Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Best routine for bad back?

1,027 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DavidAg02
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had 2 episodes of back issues in the last 1.5 years that seriously limited my mobility. I'm finally ready to admit that it's a problem that isn't going away on its own. I'm early 50s so it's way past time for me to do something proactive. Biggest problem is a QL muscle that seizes up and is hard to release.

What types of exercises or routines do y'all do to maintain your backs? I definitely need to do some combination of stretching and strengthening.

TIA!
bam02
AG
What is a QL muscle?

Squats and dead lifts are the best. Reverse hypers are great. I don't have access to a reverse hyper machine but do a version of them with just laying on a platform. Look 'em up.
JohnnieT
AG
Yoga
bam02
AG
Yoga is awesome, too.
gigemhilo
AG
I think where most people get in trouble with their back is when they over-train certain muscles over others. The key is to have a balanced workout IMO. When the muscles are out of balance, they will cause tension with other areas around the spine and lead to muscle pain or misalignment.

I have had a bad back since mid-20s. I didn't do much about it from 25-35. Late 30s I started to cross train and even transitioned into crossfit. When I started cross-training, the condition of my back overall improved tremendously. The key was a variety of exercise with a balanced approach.

I do everything from deadlifts/squats/front squats/Overhead weights/Power moves to more functional exercises like core work, pull-ups, rope climbs, rowing, etc.

I used to think I would never be able to do those things because of the condition of my back. The key was to start small and light, and work you way into things. Listen to your body and when something hurts, go lighter or find another approach. BUT, the variety is the key, not a specific exercise.

Also I would recommend finding a trainer... at least to point you in a direction that will help.

DavidAg02
Do a google search for Foundation Training. Completely transformed my back.
There is a free "starter" video that you can easily find on YouTube
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.