Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The 2019 Trail Running Thread

24,996 Views | 413 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieOO
coop-aero-06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's about time to get this thread going again. I've been working on filling out my race schedule for next year after the unsuccessful Western States lottery, and I'm guessing many of you guys have been doing the same.

For 2019, the main goal is to finish my first 100 mile race. I was initially leaning towards Javelina or Rio del Lago because they are relatively flat, and late in the year which means that I could get in plenty of good training all year. But, I ended up registering for the Tahoe Rim Trail 100 in late July. It's much closer to home, and I'll be able to train on the course for much of June and July. It's technically a lottery, but close to 100% of the entrants get to run.

Last year, I think I raced a little bit too much. So this year I'm trying to thin out the race schedule and open up time for some dedicated training blocks uninterrupted with tapers, races, and recoveries. So far my year looks like this:

Jan: baby on the way
Mar: Way Too Cool 50k
Apr: American River 50 mile
July: TRT 100 mile
Aug: recover
Sept: knock out the TRT segments that I haven't yet completed or try some local FKT

I'll add in a few local 25k's and 30k's, but that's pretty much it for ultras. The big wild card is obviously the newborn baby girl. I'm about to hit 3000 miles for the 2nd straight year; I'm doubtful that will be happening again next year!

Happy trails!
AggieOO
6th rejection for me for WS100. I thought about applying to Badwater since I have the qualifications, but figured that one might be easier logistically when my daughter is a little older. My challenge for this year is that the wife is back to running, so now we have to figure out how to trade off watching the baby while the other trains. Luckily, she's old enough for the BOB stroller, so that helps. I have no idea what the second half of my year looks like. right now only planning through June. I got selected for Barkley Fall Classic, but had to turn it down b/c its the same day as Sky Island, and the wife already had dibs on that race.

Jan: get serious. beer/wine is going away for the most part, cleaning up the diet. Will probably do a shorter distance at Goodwater. 8 or 16 mile.
Feb: There's talk of doing a road half with the wife and pushing the BOB.
Mar: Big training weekend in Guadalupe Mountains NP. Also using this as chance to scout Guadalupe Ridge.
April: The Game, last man standing style race, which is a Golden Ticket for Bigs Backyard. I'm doing it solely for training. We'll see how far I get.
May: R2R2R
June: San Diego 100 (assuming I get it, but its almost 100% success in the lottery, if there's even a lottery)

Also thinking about doing the 4C yo-yo, at some point, which is 40 miles. Will likely add in some other races. Another goal is to convince Aggietaco to sign up to do something stupid.
BQ2001
AG
I'm not crazy ultra running like you all, but I am adding some trail races this year. My main races will still be 3 road marathons (Derby in Louisville, Mayors in Anchorage and Onward Shay in Boise).

I am signing up for Summer Roundup half marathon (June) and Pikes Peak Ascent (August). Also there are 2 trail 10ks that local schools put on over the summer that I'll be doing. Not sure of the exact dates yet. I had thought about doing the Leadville Heavy Half but it is the weekend before a marathon and that would probably be a bad idea.
GMM
I'm doing a trail 15K in January at Lake Grapevine, but if you say it fast, it sounds like 50K.
drivinwest
AG
Jan: Bandera 100k
Feb: Rocky 50k
March: Green Ultra at Millican 25k
April: will do either Hell's Hills or Pandora
From then on it's mostly up in the air. I may do J&J 50k in September.
AggieOO
I was thinking of hell's hills, but the game is the following weekend, so it's a tough sell with the little one. Might drive over for the millican race.

Good luck at bandera!
drivinwest
AG
Thanks! I'm really excited about it. I just hope the weather is decent. A few years ago when it was 18 at the start was a bit much for me, haha.

Cool on the Green Ultra. Let me know if you decide to come. It's a small, but fun event.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

6th rejection for me for WS100. I thought about applying to Badwater since I have the qualifications, but figured that one might be easier logistically when my daughter is a little older. My challenge for this year is that the wife is back to running, so now we have to figure out how to trade off watching the baby while the other trains. Luckily, she's old enough for the BOB stroller, so that helps. I have no idea what the second half of my year looks like. right now only planning through June. I got selected for Barkley Fall Classic, but had to turn it down b/c its the same day as Sky Island, and the wife already had dibs on that race.

