Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

When to Start Your Kids in Athletics

1,456 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by monarch
theeyetest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My whole life revolved around sports when I was younger. I was always outside playing some type of sport all the way through college. Now, I have a 4 year old girl who is really starting to show off some athletic potential. I do NOT want to be the parent that lives vicariously through their children but I also don't want to waste what seems like comes natural to her.

When is a good time to start getting them involved in league sports? Her and I are always throwing the ball or kicking the ball back and forth but I'm thinking it's time to get her on some type of team, regardless of what sport it is.
TwoMarksHand
AG
My oldest boy is 3. I have him and the younger boy playing sports in and around the house. We are going to start soccer next year with his friends from daycare/pre-school. I did the same, started soccer at 4, played until 3rd grade when I started football. I won't push him, but if my boys were anything like my brother and I, they will be chompin at the bit to play all sports.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Have a 4yo boy. He's been doing gymnastics the last year or so and really enjoys it. I think it helps with his overall confidence and athleticism. I also got him into skiing last winter since we live in CO. My personal opinion being another early sports kid growing up is that I'd rather wait on the team sports. Maybe next spring try out soccer as an almost 5yo. I don't feel any pressure or need to push him so young. I plan to turn half of our unfinished basement into a little area for us to mess around with different sports. I'll definitely talk to him and see what he's thinking and if he's showing any interest / desire to play.
Farmer1906
AG
My oldest is 5. We started soccer at 3. She's also done swim lessons a couple years on and off, a summer of gymnastics, and started "dancing" at 1. She loves them all hates when we take breaks from them.
RickSawyer
AG
Every kid is different but if they are reciprocating interest I'd allow my child to explore it. We have done gymnastics, karate, ballet, soccer, cheer, 'ninja warrior ', and baseball with our two kids. We started activities at 3.

I have a simple rule, if they commit, they commit for the season. If they say they don't want to do it three times then we're done (after the season). They can practice if they'd like and we can try it again later but the following season is for something else.

So now we have a 7 year old in his third year of baseball and a 5 year old in cheer and ballet. They may stick with it or grow out of it like some of their other sports. Our only requirement is that they have extracurricular activities that encourage movement, health and competition.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of sports parents. That could be an entirely different thread.
Farmer1906
AG
RickSawyer said:

Every kid is different but if they are reciprocating interest I'd allow my child to explore it. We have done gymnastics, karate, ballet, soccer, cheer, 'ninja warrior ', and baseball with our two kids. We started activities at 3.

I have a simple rule, if they commit, they commit for the season. If they say they don't want to do it three times then we're done (after the season). They can practice if they'd like and we can try it again later but the following season is for something else.

So now we have a 7 year old in his third year of baseball and a 5 year old in cheer and ballet. They may stick with it or grow out of it like some of their other sports. Our only requirement is that they have extracurricular activities that encourage movement, health and competition.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of sports parents. That could be an entirely different thread.
I am the same way. So far its been clear my oldest wants to X,X, and X, but when I ask about Y & Y she's not into it.
RickSawyer
AG
Yeah, your mileage may vary but it's a rule I grew up with and I do it with my kiddos. Their your kids, create your own boundaries / guidelines. This has worked well for us.
OlRock
AG
To me it depends on how much you are going to value sports in your family's life. Since you were active, then you probably see benefits to playing sports at a young age. We took the approach that sports at a young age were beneficial for many reasons. You have the commitment concept, teamwork concept, meet new friends, authoritative figure other than parents and being active. Both of ours started soccer at age 3.

Fast forward 6 years and my oldest participates in 3 sports with soccer as his #1. He is playing academy soccer and really enjoys it still. I'm not sure he would have the love, nor the skill he does today, had he not started so young. But who knows?

My youngest is beginning her 3rd year of soccer this fall, as well as, cheering for a flag football team. She has also participated in gymnastics. She loves playing soccer and has been fortunate to play with the same group of girls since she started. They were even all in the same preschool. We lucked out even further with an incredible coach through rec sports, and he has had these girls playing year round and in tournaments. Now he has them playing academy too. Soccer has been an incredible enjoyable experience thus far for her.

We have always loved our busy sports schedule and we are not the type of parents who are overly obsessed with their performance. We always request that they give their best effort and everything else will fall into place. However, the reasons we started them young are the same reasons we hope they continue to play sports, but even we realize there may come a day where they move on to other ventures. Their sports can really #$%@ up a weekend though.
aggiect
AG
If you ask her if she wants to play and she says yes, she's ready. Emphasis on having fun, sportsmanship, and effort.
P.U.T.U
AG
With my wife only working part time our son has been doing gymnastics and swimming since he was 2. We have several pools in the neighborhood and are around water a decent amount so learning how to swim ASAP was for safety reasons. Gym was to make sure he has good overall strength and flexibility while it is also fun for him. We may be putting him in soccer next year since he says he wants to and has a good friend doing it.

All kids are different, for team sports 4 may be the earliest for most to get something out of it while others need to be older. Teams sports taught me a ton growing up that had nothing to do with sports.
agcivengineer
AG
Focus on the fun and development, forget about winning and put them in 1 sport /activity per season over various sports and they will eventually figure it out. I started our kids around 5 and we typically let them do 1 per season. My son is pretty athletic and has played soccer, baseball, basketball, and flag football. Play everything in the backyard.
agdaddy04
AG
My oldest just turned 5. We started her in soccer and dance last year and she started tumbling back in May.
DallasAg2
AG
For volleyball, I would recommend playing limited club volleyball in the 6th grade. You have to start trying out to be on the team in May-June at the clinics at the clubs. The team is already decided by the tryout date.

Crazy way to do things but true. I am glad someone told me that because they learned from their mistakes.
Volleyball seems to be the most expensive sport, which also seems crazy.
Having club experience vs. rec. volleyball experience really helps with the middle school tryouts.

agcivengineer
AG
You have clearly not had a daughter do competitive cheer
Endo Ag
AG
agcivengineer said:

You have clearly not had a daughter do competitive cheer
Truth.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I'll take your "expensive" volleyballs and cheerleading and trump you with travel hockey.
wangus12
AG
My fianc coaches club vball at one of the best clubs in TX. I was shocked when I heard how much it costs. Told her if we had girls, she'd have to make a deal to work for free to afford the club
monarch
S
YMCA is a good level to start at; all three of mine started at the Cy-Creek Y on 249 & Cypresswood, whether swimming, t-ball, soccer, whatever at four years old. By the time they were five or five +, they had moved up to SKGSL or Klein Soccer or Spring Klein Baseball at Rothwood. By the time they all got to Doerre MS, they were doing 1-3 sports based on their academics, etc (Grades get crappy, you don't play) and eventually Klein HS where they all did well at what they attempted.
monarch
S
Focus on the fun and development, forget about winning and put them in 1 sport /activity per season over various sports and they will eventually figure it out.

Agreed; let the kids figure it out. A lot of parents have a tendency to become "authorities" on what is going on athletically, and pretty soon, the kids get burned out. If the kid wants to play soccer and you want him/her to do something else, let them give soccer a try vs forcing them to go another direction. Let them fail or excel on their own.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.