Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bone Broth

2,472 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Nosh
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's up with the increased popularity of bone broth? Anyone drinking this stuff daily or regularly? What is it supposed to do for you?

Generally curious.
NoahAg
Maybe it's how you get that dragon spirit that Kanye talked about?
AggieOO
didn't know there was a popularity, much less and increased one.
magscientist14
AG
I've seen a few people talk about it. One is Dr. Rhonda Patrick. She talks about a lot of stuff to eat that helps improve health and the science behind how it works.

Here's one of her IG posts about bone broth:

https://instagr.am/p/BPLZLTcFnw_

Vernada
AG
I see recommendations all over the place now plus ads. Seems like this stuff is popping up everywhere.
Vernada
AG
Does anyone have any experience with good or bad brands?

Experiences / results when adding bone broth to your diet?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I've been adding it to my morning smoothie. Haven't noticed a difference in anything.
aggiebrad94
AG
Vernada said:

I see recommendations all over the place now plus ads. Seems like this stuff is popping up everywhere.
Don't forget that once you search for something, it pops up everywhere.
Vernada
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Vernada said:

Don't forget that once you search for something, it pops up everywhere.

Hadn't done that before yesterday. Maybe the algorithms are tagging me because I've searched IMF.
Diggity
AG
Saw it at Whole Foods in a big pot the other day and wondered the same thing.
htxag09
AG
I'm of the (uneducated) opinion that it's a hoax. Supposedly there's extra vinegar that helps your body absorb more nutrients faster. That makes my bs alarm go off. Really don't think "bone broth" is any better than standard stock. Both are worse than making either yourself.
jenn96
AG
If it's made correctly bone broth is cooked for a lot longer and has more nutrients, minerals, collagen etc. the added vinegar is actually part of the cooking process to help break down the bones and extract minerals. Stock is cooked for a shorter period of time. Packaged stock - Swanson's etc - also has a ton of msg, artificial flavorings etc. but any packaged broth may too.

I don't think it's a miracle food but it's hard to imagine adding more nutrients to your diet being bad. Especially if your current diet isn't that great.

ETA that I definitely agree that it's overhyped, and there are probably a lot of packaged brands that don't have extra nutrients and are just slapping "bone broth" to capitalize on people not knowing the difference between bone broth and stock. Or overcharging for it.
Txmoe
AG
I see it discussed a lot by the intermittent fasting crowd. There seems to be some debate about whether drinking it will break a fast. One "expert" suggests actually breaking your fast with bone broth because it's low-fat, healthy and won't upset your stomach.
AggieBarstool
Colleague of mine is drinking it for the collagen. He swears it's helping with his bad joints (tall & slender, used to play basketball).
94chem
Just buy some glucosamine chondroitin and try it. It works for some people, not for others. No need for shamanism.
AggieBarstool
94chem said:

No need for shamanism.
Because vitamin supplements are more natural than, you know, cooking. Lulz.
Nosh
AggieBarstool said:

Colleague of mine is drinking it for the collagen. He swears it's helping with his bad joints (tall & slender, used to play basketball).

Lolololololololol
Nosh
94chem said:

Just buy some glucosamine chondroitin and try it. It works for some people, not for others. No need for shamanism.

Lolololololololololololol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.