Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Spartan Race

4 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BreNayPop
class12of
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone here done it? If so, what race type?

Looking at doing it next year and want to get an opinion of if it is worth it or not. Have done Warrior Dash but thought it was a little too easy/not worth it.
AgEng06
AG
I have did around 10 or so between 2014-2016 (several sprints and supers, a few beasts). We quit because it got to be too expensive and corporate compared to when we started. They started charging fees for all kinds of stuff, providing crappy beer for your "free" ticket, etc. It just wasn't as much fun and didn't seem worth it anymore.

That said, I haven't done one since 2016, so it may be better now.
hurleyag
AG
Ran the stadium sprint at AT&T this past year. Way too many stairs for my liking. I'd stick to one of the none stadium races.
wangus12
AG
Got into running via the obstacle course races. Did about 20-25 Spartans from 2010-2015. Same as above, they've gotten a bit out of hand with how much they cost these days. I did always enjoy them. Over the years the transitioned from your typical military style obstacles to things that were much more cross-fit based. What distance are you gonna do?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I've done a few of the obstacle runs but never a Spartan. Apparently Spartans and Tough Mudders are "more hardcore" than the other obstacle style races. I know a few people who won't run them for that reason. Supposedly Spartan makes you do burpees if you can't complete an obstacle, and Tough Mudder used to have an obstacle that just shocked you with electricity for some reason. So if you're looking for a relaxed good time neither of those is probably good. If you're a workout fanatic and breathe competition then they're probably just right
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BreNayPop
AG
Just did the tahoe world championship beast course last month and am running the sprint in glen rose in about 2 weeks.

Enjoyed the beast, hated that some people passed obstacles and didnt do burpees when they failed. Most people ran it for real. Lots of camraderie on the trail. The tahoe race was a true test of will.

I enjoy working out, but this is a fun race to test myself and prove how much more i have to work my body into.

The obstacles are tougher than the warrior dash but about 5-10 of the obstacles are a joke.

The race could be improved, but was worth the 100 or 125 bucks. Not something i think i will be doing past a couple years as the obstacles will get stale, but (to me) its way better than running a regular 5k or half marathon. Definitely more fun as a team... not sure how doing it as an individual would change my perception (i go with my workout group/close friends). We view it as a fun and different workout.

But take all this with a grain of salt, as im a fat guy trying to get into shape over the course of this yeat.

Feel free to ask any other specific questions of u got em.
wangus12
AG
My biggest recommendation for an OCR is the Savage Race in Grandview, TX. They are the best bang for your buck obstacle course race out there in my opinion. They have 20-plus obstacles over 5-6 miles. Less crowded than the big races, but the race medal is meh if that's what you want
class12of
AG
wangus12 said:

Got into running via the obstacle course races. Did about 20-25 Spartans from 2010-2015. Same as above, they've gotten a bit out of hand with how much they cost these days. I did always enjoy them. Over the years the transitioned from your typical military style obstacles to things that were much more cross-fit based. What distance are you gonna do?
Was thinking the Spartan Super was just the right mix I was looking for. I workout regularly and tend to enjoy pushing myself to the limit. As I said before, Warrior dash distance was fun, but didn't really feel like I accomplished much in the end.
class12of
AG
BreNayPop said:

Just did the tahoe world championship beast course last month and am running the sprint in glen rose in about 2 weeks.

Enjoyed the beast, hated that some people passed obstacles and didnt do burpees when they failed. Most people ran it for real. Lots of camraderie on the trail. The tahoe race was a true test of will.

I enjoy working out, but this is a fun race to test myself and prove how much more i have to work my body into.

The obstacles are tougher than the warrior dash but about 5-10 of the obstacles are a joke.

The race could be improved, but was worth the 100 or 125 bucks. Not something i think i will be doing past a couple years as the obstacles will get stale, but (to me) its way better than running a regular 5k or half marathon. Definitely more fun as a team... not sure how doing it as an individual would change my perception (i go with my workout group/close friends). We view it as a fun and different workout.

But take all this with a grain of salt, as im a fat guy trying to get into shape over the course of this yeat.

Feel free to ask any other specific questions of u got em.
Are there any specific obstacles you wish you had trained for more before the race?
BreNayPop
AG
We trained for spear throw, rope climb, wall walk, angled wall walk so those werent bad but messed up a lot of people. Sandbag and 1k bucket carry were tough but anyone can do those... its just a grip wear out exercise. We also trained on rope pull and monkey bars, so those werent bad at all. Tire flips were heavier than we expected. Atlas ball lift was not bad at all. 100 yard barbwire crawl wasnt bad if u were ok taking your time. Our training was aimed at avoiding burpees... but if u dont do punishment for failed obstacles it doesnt matter. (We did all our burpees and had trained with burpees).

I specifically failed the 3 obstacles with "twisters" and one with rings/bar/rings. Twister is so tough, particularly during a race after a bunch of running and grip stuff. I also failed monkey bars on a rope, but was more trying to conserve energy and figured 30 burpees was easier than that obstacle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.