Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Vasectomy questions

8,983 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 2girlsdad
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gentleman,

I've been blessed with three girls but have reached an age where it would be ill-advised to have any more. I'm contemplating a vasectomy, but am obviously a little nervous about it.

Questions:

- Was it painful?
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? The recovery pain?
- What was your recovery like?
- How long did your recovery take?

And last:
- Would you recommend it?

Your help is appreciated!
JHUAggie
All you need to know is found in this thread...

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2501217/1
AgEng06
AG
JHUAggie said:

All you need to know is found in this thread...

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2501217/1
And when you get done with that thread... you'll have just as many questions as you do now.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Procedure pain was a 2 for most of it, maybe a 4 at very isolated times (getting the local anesthesia). My doc is a skier so we literally talked about ski equipment for the 30 mins the procedure took. I did take some voluntary meds that were supposed to "take the edge off" and those definitely helped.

Recovery pain was a 2 or 3, not bad. Just some dull pain here and there. Recovery for me took about a week to 10 days, based off of time out of the gym. But I had it done on Friday and was at work on Monday. Hardly took the pain meds.

Definitely recommend if you're 100% not having kids again. Overall the whole ordeal was a breeze.
drivinwest
AG
The pain during the procedure was minimal. It was uncomfortable, but didn't hurt. There was only one flinch moment when I got a second numbing injection.

The procedure took about an hour.

Recovery was easy. A few days of tenderness, then it pretty much goes away. Do heed the full suggested recovery time, though. I started running a few days early and that was a mistake.

It was well worth it. It's not something I'd care to relive, but it's definitely not a big deal.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

Questions:

- Was it painful? Yes.
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? The recovery pain? 10/10
- What was your recovery like? Horrible
- How long did your recovery take? 3 weeks

And last:
- Would you recommend it? Yes.

AggieOO
10andBOUNCE said:

Definitely recommend if you're 100% not having kids again.

Does my wife need to know?
Hoosegow
No. You only have to disclose known infertility before you are married.
Hoosegow
100% would recommend especially if you know you are done. Pain was a 2. Recovery was easy. You just have to sit around for the weekend with ice on the boys.
monarch
S
I'm almost 66 and had my vasectomy in Oct, 1990. The pain of the operation was nothing, but there was some pain during the recovery. The operation impacts your body parts for a few days and your doc will give you stuff to ease the pain. I will say this: the operation was on a Friday AM, I was home within an hour after I woke-up, I recovered over the weekend and by the following Tues I resumed light jogging and within a week I was almost back to normal running and in spite of the operation, I participated in the Houston Marathon in Jan, 1991. Of course my DR didn't release me to continue running until Thanksgiving after the operation but by then, I had already gone back to a normal running sched. However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that.

I will say that my prostate cancer surgery was more painful than my vasectomy though by far.

Have fun.
lockett93
AG
Questions:

- Was it painful? Not for me
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? The recovery pain? 2 and 3
- What was your recovery like? I drove myself home from Brenham to College Station, then went to my daughters band concert that night. It wasn't bad at all.
- How long did your recovery take? Minor soreness for a few days, I took no pain meds and didn't walk around with an ice pack all the time, just when convenient/as needed.

And last:
- Would you recommend it? Yes, especially if scheduled on the Thursday morning of March madness so you have an excuse to lie down and watch basketball for 4 straight days!
c-jags

Questions:

- Was it painful? i'd call it a 4 or 5 after the meds wear off. the best way i can explain it is that you have the feeling of having been hit in the junk 10 minutes ago for a day or two. you don't have the pain of impact, but that dull empty feeling in your abdomen lingers.
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? 4. The recovery pain? 6 (but in the dull pain i explained above)
- What was your recovery like? surgery on friday. laying around watching football on Saturday with a bit of discomfort. went to church on Sunday. Normal by monday
- How long did your recovery take? 3 days to be normal

And last:
- Would you recommend it? If you don't want more babies. my wife wanted more kids 5 years after the surgery.

