Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What's your age and how healthy do you feel?

4,162 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hoosegow
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
45. And I feel incredible.

8+. Always room to improve.
Run 3 days a week. Practice Muay Thai 2 days a week and do body weight and or weight training on at least 2 of those days with one rest day per week.

Intermittent fasting, some vitamins/suppliments
O.G.
AggieOO said:

If you are comparing me against the average 40 year old in america, i'm probably a 9.5/10
Feel you there. Any time I get down down on myself I just go by a fast food joint, or a water park and think, "Damn...I'm not so bad".
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
SAWgunner said:

AggieOO said:

If you are comparing me against the average 40 year old in america, i'm probably a 9.5/10
Feel you there. Any time I get down down on myself I just go by a fast food joint, or a water park and think, "Damn...I'm not so bad".
Truth. My wife and I met some family at a Texas Roadhouse last night. Good grief the fats at that place.
AtlAg75
AG
Turn 65 in 3 days and feel awesome (other than recovering from the inguinal hernia surgery from yesterday). Would say I'm an 8.5, there is always room to improve and I'm on that path to do so. 2 years ago my Dr. prescribed blood pressure medication after a stress test. My BP had always been good and he didn't ask any questions to figure out why it went up, he just automatically prescribed medication. I figured it out (had started drinking a lot of Yurba Mate tea and was getting way too much caffeine).

I had already decided to focus on my health 2 years ago and bought a Peloton bike. Started riding the Peloton 4 times per week, 3 mile runs a couple times per week, started meditation and basic yoga, improved my diet with more plant based foods, drinking 3 liters of water every day, cutting out any fast food and soda's, very limited fried food and red meat.

Fast forward one year for my follow up physical. I had lost 20 lbs (I'm 6'2" and went from 195 to 175). Partly from the aerobic exercise and I quit drinking for 12 months (that was an immediate 5 lb loss). The Dr. wanted another stress test to compare. I had told him I never started the BP medication and quite cholesterol medication cold turkey and called him out for prescribing BP meds and not trying to figure out why it went up. He admitted a "dirty little secret" in the medical community. It is easier for a Dr to prescribe meds vs changing a life style. Lousy explanation but I'm guessing it is very common. Lesson is that you are responsible for your body, not the Dr and it is OK to challenge and take matters into your own hands.

He was OK with my dropping the cholesterol and not taking the BP med because of the lifestyle changes I had made. When the results came in from the 2nd stress test the Dr was impressed. I improved in all aspects well beyond what he would have asked for if he had set goals for me. In just 1 year I was getting 30% more oxygen to my body with every breath and if feels awesome!

The icing on the cake for me, the practice I started 9 months ago that will help me avoid future disease and live a long life that I can enjoy physically and mentally is the Wim Hof Method. Google him if you haven't heard of this guy but basically he developed a method that takes 20 minutes per day, is free and I can do at home.

By practicing the Wim Hof Method every day I have basically eliminated stress from my life (I own a small business and I understand stress) and am on a path of healthiness for the remainder of my life (and I've got a lot to go!). This method helps immediately to reduce stress, depression, anxiety, fight disease off, improve circulation, lower BP, bring the sympathetic nervous system and parasympathetic nervous system into balance eliminating the chance for stress hormones 24/7 (chronic stress is a real killer, it opens the door for many awful diseases).

In fact, I have benefited so much from his method (it is a combination of breathing exercises, mediation/mind set and cold water therapy) that I'm on track to become a certified instructor for Wim. My next, and last, step to becoming certified will be in September when we spend a week on Mt Hood in Oregon (the day before I leave for Oregon I'll be in Tuscaloosa watching the Aggies beat the hell out of bama).

I've taken nothing but cold showers for the last 9 months and since summer started (shower water not very cold in the summer) I'm taking an ice bath twice per day (bought a used 15 cubic foot chest freezer, sealed the seams inside, filled it with water and chilled the water to 40 degrees). I soak up to my neck every morning and evening for 2 to 2.5 minutes each time.

All of the above combined takes very little time, especially compared to the long term benefits it will bring me.

My focus now is not by calendar age but my biological age. I'm already several years younger than my calendar age and will continue to biologically age slower.

