Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

IMF Repository

7,060 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Txmoe
aggie appraiser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to start logging IMF information in this thread for any who might be interested in learning more about it.

Jason Fung: The Complete Guide to Fasting (& how to burn fat)

Quote:

View the complete transcript on our website here: https://180nutrition.com.au/180-tv/ja...

This week welcome to the show Jason Fung. He is a Toronto based nephrologist. He completed medical school and internal medicine at the University of Toronto before finishing his nephrology fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles at the Cedars-Sinai hospital. He joined Scarborough General Hospital in 2001 where he continues to practice.

Questions we ask in this episode:

Fasting can be intimidating and scary. ie: I will starve, waste-away and lose my muscle. Should we be fearful?

Is fasting for everyone?

The weight loss industry tells us to eat less calories, but snack between meals. Won't fasting put us into starvation mode?

Does fasting give us a license to eat whatever we want when we are not fasting?

Can fasting benefit athletes and how would they apply it?

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

The video below is fascinating and explains why much of our common knowledge of weight gain/loss is just fundamentally wrong.

Quote:

Dr. Jason Fung completed medical school and internal medicine at the University of Toronto before finishing his nephrology fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles at the Cedars-Sinai hospital.

He now has a practice in Ontario, Canada where he uses his Intensive Dietary Management program to help all sorts of patients, but especially those suffering from the two big epidemics of modern times: obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Dr. Fung uses innovative solutions to these problems, realising that conventional treatments are not that effective in helping people.

added 1/10/2019

Leptin & Insulin Resistance Balancing Tips w/ Jason Fung, MD

Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

Amazing talk on why people gain weight and what is going on with diabetes/pre-diabetes

Quote:

Can a person be "cured" of Type 2 Diabetes? Dr. Sarah Hallberg provides compelling evidence that it can, and the solution is simpler than you might think.

Dr. Sarah Hallberg is the Medical Director of the Medically Supervised Weight Loss Program at IU Health Arnett, a program she created. She is board certified in both obesity medicine and internal medicine and has a Master's Degree in Exercise Physiology. She has recently created what is only the second non-surgical weight loss rotation in the country for medical students. Her program has consistently exceeded national benchmarks for weight loss, and has been highly successful in reversing diabetes and other metabolic diseases. Dr. Hallberg is also the co-author of www.fitteru.us, a blog about health and wellness.

Vernada
AG
Ever since I came across Tailgate88's thread, I'm been doing a kinda IMF.

Basically no breakfast, around 400cal for lunch, then a normal dinner between 5-6.

At some point, I figure I'll try to introduce a day where I only do 600-800 calories - ie lunch and dinner of about 400 cal each.

I was doing pre-holiday break and am back at it 100%. Curious to see what happens. Easy as can be so far.
aggie appraiser
Vernada said:

Ever since I came across Tailgate88's thread, I'm been doing a kinda IMF.

Basically no breakfast, around 400cal for lunch, then a normal dinner between 5-6.

At some point, I figure I'll try to introduce a day where I only do 600-800 calories - ie lunch and dinner of about 400 cal each.

I was doing pre-holiday break and am back at it 100%. Curious to see what happens. Easy as can be so far.

From what I've learned, the longer you can sustain the fast, the more beneficial health properties you receive and the body burns more fat.

For me, I try to shorten my eating window a little at a time and increase my fasting period. I just started, but I'm looking at the health benefits of longer fasts.
Vernada
AG
I'm estimating my fast period is around 18 hours. I thought for IMF that was pretty normal?
TommyGun
AG
Vernada said:

I'm estimating my fast period is around 18 hours. I thought for IMF that was pretty normal?

Yep, that's pretty normal. I lost 25 lbs over a 3 month period last year doing an 18 hr fast at least 5-6 days per week. Drop a few carbs and narrow you eating window and good things will happen. When you stall, just drop a few more or narrow your window further to get things moving the direction you want.

aggie appraiser
Vernada said:

There appear to be lots of variations, so I don't know what normal is. You can modify this to fit your lifestyle. Some people do alternating days, 5 feed/2 fast, 4 feed/3 fast, or any number of fasting hours per day.

