Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Mother Nature Issues When Running

2,823 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgCanuck07
ptothemo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, time to talk about the thing that is 100% acceptable in running circles and not acceptable in just about every other circle.

Three of my last four runs have been negatively impacted in some way by having to do the number two. I have had this happen before, but it was anecdotally when I started running again after a layoff and seemed like my body getting used to this running thing again. But, this time feels different (maybe recency bias, I don't know). I have not changed anything with my diet recently and eat super boring pretty much the same thing every day. I have been otherwise regular in my bathroom visits, etc. I can't seem to pinpoint anything that would really cause this.

So, my question is if anyone has any recommendations on what I can do about this. I have thought about taking Immodium, but I also think I have heard that it can dehydrate you, which is really bad running in Houston. I have tried to take longer to get out the door in the morning to take care of all my business first, but that hasn't helped because the issue is brought on at six plus miles. Any other ideas? More or less of something generally in my diet?

I completely recognize where I am posting this and the overall subject matter, so fire away on a Friday morning!
Big Cat `93
AG
I bet a fiber supplement would help, but it would probably take a little while to figure out the best time of the day to take it.
P.U.T.U
AG
ptothemo said:

I completely recognize where I am posting this and the overall subject matter, so fire away on a Friday morning!
Sounds like you already fired away...

You just have to play around with a few things to figure out what works. Taking some magnesium the night before, drinking 8-16oz of water right when you wake, something small to eat right when you wake to wake the digestive system, and not excessive alcohol are a few things to try.

Easttexasaggie (not sure of the exact name) had the same issue a year or two ago and posted about it. If you search there more be some more threads about it.
wcb
AG
I went through a phase this past year where pretty much one mile in it hit every time. No idea if it was physical or mental but it was like clockwork.

I just started scheduling my runs to have a pit stop available around mile one. Once I was done there I was good to go.
AggieOO
Trail running, ftw! Carry toilet paper and find some bushes!

If I'm road running and I know it's likely going to hit, I create a route that goes by public restrooms or has lots of shortcut options to get home quickly.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Mrs. Geriatric Punk has the same issue. Of course, her problem is she likes to have 2-3 cups of coffee before her runs. She is a seasoned runner, very educated (in healthcare no less), and still can't seem to make that connection.

Not helpful, I know, but thought you'd like to know you aren't alone.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
coop-aero-06
AG
Get up early, get your first cup of coffee down, and get the movement done. Otherwise, this:

Quote:

I don't go out for a trail run without TP.
P.U.T.U
AG
Drinking 2-3 cups of coffee and then going on a run? Yeah that is not very smart.

Still some houses being built around us and the golf course has some but sometimes are locked. No need to carry TP here as we have a lot of rabbits.

Geriatric Punk
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Drinking 2-3 cups of coffee and then going on a run? Yeah that is not very smart.

I agree. She knows better.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

If I'm road running and I know it's likely going to hit, I create a route that goes by public restrooms or has lots of shortcut options to get home quickly.

At our main circuit I trail run at there's a single holer at the top of the hill on the far side that always has TP. I try to make it there but have fallen short a time or two. I normally take one or two napkins on trail runs.

Once I knew wasn't going to make it so I took a shortcut to catch up with my group. A pair of hikers came on the back side of that shortcut and got a surprise.

Appreciate them not pressing charges.
mrsbeer05
AG
I have ulcerative colitis which gives my colon a mind of its own. I've found getting up 15-20 min before I plan to run and getting everything out of my system, using UCAN as my only pre run nutrition, and avoiding the heat as much as possible work the best to avoid #2 while running
88planoAg
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Pooper
wbt5845
AG
Every morning after breakfast - 5 fiber capsules.

Then I drink 1-2 cups of black coffee as soon as a I get up. I'll usually have a BM or two within 20-30 minutes. Then I go run.

I always take spare TP for my runs longer than 3 miles just in case, but I rarely need it if I follow the above procedure. My runs are along a freeway service road in a somewhat rural area so there's no shortage of bushes to hide behind.
Swarely
On my run this morning I knew it would be any issue so I just did the six miles around my neighborhood. There is still construction going on so luckily we have portapotties sprinkled around.

Unfourtunately they apparently didn't have any tp. Luckily I found an old Wendy's bag laying around.
Aggietaco
AG
I've been having this issue lately as I'm getting back into running but feel like mine is linked to a drastic change in diet. I'm normally a PM BM and run after work and after emptying my system but I got struck with the urge this morning at mile 5 that made the last few miles stretch on forever. And then when I got home - nothing.
bushytailed
AG
I make it a point to know of all Starbucks and McD's along my routes. I also try to run through campus (TAMU) so that Koldus is close.
coop-aero-06
AG
Went in the woods this morning
AggieOO
Swarely said:

On my run this morning I knew it would be any issue so I just did the six miles around my neighborhood. There is still construction going on so luckily we have portapotties sprinkled around.

