Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

lower leg/calf/soleus pain while running

1,233 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ENG
ENG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been ramping up my running after been off for quite a while. I am a former runner/triathlete and am getting my workouts to include running now. I am 5 years out of ACL reconstruction that I have no problems with the knee.

I have been developing pain in my calf region that just is not going away. I first considered it to be just sore muscles but it is still lingering.

Here is my current, recurring cycle during runs. My body, legs, cardio is at a point that longer runs certainly are expected except for my problems below the knee.

typical run, just last night matter of fact. Run 1/2 mile for warm up, stretch, then run 3 miles about at a 9:00 min pace. Almost like clockwork, at mile 1 I start to get a sharp pain isolated right at the base of my calf. I stretch and try to rub the spot to work it out (helps that my running mate is a sports massage therapist, runner and trainer). I get underway and it seems to subside some after about another mile, then my left leg, same thing. I feel a little better the third mile but at the end of my run I am sore from this. At the end of the 3, my body wants to go on but I really don't want to push the calf. I am at a loss

I am at a point of needing to go through doctors to help diagnose but not sure where to begin. I am not sure if its a running form, muscle overcompensation, circulation or what.

I am probably a heavy runner for what I want to be doing....6'-2" 200 lbs. age 51

Any comments, experience would be appreciated. Rest? more running? slower running?
OlRock
AG
I've been an on and off runner for years. Just this last year I experienced something similar. After my runs my calves would feel soar and ache. The pain would linger for days, but would eventually subside only to return. I couldn't figure out why it was happening, and I still don't have a clue. I stretched more and drank more water, but it was something that always seemed to come and go. I have been running more often lately and have not had them flare up for a while. Even after 9+ mile runs, everything felt fine.

My internet research chalked it up to I must have been tearing them up, causing the soreness. And they would eventually heal. Perhaps your shoes are contributing? Good luck.
JimInBCS
Stretch, ice, foam roller, strengthen (weights), repeat religiously.
htxag09
AG
Have you tried running in the compression sleeves?
shihitemuslim
AG
Does it go away when you sit down or stop running.
ENG
AG
Sitting idle there is no pain but it's really tight. When I walk or stretch it there is moderate pain.
shihitemuslim
AG
You may have some spinal stenosis in the lumbar spine. That produces leg pain when standing and walking that is better with sitting down.
aggiederelict
ENG,. Where are you located?
ENG
AG
FtW
ENG
AG
I wanted to come back to give an update.

The girlfriend/trainer/runner/massage therapist had my try a few things as I progressed with my running. She put some thought into it and she came to a possible conclusion. My lower legs, calves were being over worked on my runs. I am not the lightest runner at ~200 lbs and likely needed work on my form. She gave me some help on my form during runs but I think the biggest thing was to isolate the use of my calves. She had me roll my calves and do band walks, clamshells to engage my glutes prior to running. Her theory is that if the glutes were engaged and working prior to my run then they would stay more engaged during my runs. I was still getting soreness at about 1 to 1 1/2 miles in but that distance started increasing. She would be along on my runs and we would stop and she would work the pain out (yes, she is a sweetheart).

I can now tell you that I am pain free, just the expected soreness from increasing my run frequency. I still do the brief glute exercises before each run and I feel no pain during runs. The proof is in the pudding as they say, props to her to try different things.

Now hitting 4 ish miles at 8:30 - 9:00 pace and getting better. I plan to stick with it this go around and see where it takes me.

I think I will keep her around ;-)
bigtruckguy3500
Definitely sounds like a keeper. Btw, something I've found that's way better at releasing trigger points than foam rolling is dry needling. You'll need a PT, or maybe a doctor/chiro, to do it, but man does it release a lot of trigger points. Especially in the calves. Though only do one side at a time.
aggiederelict
I work with a lot of runners. I use dry needling to treat soft tissue problems. It is a nice tool when needed.

Glad you figured out how to manage it. Keep us updated to your progress.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
i have sore lower calves, would that stem from the same problem? not engaging the glutes?

PS. Central Valley CA is the pits

ENG
AG
I have signed up and well into my training for my first half marathon. I have a trainer (yes, my precious girlfriend). About 1 1/2 weeks ago I skipped my glute engagement ritual pre- run before a speed work session (forgot my bands). About halfway through my calves started freaking out. They were sore for a few days then tried to do an 8 miler after resting a few days, had to walk the last 2 miles. I did not run for a week and rolled it, had it massaged, worked it out until I had little pain. I was due for my next long run on Saturday but pushed that to yesterday. I spent my time pre-run doing my band walks and such and put in an easy start run. All felt good at about 2 miles so we just went. Avg pace 9 miler with little leg pain other than expected soreness.

This is the third time the little warm up thing has "proved" itself to me. I will listen to her from now on. Next on the list is cross training some to develop the right muscles to compensate the little calf b****es.
ENG
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

i have sore lower calves, would that stem from the same problem? not engaging the glutes?

PS. Central Valley CA is the pits

it seemed to be the cause for me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.