Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Medical Marijuana

6,982 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DaveAg77
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With my recent conversion to believing the hype of CBD oil (may change my mind and I do understand the placebo effect), I've come to the realization that if marijuana is not legalized it should at be at least be available for research.

I fully recognize the health dangers of using, but I also fully recognize the dangers of using alcohol. After researching it.. a lot, I've come to the belief that if you are okay with tobacco and alcohol being legal and you are not okay with marijuana, you are hypocrit.

I get routinely drug tested so I do not use. But with CBD being a game changer with me, I would try it in a heart beat if I knew I would t get fired.

I'm curious if anyone is willing to share their experiences and perhaps thoughts on this.
Class of '94
AggieOO
I firmly believe that marijuana is way less destructive than alcohol. That said, I don't partake in the former mostly because it's not legal here. If it was legal, I don't think I'd be a regular user, but would likely partake from time to time. And FTR, I think it should be legal, and I think we will see it get federally legalized nationwide in my lifetime.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Texas will get medical in 2019. It will be off schedule one in the next 5 years. No, really.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
c-jags
Geriatric Punk said:

Texas will get medical in 2019. It will be off schedule one in the next 5 years. No, really.

i'm fairly right leaning, and my local state rep sent a mailer asking what i'd like to see addressed. i put this as the only thing i would like for him to work on. he probably won't since i know him from our conservative church, but any other cause I'd like for him to pick up, he already would be.

i've never used, i probably will never use. no desire. but keeping it illegal at this point seems futile. While I may not care for the politics of Colorado, California, Nevada, or Washington... it's obvious that their legalization has not brought about the destruction of their states. If we have an option to get people an alternative medicine that works, do it.
Geriatric Punk
AG
What's funny is that I don't particularly care for it. My ultra right wing southern baptist father is all for it, though. Go figure.
NoahAg
Pretty much agree with everything above. I'm about as conservative as you can get (trending more libertarian every year) and I think it should be legalized/decriminalized.

I've never tried it, and don't plan to.* But I don't see how anyone could say it's more "dangerous" than tobacco, alcohol, McDonald's, etc.

Bottom line for me is I don't believe government should be in the business of protecting me from myself.

*<If research shows pot use could aid my marathon training and increase my chances of a BQ then I would seriously consider partaking. >
Hoosegow
Why are you so confident GP? I would think as conservative as Texas is that we would be the last state to do this. I think the federal government removing it from the schedule 1 list is more likely to happen than Texas doing anything.
Class of '94
Geriatric Punk
AG
Hoosegow said:

Why are you so confident GP? I would think as conservative as Texas is that we would be the last state to do this. I think the federal government removing it from the schedule 1 list is more likely to happen than Texas doing anything.
Technically, Texas already has medical marijuana for epilepsy. The way they worded the statute makes it impractical (if not impossible) to implement, though. So, they reworded the statute in proposed legislation in 2017 to omit words like "prescribe" in favor of "recommend" (makes it possible to get "prescriptions" without stepping on the current regs) and amending the list of ailments to include cancer, PTSD, and things like chronic pain.

They had the votes to get it done last session. It just never made the voting calendar. Even Abbott has backed off his "I'll veto" rhetoric.

Don't get me wrong, it won't go full recreational. Medical, however, will get the go ahead. Now, it might take a year to get licensing, zoning, etc., squared away, but I'm willing to bet we see a legal status change this session.
Geriatric Punk
AG
NoahAg said:

*<If research shows pot use could aid my marathon training and increase my chances of a BQ then I would seriously consider partaking. >
You laugh, but my friend who was a Brooks ultra runner swears by it. She's pretty wild, though.

Dale Gribble
Hoosegow said:

Oklahoma is as conservative as Texas if not more so, and got medical approved last summer. My wife is going in this week to get her medical card approved.
c-jags
Hoosegow said:

Alabama, Miss, or Louisiana will be last, I assure you.
TxAg20
AG
Hoosegow said:

I fully recognize the health dangers of using, but I also fully recognize the dangers of using alcohol. After researching it.. a lot, I've come to the belief that if you are okay with tobacco and alcohol being legal and you are not okay with marijuana, you are hypocrit.

I don't oppose the legalization of marijuana, so I guess I'm not a "hypocrit". I do believe most supporters of legalization blindly support it.

Here's an article that details some of the negatives of legalization:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/marijuana-is-more-dangerous-than-you-think-11546527075

I'll leave my personal opinion about what the government should and shouldn't do out of this, but my support of legalization has more to do with government intervention than marijuana being a panacea that everyone should use.
badharambe
AG
As an investor in this space, I would be surprised if cannabis was not federally legal within the next 10 years.
gigemJTH12
AG
how did you invest? if you dont mind me asking
Rudyjax
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

NoahAg said:

You laugh, but my friend who was a Brooks ultra runner swears by it. She's pretty wild, though.

It aids significantly with recovery.
AggieOO
Rudyjax said:

Geriatric Punk said:

NoahAg said:

It aids significantly with recovery.
there are those in the ultra world that take it/use it during runs/races, which is generally frowned upon. Supposedly helps with disassociating from pain.
Rudyjax
AG
I can see that.