Unfourtunately they apparently didn't have any tp. Luckily I found an old Wendy's bag laying around.

I think this begs the question, what's the most random thing you've had to wipe with?

I typically don't go on a run without a paper towel or two (hold up to sweat better than TP), but sometimes you get in a dire situation for a number of reasons.

I've used socks, gloves, leaves, etc in the past, all the obvious ones. I've definitely had to steal someone's newspaper before, and I once had to use pieces of an old pizza box. Oh, and if anyone in South Texas comes across a state park map on mission trails, don't pick it up!
AggieRob93
AG
I take a snack size ziploc with 15-20 squares of tp, and use as needed. Tp stays dry on the run. Have actually had to use it two of my early morning runs this past week. Luckily lack of light, vegetative cover, and folks still being in bed allowed for undisturbed morning constitutionals afield.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Swarely said:

I think this begs the question, what's the most random thing you've had to wipe with?

I typically don't go on a run without a paper towel or two (hold up to sweat better than TP), but sometimes you get in a dire situation for a number of reasons.

I've used socks, gloves, leaves, etc in the past, all the obvious ones. I've definitely had to steal someone's newspaper before, and I once had to use pieces of an old pizza box. Oh, and if anyone in South Texas comes across a state park map on mission trails, don't pick it up!

Dog poop bag. Pages from my car manual.
harge57
AG
I once pooped in the bushes in front of a $5 million dollar house in Dallas. It was almost midnight and was really the best place to go.

I also ducked into the woods around white rock lake one morning and in the three minutes I had my pants down I got like 50 mosquito bites on my ass.
94chem
Geriatric Punk said:

P.U.T.U said:

I agree. She knows better.

I take a caffeine pill and a couple of B12 gummies before. Have an energy drink and V8 when I get back. Coffee when I get in to work.
AggieOO
I have one of the greatest/worst poop stories, but it doesn't involve running. If anyone ever has a couple beers with me, its pretty easy to get me to tell it. It's no Ryan's steakhouse, but it's pretty good.
ptothemo
AG
This thread has absolutely delivered! I don't know that I have any better hold on my functions yet, but there is strength in numbers and experience! This too shall pass.....literally.

I went the Imodium route this morning and had good results. I don't know if that is the long term solution or what, but I needed a good long run this morning.

Finally, there was a cop sitting in the median right by where I had to handle business on Wednesday morning. He was looking for people speeding, etc, but I just chuckled at what might have been the case a few days ago.
GIGEMeh
Am I really the only one who has never had this issue while running? I'm not sure I've ever even felt the urge, and definitely haven't ever had to drop one outdoors.
Potcake
AG
If I'm going on a run longer than three miles, I will generally deuce three times before going out.

BTW, my poop-related signs for Austin Marathon and 3M Half get the most smiles and assuring nods.
ptothemo
AG
GIGEMeh said:

Am I really the only one who has never had this issue while running?

In a word, albeit anecdotal evidence, yes.
AggieOO
GIGEMeh said:

Am I really the only one who has never had this issue while running? I'm not sure I've ever even felt the urge, and definitely haven't ever had to drop one outdoors.

Two kinds of people in the world. People who have pooped themselves and liars.
GIGEMeh
It's probably related to the fact that it's impossible for me to poop in the morning. I've lamented this before, but now I think it's for the best.

Before the Mt Evans Hill Climb I was freaking out that I couldn't go after waking up even though it felt like I needed to.

I also don't eat or drink more than a few sips of water before morning runs.
bert harbinson
AG
I've never had this happen either. Closest call was a port-o-potty visit just before a half marathon.

Morning coffee reliably does the trick.
Matsui
AG
Same for me.
Swarely
I don't drink coffee unless it's the morning of a race. Interestingly enough it never was an issue when I did long runs when I was younger. Only became an issue the last few years.
Aggietaco
AG
I barely tore my shorts down crossing the RR tracks at hidden entry to my neighborhood one time late at night. Only thing I could think to grab to wipe with was one of those 3 or 4" rocks used to make up the tracks. Squeegeed my rear with a couple of those and went about my way.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

BTW, my poop-related signs for Austin Marathon and 3M Half get the most smiles and assuring nods.
Share 'em here
Geriatric Punk
AG
GIGEMeh said:

I also don't eat or drink more than a few sips of water before morning runs.
I've known a couple of runners like you and don't know how you do it. Just goes to show that we all have to do what works for us.

Love going up Mt. Evans, though. Saw a really cool full blood Newfoundland last time I was up there. Buds buds buds.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.