Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How often do you change out your running shoes?

1,301 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JHUAggie
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've heard anywhere from 300 to 500 miles and/or a certain number of months. Do you have a rule of thumb or just change them when you feel they're worn out?

I run in Brooks Glycerin 15s and have about 270 miles on them right now. I normally change out at 300 miles. But I've lost a lot of weight and these shoes still feel fine.
AgEng06
AG
I change them every time one of these thread comes up... so probably too often.
Aggietaco
AG
My feet have a tendancy to blow out uppers, so I either change when:
the tread looks jacked
too many holes in the uppers
feel like they've got too many miles
tired of wearing them
They get rotated to my cross training shoes (CG) and then to yard shoes before they hit the landfill.
AggieOO
Whenever I feel like they are done for.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Aggietaco said:

They get rotated to my cross training shoes (CG) and then to yard shoes before they hit the landfill.
This.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
AggieOO
i try to do that, but go through shoes too fast and end up with a backlog.

i usually have a couple pair i keep around for different things. Usually have one pair in my trunk for "emergency shoes." I've definitely driven to the trail only to realize i didn't grab my trail shoes. Usually have another pair that become my hiking shoes. And maybe one more that i'll use for various other crap.
c-jags
i have a stupid amount of running shoes, but i rotate heavily and they last me quite a while. i'm also kinda a weirdo about my shoes. i have a bunch of retro Nikes and New Balances in there as well so i never wear my running shoes for everyday stuff.

since i got serious a few years ago i've been able to get a lot of shelf life out of them because i'm not racking up 20-30 miles a week on one pair. i think i bought 4 pair since a little over a year ago at this point and none of them are over 300 miles despite being at over 1k miles since i started tracking on Strava.

i rotate my main 3 (speed, cushion, and trail) and then have 2 pair of travel shoes (road and trail) that stay in the car for work trips.

i have a problem. i get it.

bam02
AG
I'm not a serious runner, but I keep track of mileage on my shoes since Runkeeper app makes it easy. It probably takes me a lot longer to hit 300 miles than most of you. That said, I am skeptical that they'd need to be replaced to to age as long as they're kept inside. I probably get 18 months out of mine.
Geriatric Punk
AG
AggieOO said:

Usually have one pair in my trunk for "emergency shoes." I've definitely driven to the trail only to realize i didn't grab my trail shoes.
Same. I don't know how long my old yellow cascadias lived in the cargo area of my old crossover, but I'm sure it was waaaay too long. That and a pair of hiking Keens for when I was just going up Camelback or Squaw and didn't want to dick with socks.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
94chem
Got about 500 miles on my pair of Trax
coop-aero-06
AG
300-500 miles is a good rule of thumb. I have Strava set up to alert me when I hit 400 miles on my shoes. I'll replace them not long after that.
Dill-Ag13
AG
350 miles. Flat feet, sesamoiditis, plantar fasciitis. I don't mess around
double aught
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Aggietaco said:

This.
Samesies
Smokedraw01
If the shoe and tread are fine I just replace the inserts. Works for me.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
Bert315
AG
I look at tread and how my knees feel. I run in glycerins as well and generally get about 350 miles out of them. Just got a new pair as my knees had started to feel it on 4-5 mile runs. Was at 370 miles on that pair.
Matsui
AG
I only wear my running shoes when I run. I like to trade out around 400 miles.
Sooner Born
I've been as quick as 350 and as long as 500. Around 350 I buy the new pair and then ride the old pair until I start to feel achy/like crap after simple runs. Then it's time to change.
AgPediRPh
AG
Usually 400 miles. My lightweight racing shoes (Hoka Tracer) tend to wear down faster and I'll retire them at 300 miles.
drivinwest
AG
500 is usually my max. When I hit 400 I buy a new pair and slowly rotate them in.
wxguy95
AG
I generally switch out when my feet begin to hurt post run. Generally it is on the lower end of shoe wear...250-275 miles.
c-jags
jjmanzano said:

Usually 400 miles. My lightweight racing shoes (Hoka Tracer) tend to wear down faster and I'll retire them at 300 miles.

I've definitely found that race/speed shoes do not last as long as my trail or distance shoes.
GMM
Brooks Ravennas, about 400 miles. After that, they become dog walking shoes.
trip
AG
I am heavy. 300 miles. I feel it in my shins first.
JHUAggie
I"ll add my $0.02 for the last three pairs...

Pair 1 383 miles (Just about all on treadmill)
Pair 2 248 miles
Pair 3 199 miles
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.