Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

who here has actually cut sugar out of their life?

7,090 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JimbosHatBarelyFits
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm riding a wave of self-improvement and turning my attention towards my diet now. I told myself "ok ill cut out sugar" and then as soon as I went into my kitchen, I just started laughing because I have literally no idea what to do to have that lifestyle, the american diet is woven into my very being. How does one get started?
chipotle
It's nearly impossible but when I made a decent effort (avoid fast food, drank only water, bread, sweets, etc.) I was in my best shape. Lost a ton of weight
BQ2001
AG
I'm guessing you are talking about adding sugar to things (coffee, tea, etc) and also just sweets?
Best thing that I did was stop buying them. If they aren't in the house I don't eat them. I'm also cheap so going to work and seeing a cookie in the deli for $2 is a nope for me. If someone brings in donuts I just keep asking myself, "Will I be better off if I eat this?" The answer to that is no and the will power builds up.

When I need something sweet now I'll eat an apple or piece of fruit.
aggie_fan13
AG
I cut out soda, processed junk, sweets and pastries, and a lot of fruits. Also cut out caffeine. Not only helped stimulate weight loss but my face and skin has cleared up as well. I feel 100x better than before. I also fast regularly
some men you just cant reach ...
LOYAL AG
AG
I want to but that ****s like crack for me. If it's bad for you I probably like it. Going to get back on the wagon after thanksgiving. I'll start by eliminating sodas and fast food, again. Need to replace oatmeal as a breakfast staple as well. I'll give that til Jan 1 and see where I am.
ChiefHaus
I have done it. Google Whole 30 diet. My wife and I have completed it 3 or 4 times over the last couple of years. When I am on it I feel great and lose weight even without working out. Takes a lot of prep time and your first go around with it is expensive because you have to buy all the spices and oils that go with it.
It makes a hell of a difference in how you feel, I will say that.
hph6203
AG
Eat stuff that doesn't come in a box or a plastic bag if it's not a vegetable or a purely meat product. I suck at it, but that's basically it.

1/4 of the grocery store belongs to your diet, 3/4 belongs to the other foods, because they're addictive and cheap to produce.
Matsui
AG
Yes. I'm about 100% no white sugars. It is difficult. I'm a fat kid at heart. I love sweets. I may splurge once a month or so but mostly don't eat it. It takes a dedicated effort First step getting rid of all the stuff that has it. Sugar is like a drug. It takes a few rounds to kick it.
Matsui
AG
I also cut out a cup of coffee a day habit. I don't have any caffeine except for a soda maybe every month or an iced tea once a week. I feel a ton better.
reb,
AG
ChiefHaus said:

I have done it. Google Whole 30 diet. My wife and I have completed it 3 or 4 times over the last couple of years. When I am on it I feel great and lose weight even without working out. Takes a lot of prep time and your first go around with it is expensive because you have to buy all the spices and oils that go with it.
thats what im really after, mood support. Can you elaborate more? General feelings of well-being? i know its a nebulous question.

I guess things like gatorade for my workouts would go out the door.
BQ2001
AG
I guarantee you don't need Gatorade for workouts (unless you are doing something super long and even then...), you are just putting calories in that you are trying to burn off.

When I went cold turkey off diet sodas and started eating better I didn't feel as achy in the morning. I found I didn't need an afternoon diet Dr Pepper to make it through the day and I wasn't cranky if I didn't have it.

The first week or so sucked but now I don't even crave them.
reb,
AG
Matsui said:

Yes. I'm about 100% no white sugars. It is difficult. I'm a fat kid at heart. I love sweets. I may splurge once a month or so but mostly don't eat it. It takes a dedicated effort First step getting rid of all the stuff that has it. Sugar is like a drug. It takes a few rounds to kick it.
this makes a lot of sense.

Unless i suddenly turned over all my food decisions to someone who knows, im just going to have to figure this out piecemeal.
reb,
AG
BQ2001 said:

I guarantee you don't need Gatorade for workouts (unless you are doing something super long and even then...), you are just putting calories in that you are trying to burn off.

When I went cold turkey off diet sodas and started eating better I didn't feel as achy in the morning. I found I didn't need an afternoon diet Dr Pepper to make it through the day and I wasn't cranky if I didn't have it.

The first week or so sucked but now I don't even crave them.
Yeah you're right. Well, I'm not trying to burn them off really, just helps me get through the workout.

What about artificial sweeteners? I figure there are some places I can use those. I'm a big fan of Stevia. I know aspartame can have pitfalls. Not sure about sucralose.

I'm actually choosing to keep caffeine. I take it in 200mg pills, paired with L-Theanine, so I dont need to get it from soda. I dont drink energy drinks, just the caffeine pills and pre-workout.
94chem
6 kids plus Halloween has made for a bad few weeks. I'm not religious about it, but sheesh, Halloween is like the candy room in Willie Wonka's factory.
LOYAL AG
AG
I'll probably keep Gatorade as my only sugar source. My workout of choice is cycling and my regular ride is 90 minutes 3-4 times a week plus but I'm doing several long rides a year. Water isn't good enough for those long rides. I am going to try out electrolyte tablets and see if I can use those but if I can get to a point where the only carbs I consume are directly related to cycling I'll be happy.
10andBOUNCE
AG
M-F while I'm at work I try to minimalize my sugar/bad eating. Plain yogurt, overnight oats with raisins. Tuna, chicken salad, protein bars. Chocolate Milk after training. Black coffee. I'll give myself a few squares of 85%+ dark chocolate on week nights as a treat. Weekends I'll let myself have a a bowl f ice cream. No sodas usually ever.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I'm trying to cut back on sugars for my kids and need some help. What do y'all suggest for a lower sugar Peanut butter? I saw skippy had a less salt/sugar version and it was appealing bc my kids are picky and I don't want an oily spread to stir. Also suggestions for a less sugar yogurt? They like gogurt and that stuff is junk.
LOYAL AG
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

I'm trying to cut back on sugars for my kids and need some help. What do y'all suggest for a lower sugar Peanut butter? I saw skippy had a less salt/sugar version and it was appealing bc my kids are picky and I don't want an oily spread to stir. Also suggestions for a less sugar yogurt? They like gogurt and that stuff is junk.

