Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Compression Shorts for running

1,595 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any recommendations?

With my recent issues at MO100 with severe chaffing, I'm playing it safe at arkansas traveller and I'm going to run in compression shorts. I have a bunch of tri shorts, but don't want a chamois between by legs for 100 miles.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I have no experience with running that far, more than 3 miles even. But, I have some Lulu lemon shorts with built in tights that work pretty good for me. The tights are the same length as the shorts, but will obviously look longer while running. I got a steal for 3 pair when I just happened to be there at the beginning of a sale.
AggieOO
I've had similar shorts before, but looking for a true compression short this time around.
RockOn
I usually shy away from the big brands of Nike, Adidas etc but the Under Armor running tights have been recommended to me before. I've not used them though. I'm a big fan of the Patagonia strider pro shorts
wcb
AG
I've liked my 2xU compression tri shorts. You may want to give their non-tri compression shorts a look.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've been impressed with the pair that I purchased from Road Runner Sports. (RRS brand)
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
wbt5845
AG
Keep us updated on what you try. I've never done longer than a marathon and standard shorts have been fine with me (lucky body build, I suppose).
Aggietaco
AG
I've got a few pair of 2xu and cwx 3/4 and full lengths for cool weather, but after running a bit they still sag low enough that the top few inches of my thighs are able to touch. I don't usually have an issue with leg chaffing, so they've never bothered me, but I did get some chaffing on another part that is unpleasant due to the compression.

You're welcome to borrow a pair if you want to try them out on a run before buying some shorts but they may get a little warm.
bigtruckguy3500
I've used the BCG brand and then whatever Walmart has. They're both pretty good for about a year, then they start wearing out slowly. Can usually get at least 2 years out of a pair. I think some brands have slightly different cuts that they advertise as for reducing chaffing by changing the position of the seams, I don't run far enough to notice a difference.
Hoosegow
Back when I was running, I had bad chaffing problem. My thighs would rub so bad you'd smell bacon. I started using UnderArmour Heat Gear compression shorts back in 2002 and used them up through running my one and only marathon in 2005. So back when I was 240 and running 35-40 miles a week (I know you do that in a day), I would not run without the HeatGear compression shorts. I never had a problem once I started wearing them.

Now all I do is strongman work (prowling, yokebar, keg runs, etc.) and all I need are the Underarmour underwear - 6" or 9" boxer jock.

Class of '94
Phat32
AG
Big fan of the built-in compression shorts for running. Have probably put 3-4K miles in over the past 2 years.

Currently have the Nike ones.
ptothemo
AG
I have worn Nike Pro for some time now and have been pleased with them. I got a few pair of Under Armour and don't like them as much as the Nike due to the UA having a wider waist band and also riding up more. The Nike ones may be a bit on the pricey side, but they have treated me really well. Side but related note, I wear them every workout - be it running, lifting, bike, whatever. I just say that to say that I have also been pleased with how well the Nike ones have held up over time.
GMM
I also have had good luck with Nike Pro. But then again, I have chicken legs and have only dealt with chafing a couple times. But that was 2 times too many which is why I started wearing compression shorts on anything over 3 or 4 miles.
Smokedraw01
I run in shorts and my boxer briefs from Target and they work just fine.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
AggieOO
Smokedraw01 said:

Lol, yeah, that would be a disaster.
BQ2001
AG
I use the under armor boxer briefs under my running shorts even ones with a liner. Have also used 2xu compression in the past in an iron distance instead of tri shorts and they were great.
agcivengineer
AG
I always run in either nike or ua compression shorts. Never had chaffing problems that way....I honestly cant figure out why people dont do this more regular
Smokedraw01
AggieOO said:

Smokedraw01 said:

I'm not sure what the issue is. I use the C9 boxer briefs and chaffing has never been an issue. I'm thinking about trying their C9 bras to see if they work as well.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
The Pilot
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

AggieOO said:

Smokedraw01 said:

I'm not sure what the issue is. I use the C9 boxer briefs and chaffing has never been an issue. I'm thinking about trying their C9 bras to see if they work as well.
Try running 20+ miles like that, then extrapolate the problem and you'll see what's likely to happen if you do this for 100 miles.
P.U.T.U
AG
There are normal people and then the extremes. Wear C9 or BCG stuff when working out for 5+ hours, they are not made for that. At the time De Soto stuff worked for me but that was a few years ago.

I'm surprised there are not more ultra specific clothing but then again it's not a profitable market for companies right now unless you charge $150 for shorts. Not much help here but try it until you find something
CBattBQ87
AG
Best compression shorts I've ever owned were HIND. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in stores in years.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've worn the Under Armor compression tights under my shorts for many long runs and now all my multi day hikes with great success. Plus they aren't super expensive.
c-jags
CBattBQ87 said:

Best compression shorts I've ever owned were HIND. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in stores in years.

I see HIND at Marshall's all the time FWIW.
Smokedraw01
I missed the part about running ultra distances. My attention span didn't make it to the end of the very short post. Apologies.
c-jags
Smokedraw01 said:

I missed the part about running ultra distances. My attention span didn't make it to the end of the very short post. Apologies.

You went 5k on a 50k thread.
AggieOO
100 mile thread...
c-jags
Dammit 00.

You really chafe me sometimes.
CBattBQ87
AG
c-jags said:

CBattBQ87 said:

I see HIND at Marshall's all the time FWIW.
In all fairness, I haven't been in a Marshall's in years, either. LOL
ptothemo
AG
c-jags said:

Dammit 00.

You really chafe me sometimes.

Slow clap worthy!
AggieOO
friend has 50% off UA, so going to start there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.