Jan: get serious. beer/wine is going away for the most part, cleaning up the diet. Will probably do a shorter distance at Goodwater. 8 or 16 mile.
Feb: There's talk of doing a road half with the wife and pushing the BOB.
Mar: Big training weekend in Guadalupe Mountains NP. Also using this as chance to scout Guadalupe Ridge.
April: The Game, last man standing style race, which is a Golden Ticket for Bigs Backyard. I'm doing it solely for training. We'll see how far I get.
May: R2R2R
June: San Diego 100 (assuming I get it, but its almost 100% success in the lottery, if there's even a lottery)

Also thinking about doing the 4C yo-yo, at some point, which is 40 miles. Will likely add in some other races. Another goal is to convince Aggietaco to sign up to do something stupid.
I'm going to say R2R2R checks that box.
Aggietaco
AG
No solid plans for me for the year, just need to get back to running. I've been lazy and enjoy spending time with the kiddo at home.

I'll probably run the Goodwater marathon in January because I DNF'd it last year with some major cramps and then the R2R2R in May and Sky Island 50k in September. I wouldn't mind trying to fit a real ultra in there somewhere if I can keep to a training plan this year. Typing all of this as I eat Christmas cookies for lunch at the office...
lima bean
AG
Still working on my 2019 trail running calendar. Since Coop knocked me up and we're set to have a little coop any day now, I'm looking at races that I can sign-up for pretty late in the spring / summer or right before the race weekend.

With that, I'm hoping for:

• April: Canyons Endurance Run 25k (this is a WS100 Golden Ticket race this year, so it'll be fun to see how the 100k unfolds, but I'll enjoy the little 25k!)
  • May: Silver State 50k
  • July: Siskiyou Out Back 50mi (this was cancelled due to CA fires last year, so I already have an entry to run it this year.)

I'd also like to look at a 100k next year and a road marathon, but TBD on those at present. #1 will be life with a baby and all those changes and adventures that come with. So, here's to a return to trail running soon, and supporting Coop on his 2019 goals.
AggieOO
hopefully your return to running will be easier than my wife's. She's back at it, but she's struggling, both with getting fitness back and general discomfort from what her body went through. She ran pretty late into her pregnancy, and then switched over to the eliptical (including an hour the day she went into labor), but its been a tough road.
AggieOO
Bandera cancelled/moved to camp eagle? Ouch.

Can't believe that one. I ran some muddy 100ks at HCSNA. Crazy that the park would cancel the race.

Wonder what happens to WS qualifiers and golden tickets?
bushytailed
AG
AggieOO said:

Bandera cancelled/moved to camp eagle? Ouch.

Can't believe that one. I ran some muddy 100ks at HCSNA. Crazy that the park would cancel the race.

Wonder what happens to WS qualifiers and golden tickets?

Chris posted this afternoon that it still counts for WS and golden tickets.
AggieOO
Saw that. Good thing bc there would be a lot of pissed off people otherwise.
coop-aero-06
AG
TRT 100 mile is a go.

Baby girl coop is also here.

Going to be a crazy year!
AggieOO
congrats on both, but especially the little one!

feel free to update on how you are juggling both. Its been interesting, but not as hard as everyone told me it would be. Can't tell you how many people said something to the effect of, "better get all that running in now because after that baby comes, you won't have time to do anything."
Aggietaco
AG
I think that only applies to the mothers...
AggieOO
Aggietaco said:

i think it only applies to people who don't truly want to do what they claim they want to. You can still do most anything you want if you really want to. Might be a little different with a baby/kid who has some sort of issue, but for most of us, its just about reorganizing our day and planning. With two of us running, it takes a discussion each week to figure it out, but its not that hard.
K Bo
AG
I would just like to do more trail running this year. No races yet, just fun trail running. Last weekend I did some mixed [bike] trails at Memorial Park. This weekend I'm gonna head up to Sam Houston National Forest. I am not even sniffing the distances you guys are talking about but maybe later in the year I'll look at some shorter races.
AggieOO
K Bo said:

I would just like to do more trail running this year. No races yet, just fun trail running. Last weekend I did some mixed [bike] trails at Memorial Park. This weekend I'm gonna head up to Sam Houston Natural Forest. I am not even sniffing the distances you guys are talking about but maybe later in the year I'll look at some shorter races.
don't need to go long or even do races. This is all things trail running!

I find trail running so much more enjoyable than road running.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

Aggietaco said:

i think it only applies to people who don't truly want to do what they claim they want to. You can still do most anything you want if you really want to. Might be a little different with a baby/kid who has some sort of issue, but for most of us, its just about reorganizing our day and planning. With two of us running, it takes a discussion each week to figure it out, but its not that hard.
I was making a snipe at absent fathers there.

But I agree, we both have hour long workouts scheduled 4 times a week that are easy enough to work in. I get a little greedy when I get into running mode and add another 2-4 runs to that schedule with a long run on the weekends, but I'm fortunate enough that my better half does a lot of the heavy lifting with the little one and I really only have to act like a parent for a few hours in the evenings and on weekends.

