Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Had a cardiac ablation yesterday...

2,773 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Kool
Gunter12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone here had one? What was your experience like in the days and weeks after the procedure?
wbt5845
AG
No. Were you having AFib and that's why they did it? I've heard the groin area where they go in and your chest can hurt quite a bit after that.
Gunter12
Yes, been battling afib for about 15 months. I had 2 previous cardioversions with limited success. This was the next step in the process to control it.
HockeyAg07
AG
A surgeon I work with has an ablation done several months ago. He's a lifelong runner and said he almost instantly lost noticeable stamina/endurance while exercising. With the 'scarring', for lack of a better term, that occurs with an afib ablation, you can lose a significant portion of what is called atrial kick, and he felt that right away.
Gunter12
I'm feeling it as well...not a runner, but in trying to just get out and do some neighborhood walking this week, I can definitely feel it.
Smokedraw01
Is that where they shock the heart out of a fib?
Gunter12
The shock procedure is called a cardioversion. The cryoablation procedure involves going into the groin via catheter, traveling up to the heart, and freezing problematic areas where the 'misfires' are triggered. They addressed four areas for me...2 in each of the atria.
IslandAg76
AG
I had a radio-cautery ablation for atrial flutter about 15 years ago.
Went home that evening and never looked back.....

until now- has returned. Fib/flutter.
Jerzzy
Gunter12 said:

The shock procedure is called a cardioversion. The cryoablation procedure involves going into the groin via catheter, traveling up to the heart, and freezing problematic areas where the 'misfires' are triggered. They addressed four areas for me...2 in each of the atria.

A cryo pvi for afib does involve access via the venous system in the groin area. Then they use a balloon, inflate it in the pulmonary veins and freeze. The four areas are the four pulmonary veins, two on the right and two on the left but all reside within the left atrium. Immediately after the procedure you have to lay flat for 4 to 6 hours, but after that you should be good, just follow doctors post op instructions to the letter
bigtruckguy3500
HockeyAg07 said:

A surgeon I work with has an ablation done several months ago. He's a lifelong runner and said he almost instantly lost noticeable stamina/endurance while exercising. With the 'scarring', for lack of a better term, that occurs with an afib ablation, you can lose a significant portion of what is called atrial kick, and he felt that right away.
You also lose atrial kick while in Afib.
Hodor
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

HockeyAg07 said:

You also lose atrial kick while in Afib.
Beat me to it.
It would take a heck of a lot of pulmonary venous stenosis to cut preload to the left ventricle more than a-fib.
champagnepapi
I had an ablation done last year for my SVT!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I'm going to see an electrophysiologist on Monday. Have had a few bouts of afib lately and lots of fluttering. I get tired and short of breath at times just doing normal activities.
TexasAggie_97
AG
champagnepapi said:

I had an ablation done last year for my SVT!
My wife had the same thing done about 5-6 years ago. It took her a few months to completely recover but she did and has not had a single episode since. She has no issues running, going to the gym, etc.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Been putting off my follow up with the electro Dr. but no longer. Tired of this fluttering and shortness of breath at times.

Blood pressure has been elevated too lately. Having a nuclear stress test done Tuesday.
jczar03
AG
My Dad (77) has AFib with RVR. Anyone familiar with devices other than Apple Watch 4 that could warn and signal onset of AFib while driving? Any experiences with AW4 for this purpose? Thanks!
Kool
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Been putting off my follow up with the electro Dr. but no longer. Tired of this fluttering and shortness of breath at times.

Blood pressure has been elevated too lately. Having a nuclear stress test done Tuesday.

If you haven't had one done already, make sure you have an in-lab sleep study. Sleep apnea, and its associated tachy-brady episodes and adrenaline bursts associated with apneas and hypopneas, is a significant risk factor for failed cardioversion and relapse into A-fib.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.