Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bang Energy Drinks

7,777 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone with more knowledge of food regulations help me out? How does Bang get away with calling itself a 0 calorie drink when it contains BCAAs? The only info I can find on my admittedly short search is that it has roughly 50g of BCAAs. That would equal around 200 calories.

Is it because technically it doesn't have protein and thus they dont have to label it as such?

Regardless, it seems like really shady advertising. Though that is to be expected from a supplement company.
Hoosegow
I may have answered my own question. I did more research. Apparently the company does not disclose how much BCAAs it has in the drink. In a lawsuit, it is reported that tests show that it doesn't even contain much BCAAs.

Just another reason to hate supplement companies...

http://www.desertnews.com/news/article_7b4b9650-b13e-11e8-9216-1b1ff8d811d6.html

From the article:
Bang targets health enthusiasts looking to enhance muscle performance and improve body physique through its "Super Creatine" and BCAAs (branched chain amino acids). Bang does not disclose the amount of "Super Creatine" or BCAAs in its drink. According to the lawsuit, the amount of "Super Creatine" and BCAAs in Bang are in such low amounts that none of the claimed benefits could be achieved through safe consumption of Bang.

and

"I am amazed at the lengths some companies will go to make a buck," said Marc P. Miles of Shook, Hardy & Bacon, counsel for the Plaintiff. "I imagine this lawsuit is just the tip of the iceberg for Bang. I would not be surprised if the FDA took action or if there are consumer class action lawsuits for false advertising. What is interesting to me is whether retailers will become liable now that they are aware of the alleged issues with Bang's ingredients."

According to VPX, its beverages can be found at many retailers including Vitamin Shoppe, GNC and 7-Eleven.
The lawsuit also details how Bang energy drinks violate the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetics Act by including an ingredient which is not an FDA-approved food additive or generally recognized as safe.

Class of '94
wangus12
AG
My future sister-in-law lives on that stuff and swears by it. I think they hand it out at her cross-fit gym. Don't know how people drink it because it tastes like battery acid.
ptothemo
AG
And at 300mg/16oz caffeine, it's basically liquid cocaine. I'm not going to act all high and mighty about supplements and such since I definitely take caffeine, creatine, and BCAA's daily, but I am going to act high and mighty about a cotton candy flavored product called Bang that just looks shady as eff. I'm sure that they are doing real well for themselves right now, but the bottom has to fall out at some point soon.
gigemJTH12
AG
wangus12 said:

My future sister-in-law lives on that stuff and swears by it. I think they hand it out at her cross-fit gym. Don't know how people drink it because it tastes like battery acid.
wangus...wtf you doing drinking battery acid in the first place
AgEng06
AG
ptothemo said:

And at 300mg/16oz caffeine, it's basically liquid cocaine.
Meh, it's no different than getting to work and drinking half a pot of coffee.
Walter Kovacs
AG
2.50 a pop
ptothemo
AG
AgEng06 said:

ptothemo said:

Fair point. I was meaning more the speed at which it's consumed. I don't think anyone is slamming half a pot of coffee in five or ten minutes. But I see your point overall.
P.U.T.U
AG
AgEng06 said:

ptothemo said:

Most of the time you know what is going in coffee while energy drinks can have whatever. Couple that with having a large amount of sugar and being able to knock out 300mg of caffiene in minutes I would say pounding an energy drink vs coffee is not the same. Depending on the beans 300mg of caffeine would be 3-5 cups of coffee
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I agree. Just making a comparison on the caffeine content.
AgEng06
AG
I agree, however these drinks don't have sugar. Yes, the caffeine is a lot to consume in a short time, but I'd wager isn't appreciably more than most people consume in a day.
wangus12
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

wangus12 said:

wangus...wtf you doing drinking battery acid in the first place
I'm going to extreme herbal medicine to get over my current knee issues
10andBOUNCE
AG
ptothemo said:

Brings me back to the days at Dry Bean
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'll admit, I drink it. My work schedule is as follows: wake up at 4:15 AM and in my office door by 6:20 AM. Work all day and get home about 5:30 PM. Start workout at 6:00 PM and go till 7:30 PM. Go to bed sometime between 10:30 PM and 11:30 PM.

I don't care about the creatine. I care about the caffeine. My tank is empty when I get home from work and so need a boost to get my workout done. I find this product gets me up for the workout pretty well. I only drink two full Bangs per week. I drink half a Bang on Monday's workout. Half on Wednesday's workout, and a full Bang for Friday's workout so I can get through my workout and maybe a movie with my wife without falling asleep.

