Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Symptoms after Going Low Carb/Keto

2,445 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by harge57
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On Tuesday, I cut my carb intake to about 75 g. I'm 6'3 196 and usually eat 250-300 carbs a day. I workout hard for an hour (mixed weights/cardio/agility) around 3 times per week and train jiu-jitsu 3-4 times per week for an hour each time.

On Wed, I had 15 carbs and wanted to see how my body would respond if I decided to Keto. I head a mild headache most of the day. Wed. night, I started getting stomach pain that I would liken to cramps in the low center. It feels like I need to go #2 but I don't.

On Thursday, these cramps continued but I would call them annoying and maybe a 3.5 on a 1-10 scale. I ate about 75 carbs this day trying to get back to normal.

Today, I still have these cramps and they went away when I was light jogging/lifting but are back and are annoying. I also had bad neck pain last night and pain behind my right ribs. I equate those to jiu-jitsu though.

Are these normal Keto flu symptoms or worse? I never have stomach pain and I'm likely to go see a doctor this weekend.
MrJonMan
AG
I've been at 20-30g since Tuesday and it's tough. I work the majority of my job outside, and I definitely can tell a difference. Second guessing myself on doing this in June.....between working out and working outside

Edit to say I don't have any of the symptoms you have mentioned though
Cancelled
AG
My symptoms? Tri endurance went to crap. And couldn't go crap
Guitarsoup
AG
Pretty normal. I keep myself at 10-20 net carbs/day for about 3 weeks at a time.

Constipation is the worst.

After a couple days, I'm keto adapted and feel better, but I do still get worse calf cramps than I do otherwise. Once adapted, I feel much better overall. Except for the constipation.
P.U.T.U
AG
Salt everything, lots of people take electrolytes doing Keto. Salt is your friend in ketosis
Guitarsoup
AG
I always use pink salt as I hear it has more potassium and magnesium than regular table salt.
07fta07
AG
Salt, electrolytes, WATER. I drink water with Nuun tablets in them 1-2 per day.

If you're doing it right, you should feel fairly normal after a few days. Those first 3-5 days can be tough, though.
NurseC
AG
NUUN tablets, NuSalt, Powerade Zero, Propel, Pickle juice..
You need to make sure you're replacing your electrolytes and getting plenty of sodium! Get on Pinterest and look up Ketoflu... hydrating with electrolytes should lessen your symptoms significantly.
94chem
Wheatables02 said:

On Tuesday, I cut my carb intake to about 75 g. I'm 6'3 196 and usually eat 250-300 carbs a day. I workout hard for an hour (mixed weights/cardio/agility) around 3 times per week and train jiu-jitsu 3-4 times per week for an hour each time.

On Wed, I had 15 carbs and wanted to see how my body would respond if I decided to Keto. I head a mild headache most of the day. Wed. night, I started getting stomach pain that I would liken to cramps in the low center. It feels like I need to go #2 but I don't.

On Thursday, these cramps continued but I would call them annoying and maybe a 3.5 on a 1-10 scale. I ate about 75 carbs this day trying to get back to normal.

Today, I still have these cramps and they went away when I was light jogging/lifting but are back and are annoying. I also had bad neck pain last night and pain behind my right ribs. I equate those to jiu-jitsu though.

Are these normal Keto flu symptoms or worse? I never have stomach pain and I'm likely to go see a doctor this weekend.

Why are you doing this?
Max Power
AG
I got some electrolyte pills off amazon and they took care of my headache issues. Try to stay hydrated.
AggieBarstool
Wheatables02 said:

Yes, that's keto flu. As others have said, watch your electrolytes and drink a LOT of water. Also, constipation is a real thing; make sure you're eating a lot of fiber (leafy greens are the best), but you could use fiber additives if you need to.
Wheatables02
AG
So I was just going to experiment with Keto. After this stomach ache, I want nothing to do with it so I'm off.

However I still have stomach cramps off and on today. Yesterday was good as I took tums every few hours. The cramps are in my lower left area and sometimes feel like they are in different areas.

So the stomach cramps have gone on since Wed. night at around 9 pm. Starting to wonder if its something else (gallstones, pancreas, etc). I've only had an appetite maybe once or twice per day.

The rib and neck pain has simmered down which means jiu-jitsu soreness to me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gallstones wouldn't be lower left according to my memory of 9th grade biology from 25 years ago.
AggieChemist
AG
When I went paleo after decades of SAD diet I had cramps like that for weeks. I figured it was my gut flora adjusting to the changes in what they were getting fed. Went away eventually.
Whitetail
AG
NurseC said:

NUUN tablets, NuSalt, Powerade Zero, Propel, Pickle juice..
You need to make sure you're replacing your electrolytes and getting plenty of sodium! Get on Pinterest and look up Ketoflu... hydrating with electrolytes should lessen your symptoms significantly.

Nuun has 4 carbs per tablet! I was shocked.
94chem
...but it tastes awful and is stupid expensive. Just take a Jet Alert with some pickle juice.
94chem
A can of V-8 has 14 g. Apparently fiber doesn't count, though? Only 9 g of sugar. Evil tomatoes.
Madmarttigan
AG
Strangely I definitely got some stomach problems when I started cutting out carbs, but I noticed it was actually peanut butter/peanuts doing it to me. Right after I ate that the stomach issues started. I cut them out completely and have been fine, and recently started eating them again and have been doing okay. I don't know why it happened that way but the stomach issues could be triggered by something you are eating, just a thought.
Formerly tv1113
PetrolAg
AG
I've had the stomach issues before when going back keto. It's just a hydration/electrolyte issue. Drink lots of water, salt everything, and supplement with ultima replenisher or lyteshow.
harge57
AG
Wheatables02 said:

So I was just going to experiment with Keto. After this stomach ache, I want nothing to do with it so I'm off.

However I still have stomach cramps off and on today. Yesterday was good as I took tums every few hours. The cramps are in my lower left area and sometimes feel like they are in different areas.

So the stomach cramps have gone on since Wed. night at around 9 pm. Starting to wonder if its something else (gallstones, pancreas, etc). I've only had an appetite maybe once or twice per day.

The rib and neck pain has simmered down which means jiu-jitsu soreness to me.

I wouldn't say you "experimented" with keto. It's not something you just go on again off again. It can take a week to adapt to it, especially if you have not done it before.

If you really want to try you have to commit at least 3 weeks IMO.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.