Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Weight Routine

1,797 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hoosegow
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sun: off
Mon morn: 1. Squats, 2 Deadlifts, 3 cardio
Mon night: Chest & Triceps
Tue: morn abs & cardio
Tue night: Back & Biceps
Wed morn: cardio
Wed night: Squats,
Deadlifts, cardio
Thur morn: Shoulders & abs
Thur night: Chest & Triceps
Fri morn: back & biceps
Fri night: cardio
Sat morn: abs & cardio
Sat night: shoulders & abs
P.U.T.U
AG
You just made a post about starting back up and you are pulling doubles? Start off easy and steady, with working out doing the least to get results is what you want to do for your health. You can get jacked working out 3-4 days a week for about 30-40 minutes with a proper diet.
rshackelford
AG
Unless you're in your early 20's and sleeping 10 hours a day, this looks like over training for an average person.

Also unless you're doing exclusively high rep low weight hypertrophy type stuff the frequency is too high on the deadlifts I would think.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Stopped reading at squats and deadlifts same day
Hoosegow
What's wrong with that?
Class of '94
culdeus
AG
Half the major programs out there use that approach.
rshackelford
AG
Yeah squats and dead's on same day isn't that bad. Lots of programs do have that featured. I tend to think that if you're deadlifting more than once a week you're not going heavy enough. Deadlifts aren't really a hypertrophy exercise. Go heavy AF once a week. Never really understood high volume deadlift training. Different strokes I guess
Buford T. Justice
AG
He started a thread on the general board whereby an inquiry was made about steroid supplementation. Interesting to see the crossover to H&F.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
rshackelford
AG
Well....I suppose if you're juicing that routine isn't bad lol
bigtruckguy3500
I dead lift and squat together. Usually alternate between which is the focus/first that day.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I've split them though I used to do them on the same day.

A combo of too much fatigue and too little time was the major cause.
Hoosegow
Shack, you seem like you have a decent knowledge base and I'm digging your approach to this board, but you make some pretty ignorant statements. Not stupid, just ignorant.

It is very common, like bigtruck said to alternated. Heavy squats/speed work deadlifts with heavy deads and speed work squats.
Class of '94
shano0603
AG
I just got tired reading this workout routine. Hitting everything twice a week is tough with all that cardio.
gigemJTH12
AG
I am about as dedicated an exerciser as there is...I never miss. And I will say that unless you dont work and all your have to do with your time is workout...there is absolutely no way you could keep this up for more than a couple weeks. No way. Maybe steroids.

edit: maybe if you did all of this with really low intensity. but in that case you would get much better results just going once a day, but intensely.
rshackelford
AG
Hoosegow said:

Shack, you seem like you have a decent knowledge base and I'm digging your approach to this board, but you make some pretty ignorant statements. Not stupid, just ignorant.

It is very common, like bigtruck said to alternated. Heavy squats/speed work deadlifts with heavy deads and speed work squats.

Fair enough. There's more than one way to lift weights obviously. Some more effective than others based on someone's individual goals.

I don't make any original statements. All I've done is paraphrase and share basic methodology that is already widely available and out there created by far more experienced people that me or even yourself. Say what you will about my posts, I'm not making up anything new.

If the OP wants to alternate low and high rep deadlifts 7 days a week, he can knock himself out. If he can recover from that. Great. I'm predicting a quick burnout. Disagree all you like. I've experimented with enough programs that work for me and don't. I'm not in the business of writing my own training programs. I'm not a professional, nor am I a coach so I won't be so presumptuous to think I can trailblaze in a direction that's never been done and be more effective than something more classic/conventional.

If someone is asking programming advice on a Texags forum, it's a safe assumption that they maybe fall in the beginner to early intermediate class of lifter, therefore any advice I give will be appropriate for that level based on what has worked for me personally.

But while we are at pointing each other out. I've noticed that despite some people saying similar things you've really taken to replying mostly to what I say. Much like in the previous thread, My basic information isn't all that different from others. Is it my writing style that jumps out to you?
P.U.T.U
AG
They are squatting 2 days a week (M, W) not 7. A lot depends on your age, in high school we squatted 3 days a week and I was lifting over 500. No way I could do that now. You have guys like Chris Duffin that workout their legs several times a week and has something like a 1000 pound squat.

Most of the workout plans put out by magazines are trash, old school stuff and they call it new. Exercise science has come a long way in the past 10-15 years and a lot of those people are summarizing findings. Find out who is training the top athletes and read about them.

I know you are trying to be helpful but science and experience has led us to other findings and/or more effective approaches. 5x5, 5/3/1 are just some of the better known programs where you do the same lifts several times a week to get strong. Training to failure consistently is no longer advised.
Potcake
AG
FTR, most of hoosegow's posts are condescending if not unnecessarily rude, I wouldn't sweat it.
P.U.T.U
AG
Potcake said:

FTR, most of hoosegow's posts are condescending if not unnecessarily rude, I wouldn't sweat it.
Some call that straightforward. Hoosegow seems to tell it like it is and has the experience to back it up. Most of the heavy lifters I have been around just tell it like it is.
Potcake
AG
Call it what you want but he has even admitted being an ass but wear that badge proudly, I guess. This board is typically one of the most helpful and congenial on TA.
Hoosegow
Yes but I'm only an azz when people make ignorant or asinine statements with an air of authority. Then I call it like I see it. I've called out shack on two statements made - one which we then came to an agreement, the other, on this thread is still up in the air. I stand by my statement. To make the general statement that deadlifting and squatting on the same day will result in over training and burning out is an ignorant statement.

Potcake - I'm guessing I hurt your feeling in some previous post. Sorry.
Class of '94
10andBOUNCE
AG
If you're referring to me I only scoffed at deads and squats same day because it'd take me way too long to go through that

Well aware plenty of folks do it. Just enjoy giving them their own special day
Potcake
AG
Decide on a schtick, being an ass or the passive/aggressive route. Or you could just offer advice without either.
Hoosegow
Schtick? Lol. Ok Pot. I'm too old and way past caring to have a schtick. Obviously I said something to you in the past that I don't remember- and just apologized for - that hurt your feelings. And again, I'm sorry. But when ignorant people make ignorant and asinine statements - I'm going to be an azz and have fun with it. For my amusement if nothing else.

FWIW - have you taken the time to notice that this is at least the third thread this guy has started with no follow up? Which leads me to believe he's trolling. Which makes me a WHOLE lot less likely to waste my time giving actual advice.
Class of '94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.