Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

who here has actually cut sugar out of their life?

7,096 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JimbosHatBarelyFits
bert harbinson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wcb said:

Matsui said:

Wow. Cereal after dinner? That's an addiction.
Guilty

What's wrong with that? Healthier choices exist here, it can replace dessert, and keeps things moving, lYKWIM.
Matsui
AG
Loaded with sugar. And not necessary carbs.

I'd say eat more veggies and lean meats at dinner
To get fuller.
Mollie03
AG
Lost 35 pounds in past couple years. Did not give up sugar, treats in moderation, etc. For me to give them up entirely ensures a binge will happen eventually. If I just allow access anytime I want, they lose the appeal and I eat less and enjoy life more.
kapon
AG
My wife has done sugar free diet 3 times.
I joined her on the last two.
The first two weeks were HORRIBLE!
Cranky & angry as all get out!
We added fruit & butter on the third week, and that helped.
My weight dropped from 255 to 215 in 16 weeks.
GIG 'EM!
aggiejman
AG
Whole foods, plant-based for four years now.
There is no sugar in my life and I no longer crave it. I was a sugar addict prior to the change.
Food is fuel. It is not entertainment. You can entertain your taste buds for a few seconds but you will suffer the consequences for years.
monarch
S
Had a bowl of cereal last night after we got home. I do that once or twice a month max. Don't know why, I just do.

Only drank one Cherry Pepsi last week. Won't drink any this week- none in the house. Have switched to drinking Gluten Free V8 juice and more water.
Peace for Ukraine!
Seven Costanza
AG
Just thinking through it, I don't really have any sugar in a normal day, aside from a third of a banana that I throw in a kale smoothie and some incidental sugars (5g) in a Chick-fil-A sandwich here and there. Also Quest bars have 1g of sugar, so that too.
HHAG
AG
Stopped sugar and processed carbs 15 months ago. So far, I have dropped 45 lbs, dropped my blood pressure dramatically and feel great. Mmmmm... steak.
Reel Aggies
AG
I haven't had any real sugar (other than slight incidental) since last Feb. Amazing though that after 3/4 months if I eat any sweet with real sugar it makes me sick to my stomach. I am a true believer that your gut biome changes. I get my sweet tooth with erythritol in Keto type cookies. The alcohol sugar doesn't seem to have a negative effect.
reb,
AG
my modest start:

filling up two pitchers and making cold brew tea, sweetened with stevia, to replace soda (which im allowing one of a day)

cutting milk out of my protein shake and just dumping powder in water. Still consuming 3 dannon triple oikos yogurts a day though

i think i can chip away at this thing in this manner
Matsui
AG
Are those yogurts plan or flavored bc if they are flavored there is added sugars there. Switch to the Greek non fat plain. Not vanilla.

You can add your own vanilla extract or fruit back into it.
htxag09
AG
You're allowing one glass of tea or still allowing one soda a day?
aggie_fan13
AG
try sparkling water as a replacement for soda
some men you just cant reach ...
rhoswen
AG
You can get low-carb milk, I think most of them are the lactose-free kind. I buy Fairlife and I think it's better than regular milk. 4g carbs. Or even heavy cream (0 carbs).

Also for protein shakes, look into almond milk or coconut milk (I prefer almond). They have unsweetened versions that are ~45 calories and no carbs. Way better than water!
rlb28
AG
decent little video of a 30-something couple trying to give up sugar.

giving up sugar for a month
BQ2001
AG
I would just cut sodas cold turkey and replace with unsweet tea. It will suck for a week but the cravings go away. I did that with diet sodas and feel much better.
Counterpoint
AG
Weird side effect for me: unexpected foods like sushi and BBQ taste too sweet to me now.
monarch
S
Funny about this sugar topic...

So for the past few days I have been craving a Cherry Pepsi or a Cherry Coke; prefer the Pepsi though. Anyway I'm shopping at the HEB across from Klein HS and I said to myself, "What the hell? One six pack of shorties isn't a big deal (Cherry Coke)." SO I put it in my shopping cart. By the time I got to the checkout lane, I looked at the six pack and talked myself out of it.

PAT ME ON THE BACK!
Peace for Ukraine!
Counterpoint
AG
monarch said:

Funny about this sugar topic...

So for the past few days I have been craving a Cherry Pepsi or a Cherry Coke; prefer the Pepsi though. Anyway I'm shopping at the HEB across from Klein HS and I said to myself, "What the hell? One six pack of shorties isn't a big deal (Cherry Coke)." SO I put it in my shopping cart. By the time I got to the checkout lane, I looked at the six pack and talked myself out of it.

PAT ME ON THE BACK!
Congrats!!!
Matsui
AG
Congrats! It's like cocaine, takes a few times to kick the habit.
bkag9824
AG
I used a yearly wall calendar to track my progress and help with momentum/accountability. This year was dedicated to finally quitting sodas for good, and I haven't had one since 2/8/18. First few days were tough, but then every "Xed" our day that I didn't drink one helped instill a desire to not break the streak.

In addition, folks who have come in my office ask about the calendar, and subsequently help keep me honest by checking on my progress.

Now to cut out the rest of the processed sugars...
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
bkag9824 said:

I used a yearly wall calendar to track my progress and help with momentum/accountability. This year was dedicated to finally quitting sodas for good, and I haven't had one since 2/8/18. First few days were tough, but then every "Xed" our day that I didn't drink one helped instill a desire to not break the streak.

In addition, folks who have come in my office ask about the calendar, and subsequently help keep me honest by checking on my progress.

Now to cut out the rest of the processed sugars...
I think any "diet" needs to be done this way. Cut out one bad item and quit it for good. One thing at a time, especially if it is something you eat or drink on a daily basis. Cut it out completely for either 6 months or a year then move on to the next item.

You aren't cutting out carbs or switching to a keto diet or doing some crazy thing. You are just taking out one bad item from your total diet and eliminating it. Could be cookies, potato chips, cokes, chocolate milk, candy bars etc. Just needs to be something you consume quite frequently.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.