If you are having success, keep doing what you are doing.
Vernada
AG
Down 1.6# after 1 week of imf with minimal effort. Hopefully that's the way the trend will go for a while.
aggie appraiser
Vernada said:

Down 1.6# after 1 week of imf with minimal effort. Hopefully that's the way the trend will go for a while.

That's great. Extend your fasting period as it works for you and you'll continue to see improved results. Some people go to a snack for the first meal and have their main meal at supper time. Seems to work well.
aggie appraiser
Just added a new video with a doctor talking about the cause of weight problems, reversing diabetes, and pre-diabetes
aggie appraiser
Linked in an article discussing the benefits of long term fasting with chemotherapy patients. It helps regenerate the immune system.

USC Researchers Discover How to Regenerate Your Entire Immune System In Only 72 Hours

Quote:

It's often used as a quick weight loss method but fasting could also help the body to fight off disease.
Refraining from food for as little as two days can regenerate the immune system, helping the body to fight infection, according to a new study.

Scientists at the University of Southern California said the findings could have major implications for the elderly and people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients.

Researchers tested the effects of fasting for two to four day periods over the course of six months on both mice and humans.

In both cases, long periods of not eating significantly lowered white blood cell counts.

And in mice, each cycle of fasting then "flipped a regenerative switch" that triggered stem cell-based regeneration of new white blood cells, thereby renewing the body's defence system.
Valter Longo, Professor of Gerontology and the Biological Sciences at the University of Southern California, said:"It gives the OK for stem cells to go ahead and begin proliferating and rebuild the entire system.
TresPuertas
AG
A couple of questions for those who are currently participating:

1. When you talk about an 18 hour fast does that include sleep? I'm guessing it does but what I was curious about is do you apply the time of after dinner to the time you wake up the next day?

2. In these fast periods do you consume 0 calories or 600-700 like is discussed in Tailgaters thread.

3. During the fast periods do you consume any caffeine like black coffee or diet sodas? In my experience those help me with appetite suppression and was curious if those were accepted

Kurt Gowdy
AG
1. It includes sleep. My schedule allows me to eat from 11am/noon - 7pm.

2. 0 calories during fasting time.

3. Black coffee and sparkling water until lunch. Unsweetened tea, sparkling water, and crystal light during the eating period.
aggie appraiser
1. Kurt answered it. It begins when you stop eating and continues until you eat or drink something that triggers an insulin response.

2. There are different type of fasts, water fast, dry fast, The Daniel Fast, and others that are times or daily. Some of these you can eat certain types of foods or have a very small meal during the fast. The water fast allows only water, the dry fast doesn't allow anything. When I talk about fasting, I'm talking about a water fast (including unsweetened tea). No food or anything that would trigger an insulin response.

3. I'm not a coffee drinker, but most people I've heard discuss it say black coffee is ok without sugar and creamer. I drink unsweet tea or water with apple cider vinegar.
trip
AG
Man. First week down of the 18 hours.

Did my first day of 800 cals. not as bad as i expected.

Dropped a lot of weight. I am sure I will rebound some when I eat again. Come on noon.

The morning cardo with a really empty stomach is nice. No bloating or GI issues.

Black coffee will be hard. I like some skim milk in it.

One question:
I have kids that are in sports so my last opportunity to eat is 6:00 then off to practice. I get home from practice too late.
Should I shift everything back two hours? so eat from 10 to 6 instead of 12 to 8. Seems to be working so far.
aggie appraiser
Just do 12-6. You won't notice the difference after a few days. That will give a couple of extra hours of burning fat.
Tailgate88
AG
trip said:

Dropped a lot of weight. I am sure I will rebound some when I eat again. Come on noon.

The morning cardo with a really empty stomach is nice. No bloating or GI issues.

One question:
I have kids that are in sports so my last opportunity to eat is 6:00 then off to practice. I get home from practice too late.
Should I shift everything back two hours? so eat from 10 to 6 instead of 12 to 8. Seems to be working so far.
It doesn't matter when your eight hour window is - shift away. And after you do it for awhile, the hunger pangs (and I would argue, the habit of eating at certain times) will diminish greatly. You're essentially teaching your body that it doesn't have to "notify you" (hunger pangs) every time you have gone without eating for a bit.

