Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Allergies

1,437 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1997aggies
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else in NTexas been going crazy lately? Finally went and got a steroid pop to try and get me over the hump. Five days later still not feeling 100%.
94chem
This topic comes up all the time, so I'll put in my usual plug for immunotherapy. If you haven't looked into it, give it a shot (no pun intended).
wxguy95
AG
wcb said:

Anyone else in NTexas been going crazy lately? Finally went and got a steroid pop to try and get me over the hump. Five days later still not feeling 100%.
This is my first year to really been hit by allergies...whatever grass pollen is in the air is doing a number on me.
clarythedrill
I used to have crazy hey fever. It got to the point that I would start sneezing and not stop for about 100 sneezes and a bloody nose. Hit me really bad as a Drill Sergeant, so I went on sick call and they put me on Allegra. This was in 1999 and have been on it every since. I take it everyday whether I think I will need it or not. Changed my life. Have you tried Allegra, Claritin or any of the good allergy medicines?
wcb
AG
I take Zyrtec daily. It helps but I still get hit when air quality changes and stuff blows in.
bigtruckguy3500
Have you tried a nasal steroid like flonase or a new med that works really well for my dad called dymista? Flonase would be the next step is all you're on is an oral antihistamine. Could also try other oral antihistamines.
WestAustinAg
AG
Yes take one of the following for sneezing, itching eyes etc.:
1) Nasal steroid. Not habit forming and can now be bought OTC.
2) Clarity (weak)
3) Allegra (stronger)
4) Zyrtec (strongest) or it's newer formula (Xyzal)

Take this for seasonal asthma related symptoms:
5) Singulair (montelucast) for chest related wheezing and tightness during exercise or seasonal allergies

When you figure out what seasons affect you the most take the right medicine prior to that season starting and for the WHOLE season. Some people have issues with fall ragweed, some with spring grasses and tree pollen, some with cedar fever in Jan, some with dust (has been high lately), some with down feathers, some with molds at various times of the year.

Figure out what triggers an allergy attack for you (you can best do this by getting a panel with your allergist). When you figure it out what it is try to remove the ones that can be removed. For seasonal allergies you will have to take one or more of the allergy treatments for that entire season. You can't pinpoint the day you need it...it won't be effective that way.

I take 1 and 3 and 5 from Aug to May. In the Summer I don't need anything.

Talked to an allergist about all this.
OregonAggie
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Yes take one of the following for sneezing, itching eyes etc.:
1) Nasal steroid. Not habit forming and can now be bought OTC.
2) Clarity (weak)
3) Allegra (stronger)
4) Zyrtec (strongest) or it's newer formula (Xyzal)

Take this for seasonal asthma related symptoms:
5) Singulair (montelucast) for chest related wheezing and tightness during exercise or seasonal allergies

Antihistamines like Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra, and Xyzal (basically a cleaner and more potent version of Zyrtec) work best for itchy eyes. Nasal sprays aren't really known for that.

I always suggest the following:

1) Nasal Steroid spray (Flonase, Nasonex, Nasocort). They work the best for congestion but are effective for other symptoms as well. They're also very localized and very little of the meds actually hit your system.

2) Xyzal. I'm a big believer in it. I sold a competitor and I filled prescriptions for it...my doctor never forgot about this on my visits and liked to make fun of me about it. It does carry a risk of drowsiness but less than Zyrtec.

3) Saline nasal wash. This works really really well but a lot of people hate doing it. I'm a fan of Neil Med products. Doing this 1-2x per day will help a lot.

Good luck OP!
94chem
Again, I don't know why people love pharmaceuticals when there is a natural solution. I guess it's easier to pop a pill, or maybe fear of needles...but it works.
OregonAggie
AG
Well to start with, they work. Secondly they're by and large safe.
bushytailed
AG
94chem said:

This topic comes up all the time, so I'll put in my usual plug for immunotherapy. If you haven't looked into it, give it a shot (no pun intended).

This. I'm a year into it myself and wish I had started it sooner.
clarythedrill
wcb said:

I take Zyrtec daily. It helps but I still get hit when air quality changes and stuff blows in.
Ask your doctor for a different drug, like Claritin or Allegra. When I PCSed to a Navy base, the Navy doctor would not issue Allegra, saying it was too expensive, even though the Army has prescribed it to me for darn near 20 years.

They tried the Zyrtec first and it did not work at all, then moved on to Claritin, which does work pretty good. I am currently on an Army post for month or so, so I went on sick call and got a 90 day supply of Allegra to take back. Try another brand and find the one that works for you. I like the pill a day method instead of the nasal stuff, but that is just a personal preference.
1997aggies
AG
I have a lawn business in the DFW area and get a shot once a month. It is a Godsend! With it, I NEVER sneeze. Without it, I would be SCREWED. Go to an allergy dr. Trust me it is worth it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.