Doesn't time slow down though?
wangus12
AG
I don't really care if it is legal or not. I put it on the same level as alcohol and tobacco as someone said above. However, I do know that I'll never understand how someone can stand the smell. That stuff is potently awful and in my opinion, worse than cigarette smoke.
AggieOO
couldn't tell you.

i'd also argue that you can likely get the same recovery benefits from hemp/cbd. Seems as though you don't need the thc for the recovery benefits.
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

I don't really care if it is legal or not. I put it on the same level as alcohol and tobacco as someone said above. However, I do know that I'll never understand how someone can stand the smell. That stuff is potently awful and in my opinion, worse than cigarette smoke.
i personally think cigarette smoke is worse, although some skunky weed is pretty damn bad.

that said, there are other ways to use it besides smoking.
Hoosegow
I remember seeing something about there is a synergistic effect that you dont get by taking THC and CBD separately.

I do agree that it isn't a cure all. However, if my shoulder gets to the point where i have to decide if I'm going to lose my job from using marijuana for pain or keep my job and go down the opioid highway...

There are other jobs and I would try it first.
Class of '94
BQ2001
AG
I disagree with cigs smelling worse, my across the street neighbor smokes every day (legal here) and when he's blowing smoke out his window it is pretty bad. Seems to travel more than cig smoke.
NoahAg
gigemJTH12 said:

how did you invest? if you dont mind me asking
NARC!

Hoosegow
I'm not disagreeing that there are dangers with using. However, from what I've read, the dangers of alcohol and cigarettes are worse. All I'm saying is that if people are okay with alcohol and tobacco being legal but aren't okay with marijuana being legal is hypocritical.

I also said, at bare minimum there should be loosening of the regulations so that researchers can research it.
Class of '94
AggieOO
BQ2001 said:

I disagree with cigs smelling worse, my across the street neighbor smokes every day (legal here) and when he's blowing smoke out his window it is pretty bad. Seems to travel more than cig smoke.

It's a personal thing. I absolutely detest cigarette smoke.
Grapesoda2525
c-jags said:

Hoosegow said:

Alabama, Miss, or Louisiana will be last, I assure you.
Idaho or Alabama will be last.

Alabama gave us Jeff sessions and people in that state are just as backwards as he is.

Idaho vetoed CBD oil legislation a few years ago and look at them geographically. Canada to their north, they also share a border with Washington and Oregon. I think being anti marijuana is something they take pride in and they won't give an inch until the federal government steps in.

Until then, all we can do is root for other states and countries to legalize. Unfortunately, Texas is horrible on this issue.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Idaho? Really? That surprises me. I'm sure the stoners in Couer d' Alene and Drigs aren't representative of the state, but that is really my only frame of reference. That and Uncle Rico.

Personally, my money would be on Mississippi being last. But, Alabama wouldn't shock me.
expresswrittenconsent
Rudyjax said:

I can see that.

Time? Like per mile pace?
Rudyjax
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Rudyjax said:

I can see that.

Time? Like per mile pace?

Lol. Like when you're high time slows down. So if you were running, it may seem like 30 seconds is an hour.
expresswrittenconsent
No, that's ridiculous.
Rudyjax
AG

No, that's ridiculous.

Lol. It doesn't literally slow down time it feels like time has slowed.

https://www.leafly.com/news/science-tech/marijuana-time-perception
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah, no it doesnt. 5 posts ago you asked a silly question, now you're an expert?
Heres a clue - the way TV portrays everything (tobacco, alcohol, all drugs) as some hazy time loss isnt real.
Since you've obviously never toked and run have you ever done a beer mile or a hash harrier type run and then drink beers? A beer buzz doesnt cause 30 seconds to seem like an hour. Neither does a couple hits off a joint.
Rudyjax
AG

Yeah, no it doesnt. 5 posts ago you asked a silly question, now you're an expert?
Heres a clue - the way TV portrays everything (tobacco, alcohol, all drugs) as some hazy time loss isnt real.
Since you've obviously never toked and run have you ever done a beer mile or a hash harrier type run and then drink beers? A beer buzz doesnt cause 30 seconds to seem like an hour. Neither does a couple hits off a joint.

It wasn't a question moreso a joke that went over most people's heads.

We're not talking about a beer buzz.

When I have been high, I have thought time went slower than it actually did.

No I have never run high, but have done a beer mile in under 8 minutes and have had quite a bit after a marathon. Beer doesn't change perception like marijuana does.

Maybe it doesn't happen to you, but yes, to some people time slows down.

expresswrittenconsent
But again, you're not being realistic.
You asked if it makes 30 seconds seem like an hour.

Let's say you plan to run your daily 5mi at 7am but dont get up in time so you plan to run after work at 5. You end up drinking 2 beers at happy hour but still go run at 5pm. Are you too drunk to jog? Are you too drunk to look at your watch and look at your time? Are you too drunk to be able to have the cognitive function to know your normal neighborhood loop? Not binge drinking 8 shots, just having a beer or two.
Going for a run after smoking a bowl is not any different. The buzz doesnt prevent you from doing those things. Your mind doesnt leave you. You dont lose the ability to look at a clock, or carry on a convo or know the route you planned to run, or tie your shoes.

So again, no, you dont lose time or think 30 seconds is an hour.
AggieOO
Hate to tell you, but lots of people perceive time to go slow while running high. Hell, there was a thread about it on an ultra trail group on FB today.

It may not for you, but does for some.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.