TxAg20
AG

Questions:

- Was it painful? Not bad. The shots were the worst part. There was a very weird sensation when the doc pulled out the tube. Like it was connected to a tendon that connects to everything in your stomach up to the back of your eye socket. Just made me flinch, but not bad pain.
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? The recovery pain? Procedure pain was a 2. Recovery was a 1.
- What was your recovery like? Procedure on Thursday morning. Drove myself to the pharmacy then home afterwards. Took the pain meds (opioid based stuff) as directed to stay ahead of the pain. Iced balls for about 30 minutes of every hour while awake and stayed in bed remainder of Thursday and Friday. Saturday morning I was up doing normal stuff with dull pain in balls. I quit taking the pain meds Friday evening.
- How long did your recovery take? About 2 days to being able to comfortably do things outside of working out or running. About 7 days to 100%

And last:
- Would you recommend it? If you're done having kids, absolutely.
LOYAL AG
AG
- Was it painful? Not really.
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? 2-3.
The recovery pain? 5-6. Peeing is uncomfortable for the first day, maybe two.
- What was your recovery like? Frozen peas are your friends. And find a good TV show to binge watch. This got me hooked on 24. On way home I had Mrs. LA stop at Blockbuster and pick up Day One. I watched 12 straight episodes.
- How long did your recovery take? Surgery on Thursday, back to work on Monday.

And last:
- Would you recommend it? Absolutely. No more bc. Well worth it.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Had mine on Friday.

Procedure itself is no big deal. Recovering Friday and Saturday wasn't bad. Yesterday was the worst. I'm back at work today, but sitting is really uncomfortable. Ever have a really bad case of blue balls? Ya, it's kind of like that except you can't "take care of it" with alone time. I'm hoping tomorrow is better.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
kevmiller

1. I don't know if pain is the right word. My procedure was never really painful. Uncomfortable as hell. Your area is obviously numb but you can feel them tugging on everything in your tool bag. One tug I could feel it I'm my abdomen. So yeah it's uncomfortable and uneasy feeling but never downright painful. Is a very uneasy feeling when they solder your pipes and you can see and smell smoke rising from your sack.
Scale 1-10 the pain was maybe a 2.
Uneasy feeling would be about an 11

2. My recovery consisted of sitting on the couch for 4-5 days with bag frozen peas. I bruised like a SOB , the boys were black and blue and swelled pretty good for several days.
It was well over a week before swelling went back normal and couple weeks for the bruising to completely go away.
I was sore as hell for about a week. Never to the point where I couldn't go places or drive ... but no physical activity for at least week. But when I left the doctor office after the procedure my wife and I went to eat lunch at a restaurant.

Yes I would recommend it.
My wife and I have 2 kids. We are done
The procedure is much easier , quicker and less invasive as opposed to wife getting fixed.
And my wife was very appreciative I was the one who took one for the team... if you know what I mean.

Worst part about it was waiting for the pipes to be cleaned before you're good to go. Go and have the whole procedure done and still have to wait like 2-3 months before you're really sterile. But again... my wife was willing to mmmm say ...lend a hand in that catagory also.

But bottom line.. yeah any man is gonna be uncomfortable having the procedure. Honestly though the anxiety leading up to the procedure was the worst part . My doc gave me some pills to relax me.. told me to take one the morning of the procedure, take one when I got to his office and then the last one take at anytime up until he started.

Man up and get it done... you won't regret it later on.
ceatm07
Any recommendations in the Houston area?

Edit - Specifically on the west side (I-10/Beltway)
RightWingConspirator
AG
Any recommendations as far as doctors in The Woodlands/Conroe area?
Geriatric Punk
AG
kevmiller said:

But again... my wife was willing to mmmm say ...lend a hand in that catagory also.

I tried to get my doc to write me a prescription that all emissions for the next 3 months must be partner assisted.
Geriatric Punk
AG
By the way, if you plan on taking off Friday to have it done, plan on taking off Monday, too. Days 3 and 4 were the worst for me. I've had buddies that struggled for 7-10 days and guys that went to work the next day. Gonna be different for everyone, so plan for caution.
03_Aggie
ceatm07 said:

Any recommendations in the Houston area?

