Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Obviously my wife is ready for powerlifting

3,654 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She pushed out our 9lbs, 21" daughter yesterday without ANY pain meds. With that kind of strength, she's ready!

Where do I get that cool carrier where I can do back squats with the new baby strapped to my chest...if it's good enough for cross fit! ;-)
c-jags
subtle brag is subtle.

congrats. hope you hate sleep.
Null and Void
Congrats!!
Hoosegow
Congrats! Daughters are the best.
Class of '94
AggieOO
Congrats!

My wife is planning to do the same. Better her than me!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Hoosegow said:

Congrats! Daughters are the best.

Yes they are!

Congrats!
dave99ag
AG
Congrats!

I agree, sleep is stupid says the dad of a 2yr old and 9 mo old.
Tailgate88
AG
Congrats!!
Geriatric Punk
AG
Congrats, bud. My wife just did the same two weeks ago (albeit, this baby girl was much smaller. Jesus). She was born exactly 20 months after my first.

I don't know where I am or what I'm doing right now, but they tell me it will all be worth it at some point.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
mrsbeer05
AG
Congrats!
JMac03
AG
Congrats!

My vajayjay hurts thinking about that.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Congrats on the sex
Farmer1906
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

Congrats on the sex

Sorry it's not happening again for a while.
PFG
AG
Not sure I fully understand the anti-epidural movement. Just as a "I did it with no meds!" bragging rights?

If there's an unexpected emergency, and a CS is needed, or some other OR procedure, mom and baby are at greater risk while you wait for anesthesia. If you can wait at all. It just wasn't all that long ago when child birth was one of the leading causes of death for women of child bearing age.
Geriatric Punk
AG
third coast.. said:

im right there with you bud. daughter 1 born 6/6/16 daughter 2 born 9/25/17. I would say my life is hectic but my wife would probably divorce me, seeing as I have been at sea for 4 months while she wrangles the kids AND works full time.
Crazy. I can't imagine, my man.
Geriatric Punk
AG
PFG said:

Not sure I fully understand the anti-epidural movement. Just as a "I did it with no meds!" bragging rights?

If there's an unexpected emergency, and a CS is needed, or some other OR procedure, mom and baby are at greater risk while you wait for anesthesia. If you can wait at all. It just wasn't all that long ago when child birth was one of the leading causes of death for women of child bearing age.
For us, my wife went from labor to delivery in less than 4 hours both times. Their wasn't time for an epidural.

For others, perhaps they simply don't want to drop $3,000, or they want the full experience without the intervention of pain medications. That's just two possible reasons for the "movement." Just saying. I know I would want one, but I, like most dudes, am a total puss compared to my viking (literally) wife.
PFG
AG
Quote:

my wife went from labor to delivery in less than 4 hours both times. Their wasn't time for an epidural.

Even a slow anesthesiologist can have a epidural in place in 10 mins, with only another 10 min needed to start feeling pain relief/numbness.

I get that its a personal choice, and everyone gets to make the call for their body. Its just something my wife sees
every month on OB:

1)Mom refuses epidural
2)Something happens to mom or baby and it prompts an emergency trip from the L&D floor to the OR.
3)Time is life on the line, and time waits while mom gets the anesthesia needed before the OB can operate.

With an epidural in place back on L&D floor, OB can cut right away to get that baby out and start assessing its needs. Without one, OB waits, and so does the baby/mom in distress.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Gee, then I guess both hospitals we went to hate making money and love unnecessarily exposing themselves to med-mal liability because they both told us she was too far along for an epidural...both times. I'm sure they just had abnormally slow anesthesiologists...at the two different hospitals...in two different states where she gave birth.
PFG
AG
Did you go in with a birth plan saying no epidural? Bc no one's going to force a needle in your wife's back if she comes in saying no-no.

If not - the only real scenario where they won't do one is if the mother is complete dilated and ready to push. At that point, you're right - too far along and its time to get baby out. So you're saying that with both of your children you waited to arrive at the hospital until your wife was 10cm dilated? Water broken? Consistently painful, every min or 2 min contractions? Thats brave.
AggieOO
we've been clearly told that there is a point where they will not do an epidural b/c it's "too late." That said, they also told us that if its too late for an epidural and its truly and emergency, they will use anesthesia. In an emergency (where the mom and/or baby are in danger) c section women are put under anyway, so the epidural makes no difference. An unexpected c section is a different story and they can still do an epidural, if needed. This is all based on the classes we just took at the hospital that we'll be delivering at.

For my wife, she wants to go not meds b/c of a few reasons. One of which is she has no desire to not be able to feel her legs once the epidural is in place. Secondly, women typically have to push for a shorter amount of time without an epidural, as they are able to feel what is going on.
PFG
AG
Quote:

she wants to go not meds b/c of a few reasons. One of which is she has no desire to not be able to feel her legs once the epidural is in place

Every anesthesiologist will tell you that their goal is to relieve pain, but allow the mom to keep feeling/movement in the legs. No feeling = overdosing = not a great epidural. It happens, but its not the norm. Its not like epidural automatically means no feeling. Just FYI
AggieOO
she's talked to several of her friend who all said they couldn't feel their legs. There's no changing her mind that she won't be able to feel her legs.
PFG
AG
Quote:

she's talked to several of her friend who all said they couldn't feel their legs

Why not ask the anesthesiologist at the hospital where she's delivering? Or her OB?

I mean, I always ask my friends for medical advice before a major medical event.

That said - I get it. Epidurals aren't perfect, and numbness happens. And yes - like you mentioned - there are safety catches for the emergency cases. I'm coming from a skewed point of view point being married to an anesthesiologist. It just means I get to hear a lot of stories about the "this could have been avoided with a simple epidural placement at 4cm".

And congrats AggieOO. Boy or girl?
AggieOO
its a girl. And thanks!

She also wants to push a shorter amount of time. That's also a big part of it. Higher chance of that happening without the epidural. Obviously not guaranteed.

She's also a weird endurance runner like me. We seek out uncomfortable things, so maybe part of it for her is bragging rights, I don't know. She makes her own decisions and has spoken extensively with her OB about all this. I'll just be there for support.
PFG
AG
Thats awesome. I love being a girl dad.
dave99ag
AG
Plus she's tough as nails, so this doesn't come as a shock.

Do you want some bows? My wife has purchased enough to outfit a small city.
Geriatric Punk
AG
PFG said:

So you're saying that with both of your children you waited to arrive at the hospital until your wife was 10cm dilated? Water broken? Consistently painful, every min or 2 min contractions? Thats brave.
Not even remotely. I think it was the speed at which she was progressing that spooked the anesthesiologist both times. I'm sure your wife is very knowledgeable and I'm not trying to call BS. I'm just telling you what our experiences have been. I can still see the look on the doc's face the first time when she told us there was nothing she could do. I looked over at my wife and said, "well, babe, this is gonna suck, but it will be over quickly."

AggieOO
That would be a question for Katie. I have no clue what we have at this point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.