Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Need help identifying weight gain

1,127 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bam02
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been on a steady diet for last few months . Have dropped about 20lbs since school started with doing just cardio 5/6 times a week. This week however I wanted to start lifting weights. So I've gone to the gym everyday since Monday and have been lifting. I also started drinking protein shakes, one after every workout. However since Monday the scale says I have gained five pounds. I feel bloated and looks bloated. What should I do ?
TwoMarksHand
AG
I think you answered your own question. Lifting weights and drinking shakes.

Edit: I think I didn't understand you question.
aggie_fan13
AG
I obviously haven't put on 5lbs of muscle in 5 days. So why the gain in weight. I'm still within my calorie limit
AggieOO
Your weight fluctuates all the time. Probably water weight.
BlueSmoke
How much sugar is in those shakes relative to the sugar intake you have on your diet?

All calories are not equal
Nobody cares. Work Harder
aggie_fan13
AG
Not much I'm taking dymatize fudge brownie
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Have you used that shake before now and not had any reaction? I have a friend who does the same routine and bloated out big time to the point she looked pregnant. It was her body's reaction to not appropriately processing 100% whey protein isolate. She moved to the VEGA sport Performance Protein (mix of vegetable based proteins) and it quit happening.
aggie_fan13
AG
Never used it before
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I would stop using it, let you get back straight, then pick up a few single packets of a plant-based protein and do the same routine and see if it still happens.
aggie_fan13
AG
Will definitely give it a try thanks
ptothemo
AG
I still feel like you are trolling more times than not, but I am going to respond seriously anyway. I'll leave your threads alone after this, probably.

1) Don't let the scale be the sole determinant of your health. Your weight is going to do some weird stuff here and there. It's not a big deal.
2) Be careful of extremes and responding to those extremes (e.g. deciding to lift weights this week and going so hard that soreness keeps you from being able to do every day stuff, the water fast, etc.)
3) Seriously assess the psychological aspects of getting fit. It's not just a physical impact. See point two about extremes.
4) Every action does not deserve an equal and opposite reaction in this context.
5) It's a journey. If it all happened overnight, everyone would do it and it wouldn't be worth a damn.

This is probably much more than what you were looking for, but I just feel compelled to say something after the pattern of the posts in the past couple months. I may already be overstepping boundaries, and I'll definitely back off from here. Just thought I would give a reasonable effort to addressing some underlying stuff other than just this one post.

One more quick note - Despite my comment about trolling, I mean nothing of what I said in a condescending way. I don't know you (that I know of) and generally want the best for anyone and everyone chasing after fitness goals as I know what kind of impact it can have. I definitely don't have it all figured out and don't want to come off all high and mighty. I do think, however, that things just need to be said as they are without the fluff sometimes.
aggie_fan13
AG
I troll on other boards none on the health and fitness. I know the majority on here think my water fast was dumb , ill just leave it at that. I am serious about the weight gain in the last few days even though my calorie intake is pretty low already. The muscles soreness was just DOMS and its already gone.
bigtruckguy3500
Pick two days a week, like Monday and Friday, to use for weight tracking purposes. If you're trying to lose weight the moving average of every 3-4 Mondays/Fridays should gradually trend downwards. I know when I try to lose/gain weight there are times when it'll look like my weight isn't budging, then it'll go in the opposite direction I want it to go, and then it'll all of a sudden make a huge jump in the direction I want it to go. Feels very inconsistent, but the trend is what matters.

Also, lots of factors affect short term quick weight loss/gain that is usually from water weight. An increase in sodium and carbs from the diet, or an increase in your body retaining sodium for some reason, will cause weight gain to occur from water retention. You could also have a lot of poop in you.
htxag09
AG
I weigh myself the same time every day but don't necessarily pay attention to the number. It's a smart scale so loads on my phone and i just monitor the charts every week or two.
94chem
Try a can of sardines instead of a protein shake. Or switch to hemp protein.
bam02
AG
It's water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.