Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Intermittent Fasting Question

1,129 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
Baron von Bulsh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've seen a few of the threads on here about IF and decided I would give it a shot. Neither the threads on here or my random googling really answered my question. So, here goes:

I plan to only eat between noon and 8p. My question comes because of the fact I that I work the night shift. I work 9p to 7:30a for 7 nights, then off for 7 days.

I work out after my night shift during those 7 days (around 8:30a) and just randomly throughout the day on my days off.

My question: will my fasting be affected by my alternating schedule? Or will my sleep schedule be affected by my fasting?

Also, any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.
O.G.
Thats a tough one.

I'm currently in IF and I have worked overnights back in the day. I hated it becuase it was hell on the rest of your schedule and a lot of over night folks have health/weight issues.

Having said all of that. I think you can do the IF thing but you may have to adjust your times and be flexible on it
if your work schedule changes.

Start with what the 16/8 thing like you've been doing but be willing to adjust the times. There really isn't a "law" about this stuff, so go with it.
Madmarttigan
AG
When I was night shift for a few years my toughest time was when I would get off of work, I would be starving. My biggest success with weight loss would be when I would refrain from eating when I got home and just before work/during my lunch break that way I would prevent binge eating when I got home.

I'm not sure how to work out after work and not eat a little something though, it would be really tough for me. I usually worked out in the morning after work and ended up eating something at home. I guess if you workout in the mornings you could try to skip "breakfast" before work and just eat during lunch and in the mornings?
Formerly tv1113
wbt5845
AG
Tough question. I don't have a ready answer.

I will say though that on days when I IMF, if I try to work out later in the day, my performance really suffers. So I generally try to work out first thing in the morning before my body knows what I'm doing to it. You may want to try and move workouts around to where they are NOT at the end of a fasting period (if possible).

Are you a nurse? My wife had some weird schedules like that early in her time as a nurse.
Baron von Bulsh
wbt5845 said:

Tough question. I don't have a ready answer.

I will say though that on days when I IMF, if I try to work out later in the day, my performance really suffers. So I generally try to work out first thing in the morning before my body knows what I'm doing to it. You may want to try and move workouts around to where they are NOT at the end of a fasting period (if possible).

Are you a nurse? My wife had some weird schedules like that early in her time as a nurse.

I'm a pharmacist so the scheduling is a little similar.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. I think I'll just keep rolling with what I'm doing now and see my results and how my body reacts.
JSKolache
AG
Oh wow, I've been eating only from appx 1pm-8pm for years - didn't realize this pattern had a name. I'm still chubby.
bigtruckguy3500
When I switched back and forth between nights and days I'd maintain a flexible eating window with a minimum fasting period. So basically I'd go at least 16 hours fasting, sometimes up to 20, and rarely up to 24. And I'd always be eating during the day.

It was remarkable easy to lose weight once you get used to it. A lot of folks on night shift will eat near normal during the day, and then eat a second "lunch" during their night shift. Makes it really easy to gain weight. But I would come home and go nap. Wake up, workout, eat, do stuff, go back to sleep, wake up and eat before work, and then not eat until the next day.

Sometimes if you're really hungry, it can make it hard to fall asleep, but for the most part I never had an issue with it after getting used to it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.