Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What's your age and how healthy do you feel?

4,163 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hoosegow
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Nothing scientific here, just curious. I'm 65, male and on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the healthiest, I'm probably 8.5-9.0. No physical ailments, had cancer three years back, but don't seem to have an issue anymore. Run, workout, lift, swim, get approx 6-6.50 hours of sleep every day, eat correctly, etc. On the other hand, I noticed that after I turned 65 last October, things started to change slightly. Don't heal up as fast from a scratch, or a cold, etc.

Again, just curious; Anybody else?
Peace for Ukraine!
The Pilot
AG
I'm 32. Run/workout 10-14 hrs a wk. No health issues that I know of. My diet could be better. I'd give myself a 8.
Sooner Born
38 M and run/workout about 8 hours/week. I need to add more strength to the regimine but I recently qualified for the lowest risk category for a 20 year term life policy so my measurables are great.

I could still eat a few more plants and drink less alcohol but doing well/feeling great over all so I'd say 9.
wangus12
AG
28. Run/workout everyday. Only current issues are from sports injuries. Diet needs to improve a ton. 7/10
RockOn
I'm 34 and look younger than I did when I was 24 (heavy drinking, bad diet, no sleep, no exercise).

Generally I feel like an 8/10. If I could get 9 hrs of sleep consistently I would be at a 10.
Rudyjax
AG

Worst shape in 4 years.

But probably an 8 when comparing me to the average 46 year old.
LOYAL AG
AG
Just turned 48 a week ago. Probably in the best shape I've been in in a very long time. Had fits and starts with things like Insanity but nothing I've stuck with which meant I bounced around quite a bit. Started cycling almost a year ago and I'm A LOT better than I was at the start of 2017. Down about 15-17 pounds, eating a bit better meaning 2-3 fast food burgers a month instead of 2-3 a week, resting pulse is around 50 which I haven't had since I went to Air Assault school when I was 20. I'd like to lose 15 more pounds but I won't complain. I ride about 80-100 miles a week when I'm not gearing up for an event and have started doing push ups and sit ups for some basic strength training.

Probably an 8 until I lose the additional weight.
IslandAg76
AG
69 yo and 6'4" at about 217
(Damn--that sounds old when you write it down)

Ride my bike 12 to 20 miles 3-5 times a week
Try to get to the gym for regular workouts but I'm a currently a total failure--still trying.

No real health problems except some arthritis crap is starting to creep in and have had some A-Fib/Flutter issues which I hope to get rid of with ablation in the near future. (had an ablation about 20 years ago for A-Flutter)

Trying the Keto diet for a while--finding it difficult to go against 50 years of programming of "eat fruit, low fat, no red meat" and now the answer/solution to my limited success on the diet is EAT MORE FAT
c-jags
monarch said:

Nothing scientific here, just curious. I'm 65, male and on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the healthiest, I'm probably 8.5-9.0. No physical ailments, had cancer three years back, but don't seem to have an issue anymore. Run, workout, lift, swim, get approx 6-6.50 hours of sleep every day, eat correctly, etc. On the other hand, I noticed that after I turned 65 last October, things started to change slightly. Don't heal up as fast from a scratch, or a cold, etc.

Again, just curious; Anybody else?
35 and i'd give myself a 8.5-9. i eat fairly poorly and fairly well depending on the week and drink very occasionally with very mild tobacco use (snus... moved off of dip 2 years ago.)

but... i get 8-10 hours of cardio in every week and about 1.5 of lifting and usually 7-8 hours of sleep a night. low 60 bpm resting heart rate. i get sick about once every 5-7 years and even then, it's half of what my family goes through if we get the same bug. the last time i took a sick day was 4 years ago because i passed out peeing in the middle of the night and smashed my face. only injury i have is a nagging achilles that pulls up tight every couple of weeks.

compare that to when i was 25 when i weight 240+ lbs, couldn't run a mile, dipped all day, and was too lethargic to swim or play with my kids. i'm 70 lbs lighter today. couldn't pick me out of a lineup from my before picture.
EMY92
AG

Walk a minimum of 6 miles per day.

