Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Dryuary 2019

20,202 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Swarely
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting after today's bowl games. Who's in?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
K Bo
AG
I started 12 days ago but plan to keep going. Let's do this!
wbt5845
AG
Me too, but I'm not drinking today either.
AggieOO
Started today.

My one exception this month is my birthday.
RickSawyer
AG
I am down for support! I don't drink at all anymore and enjoy supporting those who are looking for a reset whether it be a temporary stroll through alcohol free lifestyle or a commitment towards a longer term change!
Spore Ag
Always do February, being the shortest month and not much going on for me.
TurboVelo
AG
My wife and I are in. We knew that last night was going to be the last time for the month. Just a good reset for the body, cut some calories, and save a little money.
Swarely
I'm in. Did the first 100 days sober last year. Looking to do 110 this year.
aggiejim70
AG
If I don't drink and don't die 'til the 31st, it will be my 28th consecutive Dryuary.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Geriatric Punk
AG
Love it. Let's rock.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I always read these and never participate but this year I told myself I was. Got knocked on my butt by diverticulitis and sent to the ER right after Christmas, so between the antiobiotics and the desire to be kind to my body I got a head start on December 27th. Thanks for the motivation!
txaggie05
AG
In
big1russ
This is the first time I say it out loud, but I've been planning on drying out a little bit in 2019.

I say this year, but we'll see how long it lasts. I lost a TON of weight in 2018, but I also drank ALOT. It's actually kind of mind blowing that I lost as much weight as I did without cutting back at all on the booze. It honestly makes me wonder just where I'd be today had I drank even just a little bit less.

Also, as I continue to loose weight, and it gets easier and easier to get drunk, to more unhealthy my drinking feels mentally. I don't want to become that guy that can't just have one. That's where I feel like I'm headed, and I want to head that off at the pass.
reb,
AG
do i get to play if ive already been sober forever and a day (it feels like)?
wbt5845
AG
To those on the fence - you often do not realize just how good you'll feel if you cut out booze. You think you HAVE to drink to fit in, to get along, to have a good time. But you don't.

Waking up wide awake, peppy and well rested is a wonderful gift to give yourself. And when you start looking at your drunk friends through sober eyes, you'll wonder why you ever thought that was a good idea.

Try it, just for fun - just one month. You'll be surprised at how good you feel.
aggiederelict
I'm jumping in. Starting my own physical therapy business today and this makes sense on a lot of levels.

If any of you guys or gals needs physical therapy in the Austin area, I would be glad to help.
Swarely
What's you weight loss goal for 2019? I don't know if I told you this, but Steven seeing you over thanksgiving really opened his eyes to how successful dieting could be. He's hitting the ground running this year. He's aiming to lose another 100 this year.
jetch17
AG
AggieOO said:

Started today.

My one exception this month is my birthday.

Same.
AggieOO
wbt5845 said:

Waking up wide awake, peppy and well rested is a wonderful gift to give yourself.

when and how do I make this happen? lol.

I quit drinking for 6 months a few years ago, not once did I wake up, "peppy." I am not a morning person, and have never been one, alcohol or not. I feel tired and slow every single morning regardless of how much sleep I've gotten or whether or not I drank the night before....been this way since I was a kid.
Geriatric Punk
AG
wbt5845 said:

And when you start looking at your drunk friends through sober eyes, you'll wonder why you ever thought that was a good idea.

I'm always surprised at how surprised I am by this revelation. I drink way more than my wife. When ever she drinks too much and I am sober, I get really annoyed. Then it hits me: wow - she must be really patient to have put up with me all of those many many times the roles were reversed.

TxAg20
AG
In for January. Last drink was on 12/31.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I'm doing February. January has too many days.
big1russ
I think I want to get down to 190 and then try to maintain that for a while.

He can do it, he's already made a ton of progress. I would def tell him not to be afraid to try different things if one diet stops working or is starting to feel like a chore. Also, if he gets down to 3x shirts or 44 waist pants, I got him covered. Lol.
98Ag99Grad
AG
For those of you doing this, how much do you normally drink? Sometimes I'll have a drink or 2 on the weekends but that's it. Went a little overboard NYE but what the hell. Are you guys drinking during the week as well?
AggieOO
Every Saturday watching college football. Was having wine with dinner a couple nights a week.

My problem is, once I start, I'll keep sipping on something until it's time for bed. Easier for me to not have anything than to have one. I also love big, malty beers, which are loaded with calories.

Also, I'm in sales, so there are lots of happy hours/dinners.
TurboVelo
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

For those of you doing this, how much do you normally drink? Sometimes I'll have a drink or 2 on the weekends but that's it. Went a little overboard NYE but what the hell. Are you guys drinking during the week as well?
More than 14 per week. My wife and I were going out to eat almost every night, and that meant a couple beers.
Scriffer
AG
In for Dryuary too.

I'd have a beer or bourbon probably 3 nights in the week and then more on weekends while out or watching football. Nothing crazy, but it doesn't help when I'm trying to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

If I'm successful along with some other goals, I may reward myself with a Peloton.
ptothemo
AG
Saw this yesterday and figured I would share. Pretty interesting that taking the month off can pay dividends through the year thereafter.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/01/02/dry-january-giving-up-alcohol-month-benefits-study/

Good luck to all of you taking this on! I'll keep an eye on this thread and may pop in every once in a while to provide some support and experience if anyone is interested in it.
Dr. Gonzo
In. May extend to Feb - if I make it through Jan.
Geriatric Punk
AG
As for quantity, drinking a four pack or two from Turning Point from Friday through Sunday. Each 16 oz can probably has damn near 400 calories.
Geriatric Punk
AG
ptothemo said:

Saw this yesterday and figured I would share. Pretty interesting that taking the month off can pay dividends through the year thereafter.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/01/02/dry-january-giving-up-alcohol-month-benefits-study/

Good luck to all of you taking this on! I'll keep an eye on this thread and may pop in every once in a while to provide some support and experience if anyone is interested in it.
Sleep, waistline, and wallet all seem to be the most noticeable changes for me after a month off.

Others that I notice, but aren't as readily noticeable, is that your skin seems to have a more consistent color to it and you have more control over your temper/stress response. I never noticed the skin thing until I looked back at photos of myself after a while away from the sauce. It was pretty wild how much healthier I looked. Not as immediately noticeable as moving up a notch on a your belt or being able to afford a new toy, but a nice change none the less.
O.G.
In. Not drinking till Cowtown.
TxAg20
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Probably average 4-5 drinks/week most of the year. Double or triple that in December.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Decided to join in minus 1 day for a celebratory bourbon on my daughter's birthday. Will carry it over a day into February to compensate.
kbw01
AG
I'm in, I think I had half a beer on the first

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.