My entire attitude towards food is different now. I used to always be thinking about what my next meal would be, and when. By planning your meals and snacks ahead of time, you don't have to waste time making those decisions in the moment. And we all know decisions made in the moment will not be as decisions made ahead of time.

Food used to control me - now I control my relationship with food.
AggieChemist
AG
Tailgate88 said:

trip said:

One question:
It doesn't matter when your eight hour window is - shift away. And after you do it for awhile, the hunger pangs (and I would argue, the habit of eating at certain times) will diminish greatly. You're essentially teaching your body that it doesn't have to "notify you" (hunger pangs) every time you have gone without eating for a bit.

My entire attitude towards food is different now. I used to always be thinking about what my next meal would be, and when. By planning your meals and snacks ahead of time, you don't have to waste time making those decisions in the moment. And we all know decisions made in the moment will not be as decisions made ahead of time.

Food used to control me - now I control my relationship with food.
Agreed. One of the most powerful aspects of fasting (for me) is breaking my habits (addiction?) to eating.
wbt5845
AG
Question for the gurus - how many days a week do you fast? I am eating at a calorie deficit anyway and want to try and speed it up losing Christmas weight ahead of the Cowtown.

I've lost about 5 pounds in January and want to lose as much as I can (hopefully 15 more) before Feb. 23. I am doing marathon training right now if that matters.
Vernada
AG
I'm currently doing it daily - with Sat/Sun a little less structured. Basically, I don't let it interfere with family time.

So this week I'm fasting all day except for family dinner. So roughly 22/2. (22 hour fast, eat in 2 hour window).
aggie appraiser
I'm trying to do alternate day fasting, ADF, which means fast one day and eat the next. Since I'm trying to maximize the health benefit from auto ph agy, I'm only eating one meal on my eating day, basically an hour long window. So, I'm fasting for 47 hours, eating for 1 hour, fasting for 47 hours, eating for 1 hour, etc. This should get me into autoph agy 3-4 times per week and should also help me get the weight off.

You can change it up in whatever way works for you, from just cutting out breakfast to fasting for multiple days. If you want more results, extend your fasting period. Also, the ketogenic diet is supposed to work great with fasting.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, since I'm in the middle of training for a marathon, so I'm leary of 22/2 or something like that.

I'll try the 18/6 on days I do not have an evening run scheduled. That should be at least 4 days a week, depending on the weather.

I'm doing my first fast today and it isn't too bad (yet). Ate at 6 pm last night so I'm in prime fat burning time now, right? I can literally feel it melting off of me!

And I've been doing keto for quite sometime. I started 2 years ago not being able to run down the block. Just looking for a short term quick weight loss mechanism. Keto works fine but takes time.

P.S. - thanks for this info guys. I remember my dad (a Marine NCO) used to always lose weight by "just cut out breakfast" (in his words). I think he was doing IMF before IMF was cool.
Tailgate88
AG
wbt5845 said:

Question for the gurus - how many days a week do you fast? I am eating at a calorie deficit anyway and want to try and speed it up losing Christmas weight ahead of the Cowtown.

I've lost about 5 pounds in January and want to lose as much as I can (hopefully 15 more) before Feb. 23. I am doing marathon training right now if that matters.
Good luck at Cowtown. Unfortunately my running days are over (currently at home recovering from hip replacement last week). Trying to decide what my non-impact cardio option will be going forward...

For me, IMF is just my normal way of eating. I very rarely eat breakfast because my body does not expect food until mid-day now. Exceptions are family gatherings (Christmas morning etc.) or vacation etc. I mean, if we're going for breakfast tacos in Port A, I'm in. :-)

For lunch, I always go light, usually a salad or cup of soup if it's a cold day. Basically I try to save my calories for dinner. Ironically on the weekends we usually don't have a formal lunch so I often am busy around the house and won't eat lunch. MId-afternoon or so I'll notice I'm hungry and we'll get out some veggies and cheese to munch on and then roll into dinner. We go out one night either Fri or Sat and usually have a family dinner with all our kids over on the other.
Vernada
AG
Down another 4ish pounds this week. All fat. The BF% reading on my scale is down 2% and I can tell it's all from my midsection. Pretty incredible.
Nosh
These threads always fascinate me.
TresPuertas
AG
Nosh said:

These threads always fascinate me.