Eat better than I ever had.

Outlived my sister who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the same age I was, outlived my father when diagnosed with the same cancer (not a major accomplishment, he died 5 weeks after he was diagnosed).

I a fit, look very healthy, and feel good. However, I am still surprised that I am still around.
ptothemo
AG
I haven't responded to this yet because it kind of feels like bragging, which makes me really uncomfortable. Bragging is definitely not my intention, but I am damn proud of my story. So here goes....

31 and in the best shape of my life. I struggle to put a number to it just because of different ways to look at the number. Relative to where I was, I would be a 15/10. Relative to where I am and where I want to be, I am more like a 9.

30th birthday - weighed 210 or 215, couldn't run a mile, never worked out, ate terribly, drank waayyy too much, smoked, dipped, you name it - literally a walking and talking health and life insurance problem

Today - 166 pounds, work out and run 16 to 18 hours per week, eat really clean and whole, haven't had a drink or cigarette in about 16 months and haven't had a dip in about 2 months, resting heart rate, blood pressure, and other key markers are way better

My 32nd birthday will be the day before my second full marathon so long as I can keep my right knee in one piece for the next few months.

It's been a hell of a ride to say the least!
c-jags
No reason to have shame or feel like you're bragging.

I went from 240 to 170 between 25 and 35 and am damn proud of it. Every other member of my family in my side is 250+ and shorter than 5'9. They're all suffering from numerous health problems, namely my 37 year old sister who is 5'0 and 275 with diabetes and deteriorating bones.

I don't want that legacy for my kids. It's not about looks, but about being healthy enough to be together for a long time or as long as the Lord lets me be on Earth.

I hope that people come here wanting to change their life hear those stories and are inspired.

AggieChemist is one of the best fatties to fit stories on here and I'm super proud of him.
AggieOO
hard for me to answer this question. If you are comparing me against the average 40 year old in america, i'm probably a 9.5/10, but if you put me on the AggieOO scale, I'm probably at about a 7. Which is kind of weird to say looking a the time I put in. I'm probably putting in ~15+ hours a week between running, riding, and the gym.

I have the endurance, I just can't get back down to my "peak" weight, so that affects my speed a lot. I know what the problem is...I like food, specifically mexican food, way too much. And beer. I drink less often than I use to, but I tend to like big, malty beers, which = lots of calories.

That said, I've never smoked a cigarette or dipped in my life. I very, very rarely get sick. And overall, I have no health issues currently. I haven't had a running injury in about a decade that has be serious enough to take off more than a day or two...unless you count an acute injury from a fall that happened during a race. And people are generally pretty surprised when they find out how old I am.
mrsbeer05
AG
35 (36 @ the end of Oct) I run 4 days/wk and strength train 2days/week. My diet could be better, but I like food and refuse to live forever if it means eating only lettuce. I do have ulcerative colitis, but I'm pretty sure that is all genetic considering the history of auto-immune diseases in my family. However, other than the UC I can honestly say I feel the best I've ever felt. I looked at our wedding picture yesterday and I honestly do not look all that much older and I was 23, so I call that a win. Overall I'd give myself an 8
TXTransplant
AggieOO said:

hard for me to answer this question. If you are comparing me against the average 40 year old in america, i'm probably a 9.5/10, but if you put me on the AggieOO scale, I'm probably at about a 7. Which is kind of weird to say looking a the time I put in. I'm probably putting in ~15+ hours a week between running, riding, and the gym.

I have the endurance, I just can't get back down to my "peak" weight, so that affects my speed a lot. I know what the problem is...I like food, specifically mexican food, way too much. And beer. I drink less often than I use to, but I tend to like big, malty beers, which = lots of calories.

That said, I've never smoked a cigarette or dipped in my life. I very, very rarely get sick. And overall, I have no health issues currently. I haven't had a running injury in about a decade that has be serious enough to take off more than a day or two...unless you count an acute injury from a fall that happened during a race. And people are generally pretty surprised when they find out how old I am.

