Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Morton's Neuroma

1,305 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by txags92
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone here dealt with Morton's Neuroma? I was diagnosed 15 or so years ago and have been able to successfully manage it but recently it's flared up and I think it's going to require surgery. If you have had it, besides changing shoes (which I have done numerous times) how did you deal with it? It's very painful in the mornings, painful when walking, but surprisingly OK when running in my Hoka Clifton 5's. Thanks.
diehard81
AG
I got an orthotic insert for my running shoes and it seemed to minimize the pain/discomfort. Still feels like the sock is gathered under my toes, but it's not so bad now. I also got a Good Feet orthotic (hard plastic) insert for my dress shoes and they helped.

I also had plantar pain, heel pain, etc. but I did 5 Ironmans and 10 marathons with those inserts...avoided surgery because I am allergic to pain and spending money.
K Bo
AG
Did you visit a podiatrist to get the orthotic insert or did you just buy OTC?
bert harbinson
AG
diehard81 said:

Still feels like the sock is gathered under my toes, but it's not so bad now.

This used to happen only near the end of long runs. Now it's almost all the time. What more can you tell us about Good Feet? I've had custom orthotics from a podiatrist before, but they were expensive for the minimal improvement they provided.
JHUAggie
I HATE MORTON'S NEUROMA

short story:
Pain originally only with running. Switched shoes, no help. Then started having pain at random times with walking on a daily basis.
Diagnosed with nonhealing stress fracture and was in CAM walker for 12 weeks.
Was in medical school listening in class and self diagnosed. Saw family doc, and referred to podiatry.
Podiatrist gave me an insert and did two steroid injections which did not work.
Was going in for a third injection and podiatrist did surgery in clinic to cut a ligament and open up the space the nerve was traversing.
Off running for four more weeks.
I have only had one incident where it caused me any pain in the 15 years since I had the procedure done.
K Bo
AG
thanks!
07fta07
AG
Yes, podiatrist did a series of injections into the nerve (with alcohol I think) to kill the nerve. Worked like a charm.
KidDoc
AG
I had this a few times when I was running frequently. I have since stopped running due to excessive lumbar pain and it hasn't bothered me since.

Mine responded well to using size EE running shoes and also the steroid injections were hugely helpful. I cannot recall if I ended up with two or three shots over several years but it would stop the pain completely for long stretches of time.

Now that I'm only doing walking or elliptical my pain level from both my back and Morton's is zilch over the last 48 months. Even though I miss running sometimes you gotta listen to the ole pain nerves.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
I was diagnosed with it by a podiatrist who wanted to do surgery to remove the nerve after several steroid injections didn't fix it. I went to an orthopedic doc for a 2nd opinion and he gave me another steroid injection and told me to stop wearing narrow shoes. I stopped wearing one pair of boots that had fairly narrow toes, and the problem went away and has never come back. My advice is before you consider surgery, get a 2nd opinion from somebody besides a podiatrist.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.