Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

pull up bar

1,948 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
kapon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i just read the book by Jocko Willink, "Way of the Warrior Kid", and wanted to get a pull up bar or something like it for my 10 year old son.

My son is 5'3" and about 135 pounds.

i know he can't do any pull ups and hasn't done many push ups.

I would like him to go to the new school and not get upset if they do these in PE the first week or so.

What do y'all suggest would work best?

Thanks!
GIG 'EM!
AggieT
AG
Maybe one of the ones that fit on a door frame would work?

As far as pull ups, if he can't do any, start with negatives.
RockOn
Ya the door frame ones are good.
Seven Costanza
AG
Any of the basic door frame bars would work. And doing negatives will help build his strength until he can do a couple. I wouldn't be too worried about it, though. I bet most ten year olds can't do a pull up.
NoahAg
5' 3" 135 lbs 10 year old?! Can he play linebacker?
trip
AG
Get a door frame one and get the assist bands.
reproag
AG
Several to choose from HERE or HERE

"Put in the garage and get after it" - Uncle Jake
P.U.T.U
AG
Whatever one you both will use. Door ones are nice as long as you are not too worried about scuffing up a door frame. If you have the room I would suggest a power rack since you do pullups on those and can grow into other exercises like dips, squats, hanging core work, etc. A good pullup bar is about $100, I picked up a Fitness Reality 810 for $165 (watch the prices) and while it is not ideal it is more than fine to build up on. Right now it is $245 and their are a lot better options for $300 if you can spring for it.

Most important here is you will need to put in the work if you are not already. Lead by example
kapon
AG
I am (wife is) concerned about door frame damage.
Rack maybe in the garage.
Thanks for suggestions!
GIG 'EM!
TwoMarksHand
AG
Crappy audio at parts, but here is a pretty cool video on how to build up to your first pull up.

SJEAg
AG
I remember being traumatized as a kid with the flex arm hang test for the PE fitness test patch or whatever. I couldn't hang for even 5 seconds. I still have an occasional nightmare about it 30 years later.
Madmarttigan
AG
You can get the door frame ones, just fold up a towel and put it between the bar and the door frame to keep it from pressing and denting/scuffing the door frame. It has held me just fine at 220-230 lbs.
Formerly tv1113
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, I use a couple of dish towels to protect.

They don't scuff up the frame, but they can put a slight indentation in it. On the opposite side, the paint on the wall above the frame may take a bit of a toll, but nothing that cant be touched up.

Another option is to simply be strategic about which door frame you use it on. Pick a room, closet, etc that is off-the-beaten path.
FL_Ag1998
AG
NoahAg said:

5' 3" 135 lbs 10 year old?! Can he play linebacker?

No kidding! Even if he's 10 going on 11, your kids a monster (in a good way)!
Ragoo
AG
build one in the garage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mueller-Proline-1-2-in-dia-Black-Iron-Floor-Flange-Fitting/1000217675

(2) flanges from above link
(2) 1" x 10" nipples,
(2) 1" 90 degree Ells
(1) 1" x 48" pipe
(1) 5' long 2x4
(8) 3" screws
(8) hex head screws
assemble pipe
screw 2x4 into ceiling to distribute the load
screw pipe assembly into 2x4

here is a fancy example, further down the link is exactly what i describe above

http://www.makeapullupbar.com/
bigtruckguy3500
I can't remember if it was when I was at the end of high school or just starting college, but my dad and I installed one in the garage. Basically attached angle irons directly to the rafters/joists in the garage attic, and then took a steel pipe, flattened out the ends, drilled a hole through the flattened out portion, and bolted it to the angle irons.

Took a lot of work, but was finally able to hit my first dead hang pullup starting at the end of my fish year of college.

Lots of movements can work the lats besides pullups, but for a 10 year old it might be a bit hard to get him to do them well.
O.G.
With all due respect to everyone posting above about the door frame pull up bars, those things are junk and
the inside door frame of a house is too short.

If you are following Jocko Willinks advice, and I agree with it, build him one in the garage or back yard with materials from home depot. (Jocko even says not to buy the door frame kind)

Build it tall enough so that, as he grows it won't be too short for him. (ones inside the house in a door frame tend to be too short for realistic pullups)

You don't have to get too crazy with it,
I use one at the gym or at a local park, but if I were going build one for hard use, I'd put it in the back with
4x4s and a 2inch pipe as a bar. Do not let him put tape on it, even in the summer, calluses are good.
You can use a milk crate to help him reach the bar if he needs it. Height of the bar needs to be high enough so that he can not touch the ground and he won't have to bend his legs at the knees to keep himself from touching like you have do to with a door frame version.

Have him do a couple every day or every other day and he will build up to it. I do thiem in sets of 5, typically, with about one minute rest between and keep going until failure. Doing negatives on the "down" is a great way to build as well. Don't let him just flop back down. It needs to be controlled.

Pull ups were very hard to tackle for me, so I made it a personal challenge and something I could build up to.
Now I love doing them.

Also, and I can not over emphasize this enough, the fish-wiggle/kipping/joke of a so called pull up that you see
cross fitters doing....is NOT a pull up. A pull up is, pulling yourself up until your chin clears the bar, down to a dead hang and back up.
Koko Chingo
AG
If you know a Marine, ask them. Pull ups are part of the Marine Corps PT test. There is a lot of info online for maxing out the pull up test. I would start there.

Thier PT test effects promotion so it's important to them.
Presley OBannons Sword
Two 4x6s in concrete and a pipe. I built one in my back yard. Cheap and easy. Get after it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.