Your post spoke to me. I'm the female version of this...will be 40 in a few weeks. I'm probably in the best health of my life (which doesn't equate to the lowest weight, BTW). My annual bloodwork and other health-related screenings I get done at work have come back perfect the past few years. I've never smoked or tried any type of drug. I got rid of my (absolutely debilitating) migraines by giving up caffeine. I'm exercising more (~8 or more hours a week) and get told all the time that I look like I'm in my early 30s. Aside from IBS-type symptoms, which kind of has me frustrated right now, I have nothing to complain or worry about. I haven't taken a sick day in over 6 years (may even be over 8 years).

But, I have a bad habit of comparing myself to other people. I think for women this is especially tough. I see women my age who are in much worse shape, but I also see those who appear to be in much better shape - specifically they don't have the lower-abdominal "pooch" that I just can't seem to get rid of.

And despite trying to eat healthy, I like wine and bread and cheese (although, I've cut way back on the carbs the past few weeks).

Speaking as a woman, I think we've lost sight of what a healthy woman should look like. Too much photo shop; you don't even know what's real anymore. It's hard for me to objectively know if I'm "healthy" (at least from a physical standpoint). And plastic surgery is so much more accessible/affordable, it seems like a lot more people are turning to that, which further distorts what's "real" (mostly mommy makeovers and breast implants, but it's very prevalent among the women where I live).

With that said, approaching 40, I've realized my body is changing. There are certain activities that really wear me out, and I take longer to recover. There are things that permanently changed (for better and for worse) after pregnancy and childbirth. But, overall, I'd say I'm an 8 if I grade how I feel on a day to day basis. I definitely feel better now than I did 6 or 7 years ago.
Big Cat `93
AG
I'm 48, and I'd say I'm an 8. I originally said a 9, but I know I would feel better and have fewer aches and pains if I would finally get serious about increasing my flexibility.
bert harbinson
AG
Turned 56 last month, no general health issues, fortunately weight has never been a problem, but still eat healthy for the most part. I was feeling good and running was going great until I tore my ACL skiing in February (surgery in April). The 'return to running' part of PT has just now started and I hope to see slow, steady improvement over the next few months. I've done a lot of swimming and cycling as a replacement for running and I may actually be in better shape overall than before the injury. I feel good otherwise , but I'll say 6.5 out of 10 because of the knee. Highly motivated to change that.
Potcake
AG
I'm 56, started yoga 1-2 days per week about 4 years ago. It has helped a lot.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm 29 and in the best shape of my life. I've never been a gym person, but have maintained a habit of going to the gym 3-5 times a week for over a year.

September 2016, 27 years old - 175 lbs (relatively unhealthy, but not in terrible shape, just eating poorly, 5/10)
My only brother passed away tragically in a car accident. We were very close and I was hurting. I became angry and started drinking a lot. Ate even worse than I already was and started hating life.

November 2016, 27 years old - 195 lbs (2/10)
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law convinced my wife and I to seek help dealing with the grief of losing my brother. They had lost a child during birth in 2012 and had seen a grief counselor and suggested we do the same. She (the counselor) completely changed mine and my wife's life. In fact, I still see her. She recognized that I was dealing with depression and helped me get on track with better eating.

July 2017, 28 years old - 180 lbs ~28% BF (4/10)
Lost 15 lbs just by cutting out fast food, but still didn't feel great. Started Whole30 with my wife and started going to the gym to lift weights. Whole30 was tough, but it allowed us to recognize how certain foods made us feel. I also began to realize that I was still using alcohol to cope with depression and grief since the Whole30 made me give it up for a month. I still drink now, but in a much healthier (and productive?) way.

December 2017, 28 years old - 155 lbs ~18% BF (7/10)
Lost weight on Keto.

March 2018, 29 years old - 145 lbs ~14.9% BF (7.5/10)
Lost on a normal diet, but upping exercise intensity to build more muscle. Reached goal of 50 lbs lost since start of weight loss journey. Decided to start bulking.

August 2018, 29 years old - 158 lbs ~15.2% BF (8/10)
Gaining muscle with minimal fat during the bulk. Feel great. Have a ton of energy. Still dealing with depression and grief, but feeling the best I've felt in years. The grief never really goes away, but it gets better.

