Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bicycle Riders - need recommendations - changing bike

1,068 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Endo Ag
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to change my style of bike. I need to. I currently ride a Specialized Secteur road bike but no longer ride smooth pavement (too much traffic). I now ride county paved roads which are full of potholes, some gravel and rough pavement. Needless to say, my bike isn't made for that terrain. Hell on my wrists. I want to change bikes to something that will absorb these roads better.

I looked at a couple of bikes yesterday at Bicycle Sport Shop but didn't have much time to shop. I looked at a Surly Midnight Rider and a Specialized Diverge. I may want to go to a flat handle bar though and didn't look at any of those options.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
CapCityAg95
AG
For comfort, you should at least consider a wider tire for rough terrain. Surly makes flat bar touring bikes and do everything bikes with both drop and flat bars. I hopped on a flat bar Surly with 3 inch tires and thought it was both comfortable and fun.

If you have to keep up with others, I would look into traditional Cyclecross bikes or a touring style road bike with a wider, knobby tire.

Cyclecross
Endo Ag
AG
I got a Diverge for my Birthday last spring. It's fantastic. I ride 3 miles on the super smooth Blue Ridge Parkway to a park with miles and miles of Forest Service roads, and it handles them all. I've got it set up with 1x11 and it might miss a little bit of top end when descending the parkway, but it is great, and not having a front derailleur is one less thing to worry about.

The tiny shock in the headtube isn't noticeable over any given bump or when cornering, but my arms feels so much better after a ride.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AsYnDwDTUxC4Xom26
RockOn
Look at Salsa bikes. I have a Fargo that I can take on the trail and I use for committing around town. They have a wide array of models that can fit your needs
ptothemo
AG
Endo Ag said:

I ride 3 miles on the super smooth Blue Ridge Parkway
Not really on topic, but this caught my eye. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?
wxguy95
AG
The Secteur disc I bought had bigger tires (32s I believe) and was being used for cyclocross/light off-roading. That would be a relatively cheap change that could vastly improve the ride.
AggieOO
my first thought was a cyclocross bike.
Cromagnum
AG
I got a mountain bike and put on wider slicks. I can't keep up with all the Roadies, but I have no issue with bumps and gravel and can still maintain north of 15 mph easily and Sprint above 25.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go test drive some of these bikes. I'm ready for a new bike anyways.
I've done a lot of reading on these bikes. Excited to go try them out. My smooth road days are over. Onward!!!!
CoolaidWade
AG
What is your budget? Because I'd love to get my hands on a Santa Cruz stigmata. It's their cyclecross bike and it's pretty awesome although it starts at around $3500. I just convinced my wife to get a new Santa Cruz 5010 so I don't think I'm getting a new bike anytime soon.

My "roadie" is a Gary Fisher Mendota and meets all your requirements. Although they haven't been in production for years now and I'm not giving mine up. I love that thing. Maybe you can find a used Mendota?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
That Stigmata is a clean looking bike. A bit out of my budget though. Looking to spend not more than $2K.

The Salsa Fargo is a nice looking bike too. I'll be checking it, the Surly Midnight Rider and the Specialized Diverge out this Wednesday along with a few others.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I picked up a new Specialized Diverge Comp E5 yesterday. It felt the best for me out of all the bikes I test rode.
Came with 30's. I'm gonna put some bigger tires on it. Just need to figure out which ones to go with.
bert harbinson
AG
Congrats!
Loving my Specialized road bike. Had the same experience, it just felt right for me.
Endo Ag
AG
ptothemo said:

Endo Ag said:

I ride 3 miles on the super smooth Blue Ridge Parkway
Not really on topic, but this caught my eye. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?
Asheville, NC
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.