Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

New helmet after a bike crash?

549 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Caliber
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, the kid crashed his bike hard enough to break his arm/wrist and give himself a mild concussion. Thankfully, he was wearing a helmet. I've seen it, and it's scuffed up but still intact. What are the rules for this...do I need to replace it?
Hoosegow
Replace it. They are single use
Class of '94
TXTransplant
That's what I figured...thank you!
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've heard some companies will replace the broken helmet with a new one. Call the customer service and ask. If my company made them and got you to sign a release, I'd send you a brand new one with free shipping.

Sorry about your son. Hope he gets better soon.
AggieBarstool
And for those who don't know, helmuts should be replaced every 3-4 years regardless of use.
TXTransplant
Thanks for all the advice...he will have a new helmet to wear when the cast comes off.

91AggieLawyer said:

Sorry about your son. Hope he gets better soon.

Thanks. He's going to be ok, but it was scary. Head injuries are no joke...kid was not at all himself!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sometimes they aren't as intact as you think - the protective foam will be compressed and you may just not notice it.
Caliber
AG
Look at the helmet closely, the outside doesn't tell much of a story. I took a pretty good wreck a few years back, grade 3 separated shoulder. I looked at the helmet on the way to the ER and it looked like it only had a few scratches, told the doctor that was all at the ER too.

I took a closer look at it about a week later to see what kind of shape it was really in. Almost every single connecting piece of foam on the back and right side was cracked. Helmet definitely did it's job. Giro Atmos helmet for reference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.