It sounds cliche, but maintaining a health diet and exercising regularly has completely changed my life.
BQ2001
AG
I'm 39 going on 40 and I'd say I'm a 6.5/10 right now. Looking back at myself 8 years ago I was in my best shape. Low weight and body fat, working out a lot, doing tri's, and marathons with ease.
I got a little lazy a couple years ago and gained some weight back and got slower. I'm getting back now though, about 10-12 lbs from my ideal racing weight, eating a lot better and working out consistently (and hitting the workouts on the schedule).

I want to get back to where I could go out and do a 4 hour marathon (and someday a lot faster) on a whim. I remember booking a last minute trip to California, saw the San Francisco marathon was the same week, signing up and doing it no problem. I want to be there again.
Kool
AG
I am in my early 50s. I weighed within about 5 - 10 pounds of my high school graduation weight until just a couple of years ago. I was never obese, and I always did a fair amount of exercise, but my weight slowly drifted up a couple of years ago. I was cajoled into doing a triathlon, and in training for it I lost 25 pounds and now weigh less than my high school weight (I don't have as much muscle as back then, to be sure).

The two things I have noticed are that I cannot eat everything I would want, as I was always able to do when I was younger, and it takes me a lot longer to heal up from any injuries. There are definitely times when I WANT to go out and do something that will physically benefit me, but due to some nagging injury I have to rest or do something I would rather not do instead.

For me, I find that I either need to find an exercise that I enjoy or have a goal in front of my face. If I don't meet one of those two situations, my exercise tends slip and overall health as well. I like reading about what others are doing, successes they have had, etc., in this Forum. It's hard to give myself a 1-10 rating, but I feel that I am about where I should be right now, given the constraints of work and family life.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Geriatric Punk
AG
This thread is really telling about this community. Love the insight.

39. Give myself a 6.5 right now, but only because I am just now getting back into the swing of things after having a baby.

I generally try to break a sweat every day. I don't always succeed. I never lift heavy or do super intense activity anymore, as I find it is too hard on my body. Ideally, I try to follow these rules:

1. Resistance train 3 x week.
2. Run/stairs/ride for 20-30 mins 3-4 times a week.
3. Eat well during the week.
4. Eat what I want Friday night and Saturday.
5. Beer/wine on weekends only (and don't get wasted - ie: avoid spirits unless you have "a" proper drink).

Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Ulrich
30. I pretty much always feel ok from a health standpoint and I've never really been sick (one sick day in the last 10 years), but I'm also in constant pain from joint and soft tissue injuries that never quite seem to all heal at the same time. I've never been able to get into distance running the way I want to because of it, but I'm used to the pain now.
rebag00
AG
40. 6'1", 223 lbs. I have been doing IF (16:8) for a couple months and the last few weeks switched up to OMAD (22:2). I do cardio 5-6x/week (Peloton, Orange Theory) and lift 2x/week. I have also added in a yoga class 1 to 2x/week.

My metabolism has slowed to a glacial pace. I haven't lost (or gained) any weight in about 18 months. I have been up to 230 lbs, and about 3 years ago I was down to 195 (as a result of I basically stopped eating for 2 weeks due to illness/complications from treatment). I am trying to get back down to sub 200 lbs, but it is proving much more difficult than I had originally planned on. I feel like I am starving myself most days.

I feel like I am a 7 out of a 10 scale. Mainly the excess weight and some eating habits keeping me from scoring higher. And wanting to have more flexibility. And I sit most of the day when i am working in the office. I only drink water and black coffee, with the occasional beer or glass of wine with dinner. I eat fairly clean, mostly protein and healthy fats, but not Keto or anything like that.
P.U.T.U
AG
6 out of 10, 6'1" 205 and the body fat level (about 10%) I want. Don't sleep enough (about 6 hours a night), drink (2-3 days a week), and bad joints are things I can work on. I like the feeling of being stronger compared to when I was doing triathlons at 160-165 pounds but my knees like the lighter weight better. Knowledge of diet and exercise keeps improving and I would say I was a 5 a few years ago.
Quinn
AG
31 and I would give myself an 8. If I cleaned up my diet and ate like I was eating earlier in the year, I could be a 9. I'm in as good of shape as I've ever been in my adult life. I'm only working out two or three times a week, but I stay active playing with my toddler/yard work/playing golf. I never got drastically out of shape, but it was hard to keep up really good fitness when I was working in public accounting in my early to mid 20s. No real injuries to speak of, and my PF has pretty much cleared up. This month is the 20th anniversary of my type 1 diabetes diagnosis, so I think I'm doing pretty damn good in beating that.
Hoosegow
46. 6'2" 275 (down from 335 in December of 2015).