Edit - Specifically on the west side (I-10/Beltway)

Russel Williams. He's off I-10 between beltway and 610.
Bassmaster
AG

Any recommendations as far as doctors in The Woodlands/Conroe area?
I used Dr. Sukin this past Friday. He's in the Methodist building behind the new hospital at 45 and 242. I would recommend him. Wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. I feel fine now 4 days later, but damn if the boys aren't still black and blue.
Old Tom Morris
Was it painful?
- On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the procedure pain? 1 or 2. The recovery pain? 2 or 3 (but was careful to take it super easy for several days and follow doc's advice)
- What was your recovery like? Had it done Friday of Labor Day weekend, watched football from the couch with a bag of frozen peas for 2 days.
- How long did your recovery take? Back at work on Tuesday and eased back into activity after a week or two.

And last:
- Would you recommend it? If you are sure you're done with kids, absolutely 100% yes.

#1 Piece of advice that anyone could ever give you about this procedure -> In the first week or so afterward, (especially 3-5 days), NO MATTER HOW GREAT YOU ARE FEELING, DO NOT DO ANY PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, LIFTING, ETC. Follow your doctor's advice to a T. The only guys I know that ended up miserable were the ones that thought "I'm feeling good, I got this", and then proceeded to do physical activity too soon (i.e yard work, cleaned out the garage, worked out, etc.) Then the pain, swelling, and misery kicked in afterward and stuck around for several days, which was totally avoidable. I'm sure some have done this and been fine, but don't risk it. Enjoy the fact you'll have a reason for some uninterrupted couch/football-watching time.
Old Tom Morris
And count traveling for work (or otherwise) as physical activity to avoid that first week. A buddy had a work trip within the first week afterward, and ended up miserable.

Again, some people have done this and been fine, but the only miserable folks I know were the ones that didn't take it easy that first week.
rshackelford
AG
Procedural pain? 2-3 maybe. Mostly psychological

Post pain? Well. That depends. If you get a hematoma, it literally feels like you've been freshly kicked full force in the nuts for about 2 months while it goes away. If you don't get a hematoma, likely nothing after a day or two
Iowaggie
AG
The pain is really not bad, but it is so important that you keep telling the wife it is extremely painful. It's important to appear to try to do things, but become "overwhelmed" with a rushing or throbbing sensation (makeup a variety of adjectives to use). I think it is realistic to try to stretch it out to get you out of unwelcome chores or tasks for 2 weeks, even though you will probably be fine by day 5.

Try to pick a good college football Saturday for about Day 3 or 4.

Remember, maximum sympathy is your goal.
Aries
Gawd you men are such babies.

Do you know what your wife went through to give you children?
P.U.T.U
AG
Aries said:

The same thing I did, the hospital doors. Odd question to ask
Old Tom Morris
Aries said:

We go back after a couple of days vs getting a free 2 month vacation.
Callate Donnie
Aries said:

The difference is we mention the pain while we are it. We hear about our wives' pregnancy and delivery pain the rest of our lives.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
i can't say this enough. Wear a jock strap!!!

Put the jock strap on immediately following the procedure and wear it for at least a week. I wore one for almost two weeks. If you don't do this then the recovery will be longer.

Procedure did not hurt. I ran four miles two weeks later with a little soreness. Fully recovered three weeks after procedure.

Wear the jock strap!
culdeus
AG
I used to be a boxer guy. Can't do that anymore. Doc said that is case for about 10% of people. Whatever.

Make sure you jerk off alot and get two all clears before going bareback. Takes a lot longer than you would think to clear the pipes.

Hoosegow
Define a lot. A lot for you or a lot for me? Because I already do... a lot.
americathegreat1492
Question: Is that because without tubes supporting your balls they will dangle to the floor? Honeslty curious
P.U.T.U
AG
Hoosegow said:

Define a lot. A lot for you or a lot for me? Because I already do... a lot.
Never waste a boner, never trust a fart
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.