Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

"Relations" after wife cleared post birth: birth control

6,490 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I figured this forum might give the best, non sophomoric responses (at least limited ones).

My wife was cleared a few days ago and we'd prefer she doesn't go back on the pill (don't see how messing with hormones can be a good good). Being married, I don't want to wrap it up again.

So, what other methods can we practice/use to ensure she isn't knocked up again too soon. Rhythm? IUD?
JHUAggie
Yes and it depends

Mirena IUDs have hormones. Copper IUDs do not
AggieOO
Pull out. 100% effective.
Matsui
AG
Spray and pray
bigtruckguy3500
If she doesn't like having her period, then Mirena IUD is the way to go in my opinion. Lasts 5 years, no worrying about pills, and something like 99.4% effective. It will contain hormones, but it has been around a very long time and appears safe from long term studies.

Next option would be the copper IUD. She will continue to have periods, and sometimes will be worse than without the copper IUD, as the copper works by irritating the uterine lining, making it inhospitable to sperm/eggs. She can also have worse cramping. It's over 99% effective as well.

There's the patch, depo shot, nuvaring, Nexplanon, the combination hormonal pills, the progesterone only "minipills." Some more effective than others, some easier than others.

But if you really want to stay away from hormones, and want to be reasonably sure you don't have kids, it's pretty much condoms, vasectomy, tubal ligation.

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/contraception/unintendedpregnancy/pdf/Contraceptive_methods_508.pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/contraception/index.htm
Post removed:
by user
newhowdyag2004
Spray and pray it is...

We (well she...so we) want an other so we won't do the permanent fix yet. But once the second comes out, I'm getting fixed and ensuring it's blanks coming out!

I just don't want her on hormones. It doesn't make sense to me to live a healthy lifestyle, eat right, exercise, etc, but then risk things by taking something which "could" lead to health issues.
Ragoo
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

Spray and pray it is...

We (well she...so we) want an other so we won't do the permanent fix yet. But once the second comes out, I'm getting fixed and ensuring it's blanks coming out!

I just don't want her on hormones. It doesn't make sense to me to live a healthy lifestyle, eat right, exercise, etc, but then risk things by taking something which "could" lead to health issues.
if she is nursing you don't have an issue until she stops. Her body knows she has a child she is feeding and can not accommodate another.

The Nuvaring is a like a game......
newhowdyag2004
Looks like we got a winner! She'll be nursing for a while so time to release the hounds!
BigTimeAlum
AG
My boys are 13 months apart. Good luck with that strategy!!!
ChiefHaus
Natural Family Planning
OaklandAg06
AG
Lol when you take shots on an open net don't be surprised when you score a goal.

Just make sure to pick a good Irish name to honor your Irish twins
herb11
AG
Nursing will provide protection the first 6 months, which is likely when her period will return. Although, every individual is different. I nursed both my kids for 13-15 months and like clockwork, period resumed 6 months after birth.
Oogway
I nursed our children for the first year. If you choose not to use some sort of contraceptive method, understand the biology- ovulation occurs prior to the menstrual period and things may be a little wacky as the female hormones ebb and flow. So, yeah while pregnancy is less likely while nursing, it happens.
TXTransplant
Woman/Mom here.

If she's nursing and the idea of becoming pregnant again right now terrifies the heck out of her (as it did me), she should look into a progestin-only BC. IIRC, the estrogen-containing options can affect milk supply. Otherwise, don't be shocked if you end up with Irish twins. Nursing suppresses the menstrual cycle, so you can't rely on having a period as "evidence" you aren't pregnant while nursing.

Post-nursing, have her check out Nuva-Ring. I have several friends who like Mirena (and other similar IUDs), but Nuva-Ring has been great for me. No side effects whatsoever, and it keeps your cycle extremely predictable/regular. Leaving it in for the "placebo week" will allow her to skip a period (which can be convenient if going on vacation or something like that).