Buy the pure peanut stuff. You'll refrigerate it once it's open and it won't separate when it's cold. So open it warm, stir for the first use, then refrigerate it.
Frag
AG
Hi Reb, I cut out sugar and almost all crappy carbs on Sept 30, 2016 and the transformation has been dramatic. Down 70 lbs., under 14% body fat, feel better, better employee, better husband, better father. I make about 5-10 exceptions per year, but I have made the transition to it being my lifestyle, not a diet. If you walk in my house, you will not find anything processed. 100% meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds. Cold turkey is the only thing that works for me. Give me a buzz if you'd like.
Counterpoint
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

At HEB they have these machines where you can just grind plain peanuts into peanut butter. That's what I do. It takes a little getting used to, so at first I mixed 1/4 of that with 3/4 of Jif. Then the next week I did 50/50, then 3/4, and finally pure peanut butter. Now I don't miss it at all, and I even crave the plain kind. It doesn't need to be stirred or anything.

Counterpoint
AG
reb, said:

I'm riding a wave of self-improvement and turning my attention towards my diet now. I told myself "ok ill cut out sugar" and then as soon as I went into my kitchen, I just started laughing because I have literally no idea what to do to have that lifestyle, the american diet is woven into my very being. How does one get started?
I'm not really a traditional "sweets' guy, but my problem is the stuff you (or I at least) don't think of as sweets that end up having a lot of sugar. Wheat Thins, Ketchup, etc. Is there even a good tasting sugar and artificial sweetener-free ketchup?

Matsui
AG
Short answer no. Just limit it. Most sauces bought at the stores will have added sugars

As for the peanut butter just buy plain peanut or almond butter. Read the labels. It will take a few times to get used to it not being so sweet compared to the cheap brands.
ChiefHaus
I apologize reb, just now seeing this. The description used on that program is "tiger blood". Just a way to describe how you feel when you are not only off sugar, but you no longer crave it. You lose weight, your energy is good and everything is just...well...better. It is the only thing I have found that actually delivers like that junk you see on infomercials. It kind of is too good to be true, and yet it is.
It is a difficult discipline in the beginning but gets easier by week 3 or 4. I would recommend going to your local library and checking out either 'It starts with Food" or "Whole30, the whole 30 guide to freedom" (something like that.) Read up on it for free and if you got the time and money, go for it.
Post removed:
by user
Wife is an Aggie
I have a bad habit of eating cereal after dinner during the week and of course the weekend and/or Holiday binge eating/drinking.

I work out a lot but it is impossible to outwork a ****ty diet.
Matsui
AG
Wow. Cereal after dinner? That's an addiction. Try eating more veggies and lean meats at dinner. You aren't full it sounds like. Or switch to a piece of fruit instead of the processed sugars In they cereal.
Speedbird087
AG
NoahAg
ChiefHaus said:

This. Wife and I did it in May. I wasn't overweight or fat before, but I lost nearly 10 "hidden" pounds.

Whole 30 is really quite simple, but it does take planning ahead, and if you're used to eating out and can be a challenge. It really just boils down to eating only fruits, vegetables, and meat, and eating nothing processed.
wcb
AG
Matsui said:

Wow. Cereal after dinner? That's an addiction.
Guilty
reb,
AG
NoahAg said:

ChiefHaus said:

This. Wife and I did it in May. I wasn't overweight or fat before, but I lost nearly 10 "hidden" pounds.

Whole 30 is really quite simple, but it does take planning ahead, and if you're used to eating out and can be a challenge. It really just boils down to eating only fruits, vegetables, and meat, and eating nothing processed.

Thank you, and everyone else. I'm enjoying reading the responses, including the guilty confessions of post-dinner cereal snacking
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Pregnant wife is making it difficult, but I've been 0 sugar and less than 10 grams of carbs daily for almost 6 months now.

The food I do eat is much more expensive, but I eat considerably less, so it's probably a wash financially.

I've lost tons of weight and feel better than I ever have. Now skinnier than when I graduated high school.

You can do it, and it's really not that hard after the first 2 weeks.

I'm starting to crave sweets, but I act like I'm a heroin addict and it will take only a single taste and the next thing I know, I'm whoring myself out at a truckstop for my next fix.
Counterpoint
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

I'm starting to crave sweets, but I act like I'm a heroin addict and it will take only a single taste and the next thing I know, I'm whoring myself out at a truckstop for my next fix.
EllisCoAg
AG
I like the weight watchers or the skinny cow single candies. they are just enough to get over the sugar craze.

once a week we get a single serving of cake\pie.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
AggieKig
Are protein shakes still okay? Or considered "processed"?
Quinn
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

Pregnant wife is making it difficult, but I've been 0 sugar and less than 10 grams of carbs daily for almost 6 months now.

The food I do eat is much more expensive, but I eat considerably less, so it's probably a wash financially.

I've lost tons of weight and feel better than I ever have. Now skinnier than when I graduated high school.

You can do it, and it's really not that hard after the first 2 weeks.

Stay strong. I gave up sweets for 2018 and didn't touch any through April. Fell off the wagon and it's been really hard to get right again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.