Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Boston 2019

5,078 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Pilot
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Registration is about three months away. Who is going? Does anyone have a last chance to BQ race before September? It's hard to predict a cutoff since they vary the number of qualified runners they take each year but for previous years they had:

Boston 2018 had a 3:23 cutoff
Boston 2017 had a 2:09 cutoff
Boston 2016 had a 2:28 cutoff
Boston 2015 had a 1:02 cutoff
Boston 2014 had a 1:38 cutoff

If I had to guess at a cutoff, I'd say somewhere in the 2-3 min range is a good bet. I've got a 5:27 cushion so I should be good to go for my 6th Boston in a row.

Quote:

• Monday, September 10, 10:00 a.m. ET Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or more.
  • Wednesday, September 12, 10:00 a.m. ET Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or more (if space remains).
  • Friday, September 14, 10:00 a.m. Qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard by 5 minutes, 00 seconds or more (if space remains).
  • Saturday, September 15, 10:00 p.m. ET Week One registration closes.
  • Monday, September 17. 10:00 a.m. ET All qualifiers who have met the qualifying standard (if space remains) may submit an entry.
  • Wednesday, September 19, 5:00 p.m. ET Week Two registration closes.
  • Registration from September 10-19 will not be first-come, first-served.
  • The fastest qualifiers in gender and age groups will be given entry as space allows.
  • Monday, September 24, 10:00 a.m. ET: If space remains after the first two weeks of registration, then registration will re-open to anyone who meets the qualifying standards on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.
  • Registration for all qualified applicants will close when the maximum field size is reached, or until Sunday, October 28 at 5:00 p.m. ET.

Sooner Born
As of this morning, I'm planning on going. 6:35 cushion here.
Motot
AG
Planning on going, 5:25 minute below my cutoff.
sims05
AG
What year is this one? I was thinking about waiting to do the next big milestone.
Sooner Born
It was founded in 1897 so the next "big" anniversary would probably be 125 in 2021.

Edit - math is hard...
The Pilot
AG
Quote:

April 15, 2019 - 123rd Boston Marathon
April 20, 2020 - 124th Boston Marathon
April 19, 2021 - 125th Boston Marathon
LINK
drewbie08
AG
3:17 cutoff...I'm nervous
gd28
AG
7:17 cushion, can't wait to register for my first Boston Marathon!
coop-aero-06
AG
I'm doubtful for 2019. I got a qualifier with a 3:40 cushion at this year's Boston Marathon, but I might wait to go back until my wife also qualifies.
NoahAg
I'm training to go for a BQ in December. Reading this thread is deflating. "3:10" is the BQ time for my age. But I read this thread and Boston is like "not so fast my friend." I guess I actually need a 3:05.
zachsccr
AG
I haven't been back since 2013. I have a 7+ minute cushion, but I just started physical therapy school. Trying to figure out if we can make the trip happen with a wife and a daughter while I'm not bringing in income. Either way, I know where my heart will be on Patriot's Day.
drewbie08
AG
How do they allocate the number of spots per age group?
zachsccr
AG
They allocate the spots based on qualifying times for each age group. They don't look for X number of 40-45 year olds, but they do put everyone on an "equal" qualifying playing field. My age has to run sub 3:05 so all people in my age range are looked at based on our times compared to the 3:05 mark. Men 50-55 need a 3:30 to qualify and they are then sorted based on their performance against that mark.

Making your qualifying time means you have the opportunity to register. From there, they look at the overall number of registrants for all ages and genders from the 2 week period and sort it down to meet their cap numbers for entrants. The difficult thing for a lot of runners is making their qualifying time by a few minutes, but not knowing where the time cut off will be for that year. It all depends on how many people register and how fast under the qualifying times everyone was.
drewbie08
AG
Right. I ran 3:17 faster than my qualifying standard (m 18-34). I want to know prior to September how good of a shot I have. Looks like its questionable, based on last year's times.
Rudyjax
AG
Nice! I didn't know that. Congrats!
The Pilot
AG
Registration opened this week.

Website predicting a 4:03 cutoff.
wangus12
AG
Yeah pretty much have to run a sub 3 hour marathon to qualify for me. Still a ways to go and right now I'm sidelined with a knee issue. Even Houston is looking doubtful this year
The Pilot
AG
Yeah, the young male slot is rough. I have 2 more Bostons before I age up to 3:10.

Hope your knee gets better soon.
MidnightYell2003
AG
So, stupid question here. What does this cutoff mean?
Does that mean that if my BQ qualifying time is 3:10 that I would actually need to run it in 3:06 since there are so many runners who apply to run Boston?

I mean, I am no where near that time so I don't have to worry!
The Pilot
AG
Yes, that's correct. People should really aim for Bq-5 to be safe.
drewbie08
AG
My 3:01 looks like garbage now. Great.
The Pilot
AG
You never know. These predictions are pretty hard to nail.

I do have two friends that have BQ the last five years but have missed the race bc of the cutoff.
The Pilot
AG
Just got my confirmation.
gd28
AG
Just got mine too!
Sooner Born
Got mine as well
The Pilot
AG
Another cheater busted

Unfortunate that some of these cheats keep legitimate qualifiers from running Boston.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
The Pilot said:

Another cheater busted

Unfortunate that some of these cheats keep legitimate qualifiers from running Boston.
Good! Love seeing these guys get busted, so many deserving runners that actually BQ but still won't get in, at least this is one more spot for them.
NoahAg
The Pilot said:

Another cheater busted

I'll never understand these people. How do they feel any satisfaction from doing this? Must be some kind of psychopathy.
Stive
AG
Not to be a complete jerk.....but just look at him? Are there a lot of guys that weigh that much or are built like that running 2:46's?

Crazy Ag 97
AG
Stive said:

Not to be a complete jerk.....but just look at him? Are there a lot of guys that weigh that much or are built like that running 2:46's?

if I'm being completely honest...I thought the exact same thing
wangus12
AG
And he has the nerve to wear a Team RWB shirt
The Pilot
AG
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/09/jd-greening-doubles-down-on-claim-that-he-bqd-and-won-the-wenatchee-marathon.html

Doubling down saying he indeed ran a 2:46.
ptothemo
AG
I'm not really worried about being a jerk....this guy seems like an absolute tool. The fact that he is a tool in a RWB shirt and in all of these races that are bucket list type races for a lot of people makes it even worse.

On a more positive note, congratulations to those of you who are confirmed in. Run on!
wangus12
AG
Yeah all his results point to him being full of ***** Also he seems to be pretty active on posting his runs on social media. If I ever win a race at any distance, that result is going to be posted everywhere. This guy makes no mention of it.

NoahAg
Simple dude: Film yourself running just a 5K at a 7:00 pace. Surely an easy warmup like that is no problem for a 2:46 marathoner. What a loser.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.