Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Amaco Houston Half registration

504 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this is a long shot but is there anyone who has a Houston Half (Jan. 20) registration that won't be able to make it and wants to transfer it to me? I'll pay whatever fees are associated of course.

A friend and I totally miscommunicated on which Houston half we were running and I would like to run in January with her if possible. I could get in via donation, but $400 to race, even if it goes to charity, is too steep for me.
montegobay
I wouldn't do it. They forbid it and if they find out you did it, you will be banned for life. They are also meticulous about checking photo ids at packet pick up.
mrsbeer05
AG
I was totally unaware of that. Thanks for the heads up.
wbt5845
AG
They don't let you transfer a paid bib? The Cowtown allows you to pay $20 and have the registration transferred to you.

Yeah, if you run with someone else's bib, that's a big no-no.
montegobay
No. No transferring.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I know someone that got the lifetime ban for that activity.
wessimo
AG
Check Craigslist a few weeks before the race and you can buy a bib. Just make sure they pick it up and give you the actual bib. Buy one from someone of the same gender and relative same age group and you should be fine.

Some will debate the ethics of doing this but you can decide for yourself. As long as you are not fast enough to get on the podium I wouldn't have qualms with doing it to run with a friend.
wbt5845
AG
Seems dumb to not allow transfers. The Cowtown makes a lot of money off those.
htxag09
AG
Would be more expensive but can you sign up for the full and switch to the half?
mrsbeer05
AG
I agree.
montegobay
What would keep scalpers from buying up all the bibs for popular races like Houston if transferring was possible? It's also a safety issue. When you buy someone's bib, what if something happens to you during a race? They don't even know who you are.

I say don't do it. It's their rule. You should follow it.
mrsbeer05
AG
montegobay said:

What would keep scalpers from buying up all the bibs for popular races like Houston if transferring was possible? It's also a safety issue. When you buy someone's bib, what if something happens to you during a race? They don't even know who you are.

Oh I'm not. I'm too much of a rule follower. And the thought of getting hurt and someone thinking I'm "Susie Smith" freaks me out.
Robert C. Christian
AG
montegobay said:

1 bib per transaction? Easier to scalp when you can buy 8 tickets+ per transaction.
94chem
I think you meant Aramco.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.