I'm going to break it down into categories into what I perceive most people my age are at.
Flexibility - 3
Aerobic capacity - 6.5
Anaerobic capacity - 8
Strength - 10
Stress (recently divorced) - went from a 2 to a 5.
Sleep - 3
Biologic indicators - I'm not on any BP/Cholesterol/etc. meds - 7 (Most folks my age i know are on something)
Healthy life style - no tobacco, too much alcohol, diet good so 7.

Overall - 7. Though many days I feel like a 1. If I could get enough sleep and reduce my stress level even more, I thing I would feel great.

TXTransplant
Quote:

Overall - 7. Though many days I feel like a 1. If I could get enough sleep and reduce my stress level even more, I thing I would feel great.

I was wondering if anyone else ever felt this way...so much so that I was going to reply asking that very question.

I gave myself an 8 for the days I feel good, but on the days that aren't (which is probably 2-3 times a month, depending on what's going on), that drops to a 3 or 4 (assuming a 1 means you feel so bad you can't get out of bed/go to work). That seems like such a big swing to me.

Just today, I had to go to a meeting that was almost a 2 hour drive away. Felt great when I got up (at 430) and great for the entire drive. Then I got there and parked. When I tried to get out of the car, I literally stumbled and had to catch myself from falling because my lower body was so stiff. It was a very uncomfortable walk from the car to the building where the meeting was. Thankfully, I felt fine the rest of the day, but I've known for some time now that if I sit for too long (especially if it's in a car or an airplane seat) or stand for too long, my body just revolts. To the point where sometimes I feel like an 80 year old woman. It's definitely frustrating, especially considering how much I exercise (including yoga/stretching).
NoahAg
38 yr old male. Feel pretty healthy. In some ways I'm in the best shape ever. Not many fast twitch muscles anymore tho. Not as strong as I used to be. But not much body fat either. I can run far too tho.
P.U.T.U
AG
I should mention we have a 2 month old which doesn't help with the sleep
Your Friend
38 male. I don't drink or smoke and eat sensibly. And I thought I was in good shape until I started CrossFit this week. 7.2
MyTexasCarGuy
AG
43.... Between my wife and I, we've lost 330+ lbs (230 in last year).... best shape I've been in 25+ years even going back to my time in Corps & Band
#gigem
CapCityAg95
AG
46, female. I'm feeling about a 7/10. Lift heavy bars and stuff 2x a week, MTB at least 3 hours, but aim for 6+ when work is manageable.

I always thought women were exaggerating menopause symptoms, but that **** is real. A little hormone therapy has me sleeping again and feeling like my old self, hence the 7. Hope to be a 8.5-9 when I drop the 8ish lbs I've put on the last 3 years. Occasional lower back pain and a rare eye issue will always keep from a 10.
Potcake
AG
MyTexasCarGuy said:

43.... Between my wife and I, we've lost 330+ lbs (230 in last year).... best shape I've been in 25+ years even going back to my time in Corps & Band

330 pounds? Kicked the kids out of the house, huh?
Seriously that is awesome. Keep it up.
Null and Void
Good thread. Gonna borrow Hoosegow's format:

58. 6'8" 245 18% body fat

Flexibility - 4
Aerobic capacity - 2
Anaerobic capacity - 7
Strength - 8
Stress, anxiety, depression - 2.
Sleep - 4
Meds - 6 (Testosterone, Flomax)
Diet - 2 (Binge eat as an escape)
Healthy life style - no tobacco, minimal alcohol - 6.

Overall - 5.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.