The thing about these hormones that a lot of people don't understand is, while yes, you are putting "extra" hormones in your body, these are hormones a woman's body produces naturally. But the body is terrible at producing them consistently...which is why so many women really suffer during their cycle (cramps, mood swings, irritability, nausea, erratic/heavy flow, etc). The beauty of modern science is we don't have to suffer anymore. Hormones in and of themselves are not bad, especially at a low dose. The problems associated with a woman's fertility cycles are not something that "living a health lifestyle", eating right, and exercising can fully address.

If your wife is in otherwise good health, doesn't smoke, has not previously been diagnosed with cancer, and is not prone to or have a family history of blood clots, then a low-dose BC should not have any negative side effects (the wrong/too high of a dose will). It just might take some trial and error to figure out which one is best.

Also, educate yourselves on the two main types of hormones used in BC (progestin vs estrogen) and how they work in combo vs alone. There is a difference, and that difference may affect her choice on whether to use one or the other.
jopatura
AG
Breastfeeding isn't perfect. She can get pregnant breastfeeding although chances are reduced. If she downloads the Fitbit app, it'll track your period/fertile window so she can attempt natural family planning. It works best once she actually gets her period back.
AggieOO
Ragoo said:

newhowdyag2004 said:

Spray and pray it is...

if she is nursing you don't have an issue until she stops. Her body knows she has a child she is feeding and can not accommodate another.

The Nuvaring is a like a game......

This is absolutely not true. Women can get pregnant while breastfeeding. I can't tell you how many times we were warned about this at the hospital and by her doctor.
aggies_2001
AG
I get the depo shot. Super easy. I just get an injection every 3 months and don't worry about anything for 3 months. I also don't have a period anymore.
Hoosegow
You be responsible and sacrifice a bit. Wear a condom.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Hoosegow said:

Agree...why does it have to fall on the woman?
P.U.T.U
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Hoosegow said:

Agree...why does it have to fall on the woman?

Gravity, oh wait you weren't talking about that. Yeah wrap your tool which will also help with the problem above
Geriatric Punk
AG
Pull and pray worked for us for 5 years. Only gone up twice. I have two kids.

That said, literally going in for "the consult" in a few hours. September 15 will be a beautiful day of college football, beer, and frozen peas.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Rudyjax
AG
Snip snip.
Rudyjax
AG
Or you could use another orifice.
c-jags
I actually was having a conversation with some friends last night about this one is about to get a vasectomy.

We tried natural/cycling 2x and had a possibility of conceiving due to trying and figure out the schedule only 3 times.

I have 2 kids.

Or to put it simpler. I've had unprotected Whoopie 3 times and have 2 kids.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I've had unprotected Whoopie 3 times and have 2 kids
Congrats on your sex trophies
Geriatric Punk
AG
AGnCS said:

Quote:

They really are. I some times see super large people out with kids and think, "wow...they somehow managed to get laid. Good for them."
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
kbw01
AG
I can tell you low dose birth control and breastfeeding is not enough. We love the little accident thought
c-jags
AGnCS said:

Quote:

If anybody ever meets me... you know "this guy whoopies."
jenn96
AG
I use an old-school diaphragm in-between my two kids - I was having blood pressure issues so hormonal options were unappealing. I really liked it; you can insert it in well in advance but it's also pretty quick to insert if things suddenly get romantic. A little more work but it was a good option for us - we used it about 2 years.
AggieLitigator
Thread is Gold
redcrayon
AG
I think you're wise to second guess hormonal birth control. It killed my sister in her thirties.

I'd do condoms and natural family planning. You can get pregnant breastfeeding so you'd have to wait on NFP until your wife's cycles return to normal.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Unthought Known said:

Or you could use another orifice.

Can't believe it took this long for somebody to suggest the back door. This definitely ain't the GB.
newhowdyag2004
Awesome responses, thanks y'all!

Pull and pray will probably be the way to go. If it doesn't work, we have the second kid and then I get fixed.
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.