If anyone has questions on the Wim Hof Method I would be happy to answer.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Impressive AtlAg75. PM sent.
SJEAg
AG
41. Athletically, best I've ever been. Ran first marathon and now avg 65 miles a week. 50lbs lighter than much of my 20s and 30s.

But, I often feel tired or worn down...from the running, work, and difficult family life. Probably drink too much. Overall will say 8 out of 10.
AggieBarstool
Caucasian
6' tall
Weigh 218lbs.

I've dropped 62lbs in 8 months and couldn't feel better. Used to weigh 270 as recently as December. Got married Jan. 2nd and realized, "Oh crap, I don't wanna die before I get to have kids and see them grow up." Stopped eating out, focused on "clean" eating at home, and eventually incorporated LCHF diet, CICO, and IF. Incorporated cycling (~50-60 mi/wk). Trying to work on getting 7 solid hours of sleep a night, but I'm a night owl at heart.

I'd put me at a 20/10 compared to previous me, or 7/10 with how I think I should feel. Still need to drop another 20-30lbs to feel my best, and could eat a little cleaner. I'm on track to make that happen in the lest 2-3 months.
Hoosegow
I wonder what the perception of fitness would be for the average person.
Kool
AG
Hoosegow said:

I wonder what the perception of fitness would be for the average person.

In America, it means being ambulatory
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
monarch
S
WOW!

I'd say 95% of us feel fairly satisfied with our physical state. That's fabulous. Also shows that probably better than our parents we are all more aware of our health.

Good stuff!
drivinwest
AG
47. Feel pretty goodstarting to get a few aches and pains that come with getting older I suppose. I run about 40 miles a week. Resting HR is around 45. BP can be a bit high especially if I've been drinking. I struggle a bit with binge drinking (beer), but have been working on cutting back.
Ragoo
AG
32, 6', 170ish
I look decent
I don't feel decent, mostly self inflicted. I need to get my mind right.
Dill-Ag13
AG
27,5'10,143lbs, best shape of my life. Have never been athletic. Feel great overall, diet could definitely use improving, too many carbs and processed foods but life is busy and the little one straps me for time so I do the best i can.
FirefightAg
AG
I'd say a 6.6-7 depends on the day. Since turning 30 it's been downhill. Dislocated my akle and a year later dimpled my opposite knee carlidge. Had two kids and my workouts went to 2 times a week at best. My sleep schedule is what has really ruined me. Its inconsistent and never sound sleep. I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours straight and the best sleep is a midday nap, I sleep hard for 2+ hours. if I could get 7 hours of quality sleep it would be a game changer.
Diet is ok at best, I try hard but I like food and like all kinds. I'm on intermittent fasting right now and it helps. A lot of caffeine and headaches. Also enjoy beer and adult beverages 6'1" 201 32years
ENG
AG
I am 51

6'2" 200 lbs and am in the best shape I have been in a decade. I have always been active but I'm committed to staying healthy from here on out.

gym
run (about a 9 min pace, 12-15 miles a week)
bike (about an 18 mph pace, 100 miles a week)
swimming now (1000 m twice a week)

I have always done at least one of those but time permitting, i get all in or try to.

First time in my life i feel limited by my age. I certainly don't feel 51 or at least like most 51 year olds.

I feel about an 8 right now but its obvious that is relative to how you have been all your life. I have set some goals for myself and will be a 9 in the next 6 months to a year.

It helps that my life is heading toward spending the rest of it with a marathon runner (6 time Boston), dipped her toes into triathlon and is a fitness trainer. She is a perfect example of living a healthy lifestyle. We train together and other than running, we are a perfect fit as far as ability.
suburban cowboy
AG

Male. 26. 5'10.5". 170lbs.

Lift three days per week and usually get one day of cardio, plus a round of golf. Tweaked my shoulder recently from lifting but nothing serious.
My biggest setback is when I drink too much coffee I get wired out.

Next goal is to cut back on drinking (less beer) and improve diet.
Cromagnum
AG
37. Feel 50. Everything is breaking despite working out all the time.
Hoosegow
Maybe working out all the time is your problem. The older you get the more rest you need.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.