Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

24 Hour Fitness

1,533 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double aught
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone here offer their thoughts on 24 Hour Fitness? I have been a member at Lifetime for almost 3 years and love it, but a 24 Hour is opening up across the street from my house. Would be way more convenient than my current 15 minute drive to Lifetime.

All reviews I'm seeing online are saying it's horrible customer service, but I wondered if folks here had the same experiences. Any comments on equipment quality and quantity? For what it's worth, the one they are opening is a "Super-Sport" if that makes a difference...

Thanks in advance.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I like my 24 but if you're looking for customer service it ain't the place to go. The employees are more worried about what's on their phone than their job. It's not so much a problem anymore but for a long time they wouldn't have any clean towels ready when you walked in. Paper towels and disinfectant spray are often empty. But it offers everything I need in a gym so I'll deal with the issues. Plus it's super convenient for me.
ptothemo
AG
Be aware that all locations are not actually 24 hours. I am not sure what time you're at the gym, but the locations not being open until 7:00 on the weekends and 5:00 on Monday is a problem for me. I drive past one location to get to another location because the latter is truly 24 hours.

As mentioned, don't go looking for customer service there. But overall, my experience has been good with 24, and I have had three "main" locations and also visited a number of them while traveling.
aggiespartan
AG
We had the Costco membership before we moved and we never had a problem at ours but we never really needed customer service for anything.
CFTXAG10
AG
I have come to find that the experience at 24 hour fitness varies greatly across all locations, but the one constant is what is mentioned above. A general lack of good customer service. Luckily, I typically fend for myself in the gym so its not an issue. What varies: cleanliness, over-crowding, machines out of order, etc.
Vernada
AG
Just make sure you aren't expecting it to be anywhere near the same thing as your Lifetime.
aggiespartan
AG
Just out of curiosity, what kind of customer service are you guys looking for at a gym? I've really never even thought of needing any type of customer service. I go in, do my thing, and leave.
Madmarttigan
AG
As long as there is enough equipment and the equipment is maintained I can't think of another reason to care about gym customer service. Maybe clean bathroom/shower if you are going before/during work.
Formerly tv1113
TX_Aggie37
AG
aggiespartan said:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of customer service are you guys looking for at a gym? I've really never even thought of needing any type of customer service. I go in, do my thing, and leave.
Not anything specific, and that is probably the least of my worries as this would be a company membership and not my own individual issue to deal with setting up accounts, etc. I was more looking for general equipment/free weight variety, quantity, quality, etc.

I just noticed a lot of reviews saying things like folks have said above - in addition to issues with account management there have been complaints about general equipment maintenance and facility upkeep.
ptothemo
AG
I am with you here on the get in, get it done, and get out thing. I have had issues with account payment stuff (credit card used for autopay expired and they just couldn't figure it out) and just day to day stuff like them not knowing the schedule around holidays. It's all just been more of annoyance and me not liking what seems to be sanctioned incompetence, but that's the end of it really. My main location is open 24 hours, has all the equipment I need, and is generally kept up with pretty well, so I'm good.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'd switch if it saves you 30 minutes round trip. You can always go back to Lifetime if it isn't worth it. A little annoyance related to customer service has to be worth 50-100 hours of driving per year.
Rocky Rider
AG
I've been a member for 5 years.

Positives:
In my market, which is south Denver, there are five 24 hour fitness centers w/in a 20 minute drive (closest is 5 minutes).

I'm on business travel ~15 weeks a year and I almost always find a 24 hour fitness nearby.

Open 24 x 7. I've never run across the situation where a 24 fitness center is closed at night/early morning.

$1 / day isn't a bad deal for a gym with lots of equipment, pool, basketball court, and class offerings.

Negatives:
There can be a wide range of quality; even within the same class of fitness center (such as "Sport"). My gym has decent equipment, but I've been to others that have really old equipment and the gym is kind of run down.

wangus12
AG
I joined ours so I could workout with my fiance instead of workout at the gym/clinic I actually work at (since its a bit of a drive from her work and our home). I've never had any problems and they have the equipment I need. Have dealt with their customer service, but I'll echo the fact that it seems they care very little about keeping things stocked.

Also the manager was kinda rude to me since I told him I didn't want to be a trainer there on the side of my actual job.
double aught
AG
A thread I started a few years back about their fee shenanigans.

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2637135/replies/43368804

The one by my house was sorely in need of a facelift, but it finally got a remodel and is pretty nice now. Aside from them running out of towels on occasion, it has everything I need. For the price, cant complain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.