Why?
Vernada
AG
On about hour 23 and just finished a 12 mile hike. No problem.
bigtruckguy3500
I thought this thread was about iron mans, so I didn't click on it till now.

Anyways, I've been doing IF for about 7 years now, I think. First heard about it here thanks to AggieLAX (I think). Initially was able to lose a good bit of weight while getting a good bit stronger. Since then I've been able to keep the weight off with minimal effort, though I go through cycles on strength depending on how much I'm working out.

One thing I've noticed, and was curious if anyone else has noticed it as well, is that if I open my fast with a carby meal, I have a hard time getting as many calories as I want later in the day. I just feel really full when I want to eat my final meal. Same thing happens if I eat a very small meal to break my fast earlier than expected, and then don't eat anything until dinner time. It's very hard to get in my calorie goal. However, if I just eat all my calories in something like 2 hours, and eat the same foods, I can easily pound it all down, and sometimes more, without feeling too bloated.

Anyone experience anything like that?
TresPuertas
AG
Has anyone had any problems with headaches on fasting days. They aren't extreme but after 3 weeks of doing this its pretty clear that there is a correlation between fasting days and minor headaches. Was curious if anyone else was having any of these or other issues
AggieChemist
AG
I'm currently 53 hours into a fast and have a very low-key headache. But I also had a crazy day at work that absolutely could have contributed. I went 100 mph with no break today.
AggieChemist
AG
TresPuertas said:

Has anyone had any problems with headaches on fasting days. They aren't extreme but after 3 weeks of doing this its pretty clear that there is a correlation between fasting days and minor headaches. Was curious if anyone else was having any of these or other issues

Are you keto/fat adapted? You are probably going into ketosis. I had bad headaches when I first went keto during the adaption phase.
bigtruckguy3500
What do your non-fasting days look like? Both in the amount of carbs/fat/protein you're eating, as well as timing of meals. I do daily 16-20 hour fasting and don't get headaches. I have extended that to 48 hours once without a headache as well. If you're going to do 24 hour fasts and eat normally inbetween, you might want to consider going at least 12 hours without calories on your non fast days. Also, as AggieChemist alluded to, increase your fat intake and decrease carbs. Also, on fasting days, drink some sort of calorie free electrolyte drink, or supplement the night before with lots of sodium and potassium contianing foods.
ChrisTheClassic
AG
I have a question. Been doing IF for a few weeks and slowly trying to integrate some actual fasting days into my schedule each week. My problem isn't being hungry during the day, so far that has been fine. But after I eat a smallish dinner, I am freaking starving for the rest of the night and it makes it difficult to sleep. Anyone else had this? I know that this is not sustainable in the long run if dinner makes me this hungry on fasting days.
aggie appraiser
ChrisTheClassic said:

I have a question. Been doing IF for a few weeks and slowly trying to integrate some actual fasting days into my schedule each week. My problem isn't being hungry during the day, so far that has been fine. But after I eat a smallish dinner, I am freaking starving for the rest of the night and it makes it difficult to sleep. Anyone else had this? I know that this is not sustainable in the long run if dinner makes me this hungry on fasting days.
Eat until you are satisfied. When you fast, don't consume anything that will trigger an insulin response. It's that easy. Don't worry about calorie intake and don't limit yourself during your feeding window.

You can have dessert if you like, but fill up on nutritious foods and help yourself to the proteins and fats.
ChrisTheClassic
AG
Thanks for the reply. That's kinda what I figured. I felt full at dinner tonight and like 30 minutes later was starving again. Just trying not to eat a ton on fasting days. 500 calories feels impossible to me lol. I am just trying to eat healthier and abiding carbs at dinner on fast days. Probably just going to take a little while to get used to
aggie appraiser
It doesn't take long. They say that it's easier if you go easy on the carbs. I didn't really change my eating habits at all. My first week I had steak and potatoes every night and ice cream for dessert. Since then, I tightened up my window and eat in a 1 hour window and skip days without any problem. I'm currently starting the 4th day of an extended fast and I might try to go 7 days. I feel great and will stop if I notice any problems.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.