Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Double knee replacement

566 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by trailrunner
Murphag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting both knees replaced two weeks from today. Doing both mainly to lessen time off of work plus it's all free due to all deductible paid this year on a High-Deductible plan - probably won't happen again. They're bone-on-bone on the inner side. Ruined them playing tennis and will go back to playing after. I know one person that died having both done but they did not do any exercise for 4 days afterward. I plan to do what they say!

Anyone else had both of them done? Do you regret not having them done separately? Also, did they send you home or to a rehab facility? Any advice mucho appreciated.

wcb
AG
Not had it done personally, but everyone I know that had both done at the same time had zero regrets.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
My mother-in-law had both done at the same time year before last. No regrets. She said if she had only had one done she might not have had the other one done! She was happy to go through recovery and therapy once instead of twice. She stayed on top of therapy and worked hard and walks like a brand new person now.
Best of luck to you!
Frag
AG
I did not have them both done at the same time, but I did have them both done 2 months apart. Left one in February of this year, Right one in April. I did it this way because I am very active and wanted to be up and going right away. I only missed two days of work each time and was back at the gym on the bike and doing upper body on day two post surgery for each. Do the rehab and don't let the pain keep you from doing what you always have done. Getting after it right away, I was doing full squats (past parallel) by day nine each time with about 135# on the bar. I'm 49.

Not exactly what you were asking, but that's my experience. I wish I would've done it sooner.
trailrunner
AG
I'm a PT. I've seen lots of singles and doubles. There is only one major disadvantage to both at once. The first few days, it's harder to perform sit to stand because it's harder to generate as much force and it's harder to bend your knees to get them under you before standing. Think of trying to stand with your feet out in front of you.

That said, I would do both at the same time. If your surgeon does minimally invasive technique, the above challenge is not a big deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.