My biggest problem since the little donut came along is that I like her, a lot, and don't particularly want to leave to go run or workout when I could be spending time with her and she's not a huge fan of the running stroller or anything that restrains her from running wild.
Aggietaco
AG
AggieOO said:

K Bo said:

I would just like to do more trail running this year. No races yet, just fun trail running. Last weekend I did some mixed [bike] trails at Memorial Park. This weekend I'm gonna head up to Sam Houston Natural Forest. I am not even sniffing the distances you guys are talking about but maybe later in the year I'll look at some shorter races.
don't need to go long or even do races. This is all things trail running!

I find trail running so much more enjoyable than road running.
Word. A few miles on the green belt after work is a great way to reset after work before heading home.
AggieOO
Aggietaco said:

AggieOO said:

Aggietaco said:

I was making a snipe at absent fathers there.

But I agree, we both have hour long workouts scheduled 4 times a week that are easy enough to work in. I get a little greedy when I get into running mode and add another 2-4 runs to that schedule with a long run on the weekends, but I'm fortunate enough that my better half does a lot of the heavy lifting with the little one and I really only have to act like a parent for a few hours in the evenings and on weekends.

My biggest problem since the little donut came along is that I like her, a lot, and don't particularly want to leave to go run or workout when I could be spending time with her and she's not a huge fan of the running stroller or anything that restrains her from running wild.

I'm lucky with my job that I have a lot of flexibility. I can usually get my workout in during the day, especially this time of year when the weather agrees.

And our little one isn't mobile yet, so she snoozes in the bob during runs.

You going to be at goodwater?
Aggietaco
AG
Haven't registered yet, still kicking around running the marathon.
AggieOO
I'm just running the 8 mile and then I'll stick around to volunteer. Guessing K and baby will come up as well.
AggieOO
What's everyone's schedule look like? I have the first half of my year mapped out, and got "approval" from the wife. Not sure what the second half of the year looks like. The wife gets June-Sept, which I'm fine with b/c means I get to not do long mileage all summer. We'll see what the end of the year holds. I have some tentative plans, but will have to see how my maintenance goes over the summer and what surprises the kid brings.

Anyway, here's what I have planned for now. This is subject to change as I see how my body holds up as I get back into serious training.

1/26 - Goodwater 8M registered
3/2 - Running everything at Brushy Creek, trail and paved (minus cut-throughs and access paths/trails). Guessing this will be 25ish miles.
3/3 - Rogue Trail Series 30K
3/16 - The Green Ultra - distance TBD
3/29-4/2 - Big training weekend in Guadalupe Mountains NP - confirmed
4/13 - The Game - last man standing format. 4.166 mile loop. run it every 60 mins.
4/20-27 - will be in Scottsdale for a wedding, so researching some mountain routes in the area
5/3 - R2R2R confirmed
5/11 - Texas Switchback 26.2 - will be week of decision after I see how I feel after the grand canyon
6/7 - San Diego 100 - registered
c-jags
I had Saddle Blazer on the calendar but when I went to register last week it was removed.

Might try Goodwater if it's not too late and doesn't conflict with kids sports.

Otherwise Crazy Desert run in San Angelo in March.

My crew is running R2R2R again but they scheduled it right by my Family's vacation so I'm out. But my vacation is going to be in CO or Utah so I can hopefully make up for it.
AggieOO
c-jags said:

I had Saddle Blazer on the calendar but when I went to register last week it was removed.

Might try Goodwater if it's not too late and doesn't conflict with kids sports.

Otherwise Crazy Desert run in San Angelo in March.

My crew is running R2R2R again but they scheduled it right by my Family's vacation so I'm out. But my vacation is going to be in CO or Utah so I can hopefully make up for it.

Yep, they canceled saddle blazer.

Goodwater is still open.
MexAgs
eh, rr50 mile so far. It's traditionally my birthday miles run so I've got a few years before I have to jump back up to the 100.

I actually have zero races set in stone unless someone can come up with some cookies to entice me with. BUT, this year will be lots and lots of training so there will surely be a few checkpoint races somewhere.
c-jags
Any reason why? My whole crew was going to run that one.
The Pilot
AG
Moving to Denver in May so I'm sure I'll be doing more trail running.
AggieOO
The Pilot said:

Jealous
coop-aero-06
AG
The Pilot said:

Yessir!
coop-aero-06
AG
The first four WS100 golden tickets were punched today at Bandera.

http://edsresults.com/bandera19/index.php?search_type=race_results&event=100K&gender=&results_per_page=400

Tyler Green and Chris Mocko went 1, 2 for the men and Brittany Peterson and Ladia Albertson-Junkans on the women's side.
Rudyjax
AG
Not running it, but doing the Bataan Memorial Death March.

26.2 with a 35# ruck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.