Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Quit Dipping Recently

2 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by who?mikejones
PanzerAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today marks 4 weeks of no Copenhagen Long Cut. Was a can a day type, up to two cans a day during my deployments to Iraq, but finally accepted the fact that I had to quit. After 4 weeks the craving has not subsided in the least. Almost caved today and walked into a convenience store to get a can but manned up and walked out.

Anyway, anyone here quit dipping? If so I'd appreciate any tricks or techniques you used to get thru it.
Woods Ag
AG
Quit dipping for 3 years after dipping for 15... the cravings never really go away you just get better at saying. no. Most of us have times when we really enjoyed a dip. For me, long drives and hunting. That's the weakest moments

I actually started occasionally dipping again last year when I'm on the road in WTX and have recently kicked it again.

BoomGoesThe
I dipped for 18 years, and quit for 5 years, and it was hell in the beginning. Night sweats lasted about 3 weeks. Irritability, poor sleep, followed by sleeping more than usual for at least a month. I used Smokey Mountain (basically fake dip, no nicotine. It is the closest dip alternative I found) and also started using a nicotine patch.

Best of luck.
Boats and Hose
AG
There's a good thread on the Outdoors board about a few of us that have shared our stories about the decision to quit. Sort of like a support thread where people chime in every once in a while to check on how everyone's doing and to ask for advice. It helped me quite a bit. April 2019 will be two years since I've had one. As mentioned above, the cravings come and go but are never fully gone. I still get them every once in a while (basically anything involving the outdoors and on long drives) but I tell myself that I really don't want to start my streak over.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2923531
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I dipped for 20+ years. Copenhagen fine cut. Quit cold turkey about 10 years ago. Haven't missed it since. Can't stand the smell of it today.

Terrible and costly habit.

You got this!
Hoosegow
I quit dipping for 2 years. I was sitting around a camp fire after a huge meal and a buddy had a can. I asked if I could bum one thinking that I'd be able to just have one. I was at the store an hour later buying a can. 5 years later, I quit again. Haven't had a dip in 4-5 years now.

The only advice I can give you is don't think you can just have "a dip.' I don't have any talent, but God did bless me with a ton of will power and stubbornness. If something takes shear determination, I can do it. All I can say is that you just don't dip.

I'd buy a can today if they said it was safe.
Class of '94
Astrobo
AG
Dipped for 35 years. Quit cold turkey 2 1/2 years ago. The number one thing to me is YOU have to want to quit. You cannot quit just because your wife or girlfriend wants you to quit. Only if YOU want to stop dipping will you actually succeed. The first week is hell, then you get better one day at a time. You still get cravings, but they go away quickly.

Go thru the outdoor board thread mentioned about. Also, log in the www.kickthecan.org for help also. Lots of people sharing their pain on this website.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Pouches are a good way to scale down if you are not in favor of cold turkey. Then down to suns, all the while mixing in more gum and altoids.

Buford T. Justice
AG
Snus
who?mikejones
AG
Altoids. Lots of altoids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.