Admittedly, I'm embarrassed by my purchasing this product. I've never considered myself an "Energy drink" drinker, but alas, here we are.

I also do not drink coffee, either. It's just water and two Bangs per week for me. I don't mind the taste. It's not the greatest, but that's not why I drink it.
O.G.
I tried the Pina Colada and I must say it was pretty good.

Only thing that would make it better would be if you cut it with some Captain Morgan.....or Vodka.
Woods Ag
AG
I hate the cotton candy and pina colada flavors, but the rest are awesome.

Drink one about every day around lunch (just finished one, actually).

Hoosegow
and this part doesn't concern anyone?

"The lawsuit also details how Bang energy drinks violate the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetics Act by including an ingredient which is not an FDA-approved food additive or generally recognized as safe.
Class of '94
Woods Ag
AG
None whatsoever.

I don't trust the FDA to know anything anyways. I drink 1 a day and water other than that. I feel good. I perform well and I eat well.
emando2000
AG
Not trying to be an ass here but why would anyone think the content of ingredients are accurate? It's mass produced. There is no way it's accurate. Anyone that drinks it for the BCAA's are probably only getting small traces of it.

People are going to people. If they like it, they'll drink it.

Personally, I like them. I doubt they're any worse than the #2 Whataburger w/ cheese, no onions with a Dr. Pepper or my Miller Lite's or any of my other bad food/drink decisions. My day starts at work around 8:30 and I don't get home from the gym till 9:00-9:30 each night. I enjoy a Bang each day.

I drink it for the flavor and caffeine!
gigemJTH12
AG
The Purple Guava Pear or whatever is phenomenal. I drink it for the flavor and the caffiene, too.

no one should be drinking it for the BCAAs...BCAA is so cheap...just buy the pills.
emando2000
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

The Purple Guava Pear or whatever is phenomenal. I drink it for the flavor and the caffiene, too.

no one should be drinking it for the BCAAs...BCAA is so cheap...just buy the pills.

Big fan of pear guava!!! I had it for the first time this weekend. It kepted me awake during acl these past 2 weekends! (Work not play)
Purple Haze (medicine like but still tasty to me)
Rainbow Unicorn
Lemon Sweet Tea
Black cherry vanilla or whatever are my favorites
gigemJTH12
AG
whats up with unicorn? havent tried it yet. whats it taste like?
emando2000
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

whats up with unicorn? havent tried it yet. whats it taste like?
Kinda taste like a strawberry starburst.
rhoswen
AG
What's the carbs like on these mofos?
Woods Ag
AG
0 calories
Hoosegow
Lol! This thread has All kinds of fail. I feel responsible for providing a forum that makes this world a dumber place.
Class of '94
emando2000
AG
Hoosegow said:

Lol! This thread has All kinds of fail. I feel responsible for providing a forum that makes this world a dumber place.

Nah man. People know that theyre prolly not putting good things in their body but do so anyways. I know Bangs aren't good for me but I don't really care. I like the flavor & the caffeine. I will cycle diet & go son a strict diet to maintain but I also like living.
Jim01
AG
They are on sale at HEB so picked up a couple out of curiousity. I tried the Citrus and it was alright but not great. Honestly I wished they made a Monster than had no energy or caffeine. I just love the sour flavor of Monster.
AgFan131
LOL @ this thread and BCAAs.
94chem
I just take a 200 mg caffeine pill that costs less than 4 cents before my workout. Add in a couple of B12 gummies, likely placebos, and I'm good to go.

All that sugar in those energy drinks just feeds cancer cells.

I do drink sugar free powdered energy drinks. My favorite is Energy Rush. The acesulfame potassium in that stuff is probably bad for me. Wish it was made with Rebiana instead.
CactusThomas
AG
The official drink of the Dupont schedule.
Post removed:
by user
I Am A Critic
For you.
CDub06
AG
I work for a software company and this has become the official drink of the office. I'm not a coder, so I don't consume as much but I'll have one if I'm expected to speak first thing in the morning. Just for the caffeine. In my opinion, the flavors are way better than the competitors.
Broncos
94chem said:

I just take a 200 mg caffeine pill that costs less than 4 cents before my workout. Add in a couple of B12 gummies, likely placebos, and I'm good to go.

All that sugar in those energy drinks just feeds cancer cells.

I do drink sugar free powdered energy drinks. My favorite is Energy Rush. The acesulfame potassium in that stuff is probably bad for me. Wish it was made with Rebiana instead.

Good thing Bang is sugar free.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.