healthy", but as others have mentioned, they are a very low bar. So, you end up with employees being able to not actually be really healthy - and therefore not reducing their potential claims to premium ratio - who qualify for the low bar healthy metrics. Low bar qualification means low number incentives, so the truly really healthy people don't get incentives proportional to their health. It's all just middle of the road stuff.

Basically, I think that we are seeing programs that are safe and just kind of cool to have simply because the design and enforcement of the type of program that would really, really reward employees for being truly healthy and ultimately work out financially and legally is just really hard and expensive to design and execute. I think that employers and providers are more and more working toward that type of aggressive plan design, but it just takes time to get there. We have to remember that this whole consumer, activity, wellness, etc. movement in group health is really not all that old still.

I would absolutely love to be able design the type of aggressive program that employees like the ones on this thread would like to see happen and that employers also would like to see happen. You would see my name in front of the word Consulting and me working toward retiring super early if that ever happened.
AggieOO
I get two weeks a year of "personal leave," aka sick time. Could take my 14 last year and already have 2 this year and still be within my threshold.

But, I didn't take a single sick day last year, and not sure I took any personal time. My paternity leave is a separate bucket, but I did take part of that...should have taken all of it...but that's another story.
chimpanzee
We're a few decades past some inflection point where being healthy for the obvious benefits it confers to your quality of life is offset by the upside of immediate gratification coupled with the promise that someone else will pay for the cost of your bad choices some decades hence.

The macro level effect of obesity in this country is going to be a huge demographic issue.
htxag09
AG
Side rant, but love when obese coworkers tell me how bad running is for me.....

That being said, the main problem in this country is diet, IMO. Go to the grocery store and look at the carts around you when checking out. Most the time they have 0 fresh veggies, maybe 1 protein, and a crap ton of instant and frozen foods. This is on top of the fast food they probably eat 3x a week.
wbt5845
AG
My wife's employer (a hospital) has tier pricing for their health insurance based on your health. The unhealthier you are, the more you pay. Basically, it starts at a set price you have to pay $20 penalties per pay period for each of the following per spouse:

1. Above the "obese" threshold for your height
2. Waist over 40" (men) or hips over ? (for women)
3. Cholesterol above some number

Then there is another whole tier if you smoke.

My employer has a set price, but offers incentives for achieving various health goals. They put the money in our HSA for us to use to meet our (grotesquely high) deductibles.
wbt5845
AG
htxag09 said:

Side rant, but love when obese coworkers tell me how bad running is for me.....

That being said, the main problem in this country is diet, IMO. Go to the grocery store and look at the carts around you when checking out. Most the time they have 0 fresh veggies, maybe 1 protein, and a crap ton of instant and frozen foods. This is on top of the fast food they probably eat 3x a week.
I have lost about 90 pounds over the last two years and all our secretaries think I'm sick. When they hear about the half marathons and Camp Gladiator, they all tell me I'm crazy and I'll tear up my knees. All the while they still chug doughnuts and sodas all day long.

You are dead right about diet though. Getting in shape is 80% eating and 20% exercise (imho). But I look on exercise not as punishment for what I eat - exercise is a celebration of what my body can now do.

jakal0722
This is one of the large reasons why I'm a proponent of vacation & sick leave just being one package. You or your family is sick all the time, less vacation. You have taken 1 day off in the past 4 years, enjoy more time at the beach.

I am definitely not a healthy person (though I'm actually working on it this year) but I'm definitely in the maybe 1 or 2 sick days every couple years and get tired of pulling weight for people who were habitually sick.
Frok
AG
Be happy you are healthy and making good health decisions. Help support healthy lifestyles to those around you. If they miss work all the time they are punishing themselves.
91_Aggie
AG
wbt5845 said:

My wife's employer (a hospital) has tier pricing for their health insurance based on your health. The unhealthier you are, the more you pay. Basically, it starts at a set price you have to pay $20 penalties per pay period for each of the following per spouse:

1. Above the "obese" threshold for your height
2. Waist over 40" (men) or hips over ? (for women)
3. Cholesterol above some number

Then there is another whole tier if you smoke.

My employer has a set price, but offers incentives for achieving various health goals. They put the money in our HSA for us to use to meet our (grotesquely high) deductibles.
We have similar thing.
You get a discount if you pass 3 of 5 health data points.
And it's a hefty discount.

But you can get a signed "waiver" from your doctor that says "Patient Passed" and you get the discount.

And yeah, my work as same experience with unhealthy people always taking more sick days and the smokers who spend their breaks smoking and then want to use the restroom outside of their breaks.
NoahAg
Simple/not simple solution: Disconnect the tie between employment and health insurance.
Woods Ag
AG
Interesting idea... Individual premiums are outrageous, but if you could get a group premium for like-minded people, it may really be possible. Say, your gym offers a group premium to those members that average 4 days a week (1 hour/day).

bert harbinson
AG
If the healthy get punished, the healthy self-employed get outright abused.
NoahAg
Woods Ag said:

Interesting idea... Individual premiums are outrageous, but if you could get a group premium for like-minded people, it may really be possible. Say, your gym offers a group premium to those members that average 4 days a week (1 hour/day).

