Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tri Waco

728 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gwdykes
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are wanting to try and train for a triathlon sprint. We have swam some and would be able to do that part and we will not have a huge problem running a 5k but neither of us have a road bike for training or to do the race in. It seems like a lot of money to spend to just try something out. I'm 6'3" and cannot seem to find a used 60 cm bike on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for less than $200. Will an academy road bike that costs $200 be fine or is there actually something about spending $500 or more on a bicycle? I don't have any experience with bikes and only have a mountain bike buts it's too bulky to ride 13 miles comfortably.
AggieOO
If you don't think you'll stick with it and are just looking to finish, I wouldn't spend a bunch of $ on a bike. At sprint races, you'll see everything from a Walmart special to $5k+ bikes.
Ragoo
AG
Definitely get a road bike. The wheel size alone between a road bike and a traditional mountain bike will make the event much more enjoyable.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
I do want to get a road bike but I was asking if I get one from academy or walmart, is it going to be fine and last? Does anyone have a suggested bike for under $250 New? And does anyone have a suggestion for buying used?
P.U.T.U
AG
If you are just doing a sprint get a used road bike if you do not have a bike already. I have seen mountain bikes out there. The reason I say new is you can get a bike with good components (shifters and such) that are much higher quality than what you will get for $200 at Walmart/Academy.
Ragoo
AG
Also, watch craigslist like a hawk. Look at the major metro areas. You can probably find a 5-10 year old road bike for a reasonable price.
evan_aggie
AG
You can go as far down the rabbit hole as you'd like. Any new bike that is less than $300 is more or less garbage. I've bought cheap bikes before: you get what you pay for.

Having said that if this is a one time "thing", then I get that: buy a used bike with drop handles, 11 speeds (forget the 2 x 11 stuff), and 25-32mm tires.
turf guy ag
If you are just trying out the sport, do what many do with their mountain bikes. Put a pair of street/ commuter tires on the bike and go. It's the cheapest option to finding out if it's a sport you want to pursue more seriously. Cycling club forums and websites are an other option if you are looking for good value in road or tt bikes.
wcb
AG
turf guy ag said:

If you are just trying out the sport, do what many do with their mountain bikes. Put a pair of street/ commuter tires on the bike and go. It's the cheapest option to finding out if it's a sport you want to pursue more seriously. Cycling club forums and websites are an other option if you are looking for good value in road or tt bikes.
That's exactly what I did for my first (which happened to be TriWaco). Slick tires on a WalMart mountain bike.
AggieOO
I borrowed a mountain bike for my first tri. Had never been on it until the day of the race. All my training was on a stationary bike at the gym.
Ragoo
AG
AggieOO said:

I borrowed a mountain bike for my first tri. Had never been on it until the day of the race. All my training was on a stationary bike at the gym.
similar, I used my own mtn bike and replaced the tires. Everything squeaked and I was passed by everyone.
Log
AG
You won't need a TT bike until you start going for X-50 or Half distances.

Should you decide to spend some money:

As mentioned, watch craigslist for used road bikes. Also, if you are in the Dallas area, go hit up Tri-Shop, and get in touch with Nixter on here. They are running a screaming deal right now on a full package fitting along with the bike and necessary gear. I can't remember the total price, but I saw the banner/display when I was in there about a week ago, and remember thinking to myself "Wow, that's a good deal" when I saw it.

They've also got this 61cm Scott on sale. I'm 6'4", and they fitted me, and I ended up with a 61cm Scott.

https://www.trishop.com/2017-scott-speedster-50
johnson2012
AG
If you're in Waco look at renting a bike from The Bear Mountain if you just want to try it out. Keep spinning at the gym for training and just rent one for race weekend. Won't be used to the bike, but it will be much higher quality than anything you can buy for $200.
gwdykes
I would train on your MTB and in the gym on spin bikes. As recommended above I would rent a road bike (most bike shops have rentals) for the race. You will want to have it a couple of days to familiarize yourself. If you decide to buy I would stay away from the low end bikes, recommend a minimum of Shimano 105 or equivalent components. Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.