Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

IF

2,668 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Solo Tetherball Champ
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I'd share this. I'm not big on trendy stuff. I know what works and what doesn't work. I've tried just about everything to get big, to lose weight, to get stronger, etc. I've never done IF. There is enough evidence out there for me to give it a try. I've convinced 3 of my co-workers to do the same. If anyone is interested, this thread will chronicle a 4 week trial.

We are doing the 16-8 IF. Because we all like to drink, we are basically going from Sunday fast start to Friday fast end. This certainly isn't ideal but it is real world. We are all men, aged 34-46 with different fitness levels.

Everyone weighed in yesterday. Here are the starting numbers with commentary.
36 yr old new dad. 2 kids - new born less than 3 weeks old. One of the best athletes I've been around but now sedentary. 210
34 yr old. Pretty strong. Loves strong man work outs. Been doing HIiT cardio/strength for a year. My rival. 278.1
41 yr old. Former D2 defensive lineman. Traditional fitness workouts. Steady state cardio, some weights. High athletic potential (jealous of his natural ability). 314.
My lame azz. 46, fat. Untalented. Old. 278. Lucky to be able to tie my shoes.

We'll weigh in on Thursday and I'll post the numbers
AgEng06
AG
In.

As a fellow IF'er, I'm interested to see your thoughts/experiences.
FirefightAg
AG
Been IF 16-8 since July 1, 7 days a week. No other real diet changes. Still eat ok at best only 2 big meals a day maybe a snack. I feel bloated after lunch everytime still. I think I eat too fast though. Instrested to see your take.
ptothemo
AG
In before the inevitable great debate on coffee and fasting. We can't seem to have a fasting thread without it.....

I'm definitely curious to see the results of this, especially given the four "test cases" and week to week results side by side. T&P for the rest of y'all's coworkers as you adjust to the new schedule over the next few days.
mrsbeer05
AG
in
Geriatric Punk
AG
Go get'em.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Quinn
AG
Will be interesting to follow.

What are the goals? Weight loss? Just see what happens?
bushytailed
AG
In.

I started IF on 7/22 and am doing 16-8. I was down 3.5 pounds in my first week. I'm not drinking M-F and am allowing myself one non-fasting day on the weekend.

I'm amazed at how easy it has been so far.
Hoosegow
As you can see by our weights, all of us could stand to lose a few pounds. Really, for me, I like to try new stuff - especially if it passes the sniff test. IF passes the sniff test so I thought I'd give it a try. If I happen to get sexy in the process, so be it.
Wife is an Aggie
Are all of you doing your eating window between lunch/dinner (12pm-8pm)? What time does everyone workout?
Hoosegow
Pretty much - based on when we eat. One guy trains fasted. Two of us train in the afternoon.
Tailgate88
AG
Following!
AggieChemist
AG
IF only works if you crossfit, too.
TJJackson
I strongly recommend IF, so I'll be watching this thread as well. Good luck! It gets easier with time.
Hoosegow
Everyone lost weight in week one. Let's see what happens after this weekend.

313.8 311.8
210 206.4
278.2 272
278 274
KidDoc
AG
It would be more valid if you had BMI's and body fat %. Those weights could mean so much.

Thanks for sharing though! I'm a chronic IF'er as it helped me drop from 285 (BMI 40.9 BF 33%) to my current stable weight of 230ish (BMI 33.4 25%). Still not great and I'm slowly trying to smush it down lower. I got down to 195 at one point a few years ago but that was with IF & aggressive calorie restriction (1200/day) and I felt awful so I loosened up.

For me fasting from 9ish to noon is very easy especially on work days.

