Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Annual Dermatologist appointment

1,565 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MUAG
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got a call from my dermatologist to tell me that the mole they cut off my back at my annual checkup last week was pre-cancerous, but removed entirely during the biopsy. So I'm good - this time, but I have to admit I've been nervous waiting for the results.

But what if I hadn't been going to an annual checkup? I would have probably been dealing with something far worse in a year or so. A friend of mine from college ended up with melanoma under her toenail - that was undetected at first because she wore nail polish to her visits. Four surgeries later she is ok but it was a scary time.

My point being - if you aren't getting checked all over by your primary care physician, or if you have a lot of moles, or a family history - make an appointment with a dermatologist and get checked out once a year.

This concludes my public service announcement. :-)
BlueMiles
AG
Glad you went and got checked out.
KidDoc
AG
Or light colored eyes, or history of sunburns.

I had the exact same story 2 years ago. I was going every 6 months now going yearly since he hasn't found anything else. Just like other cancers be aware of your risks and take action.

(I'm 46 now).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
Went for my checkup last Friday (hadn't been in 6-7 years) and had 4 moles taken off. Got the call this morning that one is basal cell carcinoma. I go in two weeks for Mohs surgery.

38, fair skin, blue eyes, sunburns as a kid, tried to tan as a teenager (stupid, stupid). My luck finally ran out. Also why I slather my kids in sunscreen and they wear hats and long sleeves a lot even in the summer.

Edit to add: thanks to the OP for reminding everyone to get checked and glad they got all yours!
CaptnCarl
AG
This brings up why I came to this board.

Does anyone have any dermatologist recs? I'd be willing to travel in Texas for a thorough dermatologist.
KidDoc
AG
I use Weaver in College Station, so far so good!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
KidDoc said:

I use Weaver in College Station, so far so good!

I use Weaver as well and he is excellent.
Null and Void
Quote:

My point being - if you aren't getting checked all over by your primary care physician, or if you have a lot of moles, or a family history - make an appointment with a dermatologist and get checked out once a year.
Count me in as a newly-reformed believer in annual checkups.
MUAG
Take your shoes and socks off along with all your other clothes as melanomas may develop there from walking barefoot on hot surfaces as a kid. Same as sun burn.
MUAG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.