And it's how the system operated until FDR and the Great Depression. Gov't put a freeze on pay raises so to get around it employers started offering benefits like health insurance.

I won't get into a political discussion about health insurance. I do think the gov't should not be involved. Also, people worry about "pre-existing conditions" (in this thread, wouldn't "fat" be pre-existing?) But covering pre-existing conditions necessarily increases premiums for the healthy. You can't get homeowners insurance on a "pre-existing" house fire.

Anyway, I digress...
91_Aggie
AG
Woods Ag said:

I'm not sure it would be possible.
I know my W2 from work shows they pay huge portion of the full cost of the health plan.

bigtruckguy3500
It makes perfect sense for higher insurance for the unhealthy. Bad drivers pay more. Smokers even pay more for life insurance. But this is a really complicated issue, legally, politically, ethically, administratively, etc. And would it really change behavior? Or just make it so the healthy stop subsidizing the unhealthy as much?

I can't find the article now, but it showed that financial incentives to improve health didn't really produce a significant improvement in health. I did find this, which states people offered money were more likely to quit smoking, but not lose weight (https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/do-financial-incentives-improve-health).

The problem is just cultural and lifestyle. People don't want to buy fresh produce and cook, they'd rather just eat out. The whole not cooking thing has reached epidemic levels in this country in my opinion. I've noticed that even when people say they "cook," they really mean they put a frozen pizza in the oven, or mixed a prepackaged Hamburger helper or Zatarains rice thing or something. I know parents that don't have time for breakfast, so they swing by Shipley's and buy a dozen donut holes before dropping off their kids at daycare. Then they swing by McDonalds or Whataburger on the way home. Then when the kid is old enough, he's going to have cereal for breakfast, buy lunch at school, and eat takeout for dinner. I honestly think this is going to come back to seriously bite us years down the line.

But another problem is we're not supposed to say anything about any of this. If we make someone pay more for health insurance because they're fat, we're fat shaming. If we tell someone they should cook more for their kids, or give them an apply for a snack instead of candy we're judging them "because we don't know what they're going through/what they can afford/etc."

Sorry for ranting.
htxag09
AG
Yep, what I tried saying in my rant as well.

Doesn't matter if you give someone an incentive to walk 10,000 steps a day if all they're doing is walking to McDonald's to get a Big Mac with super sized fries and coke.
newhowdyag2004
I didn't expect to see this much activity...looks like a lot of people are fed up with the unhealthy culture we live in.

I find it so funny that the company preaches health and send us healthy living emails, but when food is ordered for meetings, etc, it's the worst. Hell, how about ordering the same foods, fine, but no to the trays of cookies and brownies. When I order food for our meetings, I don't buy soft drinks (drink water or then walk your butt down to the vending machine) and I don't get any desert.

Oh and my boss, a "vegan" keeps telling me dietary fat is bad...she's fat! How a vegan, who's been one most whole life, can't see how carbs get her fat is beyond me.
expresswrittenconsent
So many victims.
FbgTxAg
AG
Fitness and Education are exactly the same.

In order to be fit or educated, it's all about discipline, commitment, active practice, and work ethic. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

I laugh every time I hear some idiot say "education" is a "right." May as well say it's a "right" to run 5 minute miles or bench 300.
Pahdz
To be fair, the argument is "access to education"
FbgTxAg
AG
Pahdz said:

To be fair, the argument is "access to education"

In this day and age, that's a tablet or smartphone and a WiFi connection. Thats 5,000 times more access to information than Aristotle, Einstein, and DaVinci had combined.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Pahdz
Okay you're one of those anti public school guys I see.

Let's do it your way, leave education up to the individuals and see how we end up

Edit- the individual controls how educated they want to be. Don't argue that. Just don't get what you mean by your comments. So what if there is new tech, those are just tools for education.
Vernada
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

I didn't expect to see this much activity...looks like a lot of people are fed up with the unhealthy culture we live in.

Yes. Shocking on a fitness board. That's not exactly polling the general public.
aggie appraiser
The problem isn't access to information, but that the government and experts are giving bad/incorrect information. The government caused this problem.
Pahdz
Too much information out there now it's a full time job to sift through the bull***** And everyone's a guru standing in line to get on Joe Rogan's pod and hawk their line of products
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
Absolutely the burden of efficiency is more responsibility. The healthy are more efficient, therefore we are burdened with more. The strong will always carry the weak. I used to get real bent out of shape about this when I had a coworker that was always out and I was left picking up the slack. I eventually accepted this as normal and saw that the real victory was that my quality of life is much better, I don't feel like a tub of goo all day long, I'm rarely sick, and I will probably get to enjoy my family for YEARS longer than the unhealthy colleagues I have. This perspective has really helped.
A. Solzhenitsyn
at the risk of making this political...

we will never be able to separate the healthy from the unhealthy when it comes to insurance and insurance premiums. every one of those coke drinking, cigarette smoking, donut eating fatasses represents a vote, and there are a lot more of them than there are of us. with "affordable health insurance" being such a major political and cultural talking point, our overlords would never let those of us who require hardly any healthcare take our dollars out of the pool. it's politically untenable.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.