Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anyone doing intermittent fasting?

7,293 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ptothemo
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something I've decided to start trying. Fits with my schedule to begin with as I don't really eat breakfast. Wondering what others experiences with it are, seems like a good way to lose weight but I think there's a bit of a challenge fitting in the proper macros.
10andBOUNCE
AG
https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2868245/replies

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2946343/replies
Tailgate88
AG
https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2943791
Pepper Brooks
AG
Nope, never heard of it. Get out of here with that nonsense.
bam02
AG
Jogging. I believe it's a soft j. You literally just run.
AggieBarstool
OP: If you couldn't tell already, yes, there's plenty of talk on here about IF. I do 16/8 personally. It fits for me, generally. Lost about 12 stubborn pounds mixing it with low-carb and increased exercise. Coffee helps take the edge off the hunger. Drink lots of water.

What concerns do you have?
nashvilleaggie11
What times do you eat between? I read an article yesterday where experts say you HAVE to eat between 10am and 6pm. That's just unrealistic for my lifestyle. Would noon to 8pm really be that bad?
AgEng06
AG
That "experts" view makes no sense because everyone has different schedules. You have a link to that? I'd like to read it.
nashvilleaggie11
The Today Show shared it lol. Shows you its legitimacy...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna131365
wcb
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

What times do you eat between? I read an article yesterday where experts say you HAVE to eat between 10am and 6pm. That's just unrealistic for my lifestyle. Would noon to 8pm really be that bad?
The specific hours are irrelevant.

My wife's been listening to some guy lately that's an expert on the subject. He describes the body's fuel systems as a fridge (glycogen) and a freezer (fat). Food in the fridge is readily available but limited; food in the freezer takes a little longer to tap into but there's plenty there. IF helps empty the fridge so that your freezer has to kick in.

I've been doing it a few days a week trying to drop some weight for an upcoming race. Results have been fantastic - first weight I've lost this year. And I've been in full on training since March.
Sully
AG
Yep, with a 6 hr window from 1p-7p. But lately I've been trying OMAD.
nashvilleaggie11
OK so other question. For breakfast every morning I drink, coffee with 1 tablespoon heavy cream (45 calorie) and 1 tablespoon MCT oil (130 calories). I am guessing that is too high in calories to count as fasting in the morning. Correct?
AgEng06
AG
Yes.
TJJackson
Jumping from 16/8 to 18/6. I have two hours before lunch and right now it doesn't seem too bad even though this is normally when I would break a fast.

This weekend I'm going to try for a 24 hour fast and see how I feel. Would really like to get to a 20/4 cycle.
Sully
AG
Not all fasts are caloric fasts... depends on what you're trying to do. I'm more interested in extending the time between when my body releases insulin. So for me, butter and mct oil does not break my "fast" even though I'm consuming calories.
hph6203
AG
There are some that suggest to get the full benefit of intermittent fasting you should not consume anything but water when you are in the fast. No coffee, no cream, no MCT oil, just water.
harge57
AG
Dr. Rhonda Patrick would say this. Her goal auto****y though not weightloss.

And to the others saying hours don't matter I think they can vary but do matter at the extreme ends due to the effect on circadian rythm.
wbt5845
AG
I've been doing 16:8 during the work week for the last couple of weeks and have dropped about 4 pounds. Too hard for me to get through the weekend without eating breakfast.

I did notice my Sunday long run (10 miles) was a whole lot tougher last weekend - time was a good 30 seconds per mile slower than the previous weekend. This is consistent with previous fasts and their affects on my times. I think it means I'm getting tapped out and my body is working on those fat stores.
wbt5845
AG
harge57 said:

Dr. Rhonda Patrick would say this. Her goal auto****y though not weightloss.

And to the others saying hours don't matter I think they can vary but do matter at the extreme ends due to the effect on circadian rythm.
Laughing that P H A G is auto filtered
OasisMan
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

OK so other question. For breakfast every morning I drink, coffee with 1 tablespoon heavy cream (45 calorie) and 1 tablespoon MCT oil (130 calories). I am guessing that is too high in calories to count as fasting in the morning. Correct?
technically even black coffee alone is not true "IF" because you metabolize the coffee

However, when I IF, ie not on vacay, I don't count the bulletproof coffee
Solo Tetherball Champ
Started last Friday with a 16/8 Fast.