Good luck!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hoosegow
Get me four scientifically accurate BMI scales and I'll be happy to tack and post.
KidDoc
AG
Hoosegow said:

Get me four scientifically accurate BMI scales and I'll be happy to tack and post.
Pass! I can provide a link though they aren't that expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Yunmai-Smart-Scale-Composition-Monitor/dp/B01GKDYHGS/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1533305442&sr=8-5&keywords=yunmai+bluetooth+scales
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
I figure a few of your guys are lifters, interested on how you guys feel during your workouts.
Hoosegow
I feel fine but I'm not lifting during my fast time. One guy had a bad day yesterday but we're chalking that up to a bad day. We'll see
UpstateAg
AG
Interested in y'alls progress. I started a month ago and have loved it, but interested to see how your lifts fluctuate.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I had some pretty bad sinus arrhythmia for a few days after a heavy night of drinking and I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change.

Went strict keto, 16/8 IF and I have a couple beers a week. About 1500 calories a day. About 20g carbs a day.

Started at 268. Down 27 pounds in 6 wks. Losing .5 pounds now daily very reliably. Trying to get below 200. I don't think I'll be able to do keto forever, or at least not this strict. I'll probably transition to 100g carbs a day after a few months.

IF is pretty easy with keto, since I'm pretty much never hungry.

Hoosegow
313.8 311.8 310
210 206.4 205.5
278.2 272 277.3
278 274 275
Pahdz
Anyone doing IF lift in the AM around 6am but don't start your eating window until 12 noon?
UpstateAg
AG
I know one or two CrossFit guys do. I left either at 10 or two. Depending on schedule, but my window is 1230 to 8
Hoosegow
I don't want my body struggling for energy when I'm training. Some of it is just old habits. I want to say bigtruck did IF and fasted during training and had great results. Don't know if he'll chime in or not.

FWIW I was down to 272 post training.
UpstateAg
AG
If I train before breaking the fast, I have to really make sure I have it over done it on black coffee. And if I was going to train in the morning, I make sure to have carbs right at the end of my window. That helps a lot.
P.U.T.U
AG
Pahdz said:

Anyone doing IF lift in the AM around 6am but don't start your eating window until 12 noon?

Yup, get hungry but it fades away
bigtruckguy3500
I did indeed have some really good gains when I first started IF, coupled with increasing my workout frequency from 2-3x a week to 6-7x a week. Eating less also meant more time for sleep, and getting more work done (or working out) when others were eating lunch. I think I dropped around 15 pounds or so over 5-6 months, while setting PRs in virtually all my lifts, and gaining size.

Training fasted definitely takes getting used to. I think there is a mental barrier to convincing yourself you're still going to be able to lift as heavy fasted as you are fed. I'm not sure how much of it is mental, and how much of it is real, but I've at the very least convinced myself that I train better in a fasted state. There is some physiology behind why someone may feel better/stronger working out fasted, but I don't know how much that is theoretical and how much is real.

It's probably part broscience, but I also feel that if I workout and then eat a huge meal, my muscles are just begging to suck up all the nutrients.
AgEng06
AG
Yes. I do CrossFit at 5am. My eating window is 12-8pm.
newhowdyag2004
Yup. I'm done lifting at 645 am and don't eat until noon. So far, it hasn't hurt my gains (they 5-6 hrs of sleep isn't helping though..)
FirefightAg
AG
I lift during my fast and pretty late into it. Usually workout around 10-1030 then eat about 1230. I don't feel any worse. I will say I take a 1/2 scoop of BCAAs prior to workout and they have about 3 calories in that scoop.
Hoosegow
Gave it a good try. I'm not a believer that IF works - at least the way we did it.

#1 start 313.8 end 312
#2 start 210 end 208
#3 start 278 end 273 (he quit drinking too so he isn't sure what to attribute the loss to)
#4 start 278 end 278
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Hoosegow said:

Gave it a good try. I'm not a believer that IF works - at least the way we did it.

#1 start 313.8 end 312
#2 start 210 end 208
#3 start 278 end 273 (he quit drinking too so he isn't sure what to attribute the loss to)
#4 start 278 end 278

For me, I find it impossible to eat 3000 calories if I only eat between noon and 7.

I can't help but lose weight.
P.U.T.U
AG
I just try to eat in a 12 hour time frame. It gives me more consistent energy throughout the day
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.