I think I'm short of my daily calories because I feel that each day I have been slightly hungrier in the morning.
KidDoc
AG
OasisMan said:

nashvilleaggie11 said:

technically even black coffee alone is not true "IF" because you metabolize the coffee

However, when I IF, ie not on vacay, I don't count the bulletproof coffee
What do you mean you "metabolize the coffee" ? Coffee with no cream has 2 calories. Breathing and keeping your heart & brain working burn way more than 2 calories. It literally is as close to energy neutral as you can get aside from straight up H2O.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
harge57
AG
Seems like its pretty murky...

I don't think you can just look at calories, coke zero has 0 calories, but i would imagine that breaks a fast.

From this interview.

Quote:

"When we drink coffee, is it going to trigger metabolism or certain things in our gut so that the gut will think, "Well, now I have to start working, the rest is over"? And we think that's where the metabolism or the function of the gut to absorb, or digest this coffee, send that caffeine to liver, and then to brain does kick start right after we drink coffee. Because that's how we are feeling the effect of coffee in the rest our body, because the stomach started working, it absorbed coffee, it sent it to liver, liver might have metabolized it slightly and started to send it to the rest of the brain and body. And then it gets back to kidney, it gets metabolized and excreted. So then the question is, forget about circadian clock, now if we think about just metabolism and, say, mitochondria function, or even, say, go back to auto****y, and then ask, "Is caffeine breaking the fasting so that it stops auto****y, or it stops something else? Or is there a crosstalk between, say, caffeine receptor and glucagon receptor so that it does?" No, fasting is kind of slightly over. You may not be in 100% fast, but in 40% or 50% fast. So that's where things become murky, so that's why we say, "Well, if you can, drink your coffee within this 8-hour, 10-hour, it's better." But at the same time we know, going back to the study that we discussed, Ruth Patterson study, they did not consider coffee as food. So when they considered 13 hours overnight fasting, that 13 hours actually included coffee and tea. So in that we know for cancer, reducing breast cancer risk, this 13 hours of fasting can include coffee, black coffee, and tea. So this is where things are really murky. And we tend to error on the safe side, so we tell, well, if you can have that coffee within your eating window, that's much better. If you can't, then just have black coffee. At least that will not trigger your insulin response or glucose response. So that's what we do, we recommend. Rhonda: Just sort of as a side note because you mentioned it, I recently spoke with Dr. Guido Kroemer, who is an expert on auto****y, and he was telling me about a study he had published a few years ago where the specific polyphenols in coffee, decaf or caffeinated So irrespective of caffeine, it's just it's the polyphenols. Satchin: Yeah. Rhonda: They triggered protein de-acidulation, which is one of the triggers for auto****y. So it actually increased auto****y. Satchin: Increased auto****y, yeah. So that's why we never know, because coffee, or any natural compound, has so many different ingredients that we don't know the activity."
nashvilleaggie11
Started IF today. Trying to hold off until noon to eat since it's hard for us to eat dinner before 8pm with putting baby to bed. I've just had water and herbal tea. Feeling fine. But thinking about what I want for lunch. I have been at the same weight for the past week so hoping this will nudge things along.
AgEng06
AG
Finally eating lunch is one of my greatest feelings each day, especially since I workout fasted at 5 am and then have to last until noon to eat.
KidDoc
AG
harge57 said:

Seems like its pretty murky...

I don't think you can just look at calories, coke zero has 0 calories, but i would imagine that breaks a fast.

From this interview.

Quote:

"When we drink coffee, is it going to trigger metabolism or certain things in our gut so that the gut will think, "Well, now I have to start working, the rest is over"? And we think that's where the metabolism or the function of the gut to absorb, or digest this coffee, send that caffeine to liver, and then to brain does kick start right after we drink coffee. Because that's how we are feeling the effect of coffee in the rest our body, because the stomach started working, it absorbed coffee, it sent it to liver, liver might have metabolized it slightly and started to send it to the rest of the brain and body. And then it gets back to kidney, it gets metabolized and excreted. So then the question is, forget about circadian clock, now if we think about just metabolism and, say, mitochondria function, or even, say, go back to auto****y, and then ask, "Is caffeine breaking the fasting so that it stops auto****y, or it stops something else? Or is there a crosstalk between, say, caffeine receptor and glucagon receptor so that it does?" No, fasting is kind of slightly over. You may not be in 100% fast, but in 40% or 50% fast. So that's where things become murky, so that's why we say, "Well, if you can, drink your coffee within this 8-hour, 10-hour, it's better." But at the same time we know, going back to the study that we discussed, Ruth Patterson study, they did not consider coffee as food. So when they considered 13 hours overnight fasting, that 13 hours actually included coffee and tea. So in that we know for cancer, reducing breast cancer risk, this 13 hours of fasting can include coffee, black coffee, and tea. So this is where things are really murky. And we tend to error on the safe side, so we tell, well, if you can have that coffee within your eating window, that's much better. If you can't, then just have black coffee. At least that will not trigger your insulin response or glucose response. So that's what we do, we recommend. Rhonda: Just sort of as a side note because you mentioned it, I recently spoke with Dr. Guido Kroemer, who is an expert on auto****y, and he was telling me about a study he had published a few years ago where the specific polyphenols in coffee, decaf or caffeinated So irrespective of caffeine, it's just it's the polyphenols. Satchin: Yeah. Rhonda: They triggered protein de-acidulation, which is one of the triggers for auto****y. So it actually increased auto****y. Satchin: Increased auto****y, yeah. So that's why we never know, because coffee, or any natural compound, has so many different ingredients that we don't know the activity."

Thanks for the information- but I still think it doesn't break a fast it just doesn't make biochemical/physiological sense.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nashvilleaggie11
Made a KetoConnect buffalo chicken tenders recipe for lunch. Made 4 medium size tenders and was only able to eat 2 and then was full. Success!
AgEng06
AG
Oh, I never have that problem. I always feel like I could eat the whole damn buffalo for lunch...

I still probably eat ~2500 calories (approximation, I don't count macros anymore) in my 8-hr window.
AggieBarstool
nashvilleaggie11 said:

I do noon-8pm. First meal is usually a meal replacement shake, then low-carb fruits, veggies, and proteins every 1.0-1.5 hours. I end my day with a hearty meal (around 6:30pm) and a fat bomb for dessert.

I drink about 100oz. (give or take 15oz.) of water per day. It helps keep the hunger at bay.

Coffee gets me through those mid-morning "I NEED FOOD NOW" feelings, when I have them.
nashvilleaggie11
Lost one pound this morning...which is a big breakthrough from staying the same the past week. So I'm going to keep the IF going!
Guitarsoup
AG
I do keto+IF.
Tailgate88
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

Lost one pound this morning...which is a big breakthrough from staying the same the past week. So I'm going to keep the IF going!
IF has change my life. Down 80lbs, feel better than I have in two decades. I have about 10lbs to go and then I'll do 8/16 six days a week and a 5/2 on Monday to maintain.

The thing is, the weight loss to me is a "happy side effect". Being in a fasted state allows your body to do lots of housecleaning stuff to keep you healthy and prevent disease. The extra weight is a SYMPTOM of your body not being as healthy as it should be. Let it do it's natural thing, and you'll gradually return to your natural weight.

I'm an IF evangelist now. I think (nearly) everyone should do it.
O.G.
Started it back in April doing 16-8 and have done a couple of 24s on Sundays. Longest I've gone is maybe 32 or so.

Almost all of mywork outs are in the evening though except for my weekend run, in which case break fast lightly before a distance run.

Also, in the first couple of weeks your bathroom schedule can change....a lot.

It has also helped with being "hangry". I no longer get that feeling, or if I do I have more control over it now.

I'm in the low 190s on weight, which is about where I like to keep it, so I'm not trying to "cut weight" like some people that I've talked to.

All things considered, I've enjoyed the discipline of it really.
nashvilleaggie11
Are you doing IF in conjunction with Keto or some other way of eating?
Tailgate88
AG
I find pure Keto unsustainable for me personally. I just love food too much. With IF I have to behave myself a couple days a week, but last night for example we went out for pizza and I have zero guilt.

I believe "Diets don't work" because if you go off the diet you gain the weight back. iF is a lifestyle that I actually enjoy. I feel healthy, I have lots of energy, and I am slowly losing weight.

Simple, Easy, Healthy, Rewarding. iF checks all those boxes. Check out my thread linked in the third post on this thread for more.

I will say I eat pretty low carb these days - lots of salads and proteins. But I find myself craving those and not pasta or bread. I wonder how much IF has to do with that? I will have to give that some thought.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.