Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Summer 2018 Trail Running

12,625 Views | 213 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieOO
coop-aero-06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know we have several fellow trail runners on this board, so let's hear about your races and other trail running adventures. There probably aren't enough of us to warrant a stand-alone thread for each of our various races this summer, so let's just consolidate here. We can also use this for some Western States, Hardrock, UTMB, etc discussion.

Tomorrow I'll be running the Silver State 50k. It will be my 6th 50k. I don't really have a time goal for this race; I mostly just want to dial in my nutrition plan and have a good 31 mile day to set me up for some bigger races later in the summer. I'll try to post a short report with some pictures later this weekend.

Does anyone else have any races coming up in the next few weeks?
c-jags
I think most of my races will be in the fall. It's too hot in Central TX for a race at this time or year. With the sun coming up earlier I am able to do trail runs 2x a week so that's appreciated.

Totally open to keeping a thread for Trail Running going. It's my favorite workout and I like hearing about good spots.

00 always has some good insights.

I'm also shocked you're doing a 50k this close to Boston. I'm impressed.
AggieOO
Too ****ing hot to do anything in the summer.
AggieOO
I ran the cloudcroft 53k last weekend. I too a really bad fall. Some of you saw the picture of my knee on FB.

Running mohican 100 next month. After that I'm done for awhile...but that might have more to do with the kid showing up in August.
cjo03
AG
It's not too hot in Oregon. I know someone that lives up there with an extra room.
AggieOO
cjo03 said:

It's not too hot in Oregon. I know someone that lives up there with an extra room.

Does that person pay airfare and give me a note to excuse me from the pregnant wife?
cjo03
AG
No and no.. bring her too.
c-jags
AggieOO said:

Too ****ing hot to do anything in the summer.

RockOn
Ran the Grand canyon rim2rim2rim last weekend SK NK BA. It wasn't all to hot on Saturday. Brutal climbing but loved it. Will definitely go back in a few years.

I'm headed to Juneau Alaska in July to get in some mountain running and continue training for a fall 100. Either pine to Palm 100 or Arkansas Traveller

I love the night time races in the summer. Capt Karl's in Texas or the full moon 50k in Arkansas
AggieOO
Arkansas traveller is a fantastic 100
AggieOO
We leave for Hawaii in 2 weeks and then she's on travel restriction. Appreciate the offer though.
tmtxco
AG
Here in our part of Colorado, our highs are in the mid-60's now and most runs above 10k feet will involve running across snow for the next month.

Most of my running this summer is going to be in RMNP, with the only races on the calendar being a couple of halves - Mt Evans Ascent and Pikes Peak Ascent.
RockOn
I've ran segments of the course in other events, and have gotten to know the Arkansas ultra community pretty well. They're great people and seriously dedicated to running far. I think it makes most sense to do Traveler this year. Hal's (RD for P2P) wife Carly offered to pace me for a segment of P2P if I came out there though. That would be a cool experience.

I'm in Tyler, and love training at Tyler State Park, but I just can't get amped up for Texas trail races anymore. All of TROT's race just seem like they're the same (except Franklin Mtns), and same with Tejas Trails. I've been driving the 3-5 hours to Arkansas races all winter/spring and have loved it.
AggieOO
Not sure what my situation will be in early October, but if you do AT100 and need another pacer/crew, lmk.
Aggietaco
AG
Not a serious racer by any means, so all I've got planned is to wrap up the Rogue Trail Series in Burnet weekend after next and then heading to Ft Davis for the Sky Island 50k in September. Still trying to figure out the whole work/life/exercise balance thing with the 10 month old.
coop-aero-06
AG
I guess I should have just titled this "2018 Trail Running" since I forgot how hot it is for most of yall in the summer. We are still waiting for the snow to melt on most of the trails around Tahoe, but everything below 8000' is in great shape right now.

Silver State was a fun experience on Saturday. This is the biggest race that our local running club hosts each year. Jeff Browning and Kaci Lickteig both registered just days before the race. It was cool to see them race against some of our local elites. One of the guys that I train with was leading the 50 mile race up until mile 44 when he was passed by the eventual winner Chris Wehan and then passed by Browing about a mile later. He said that Browning flew by him like he was running a 10k. Here's his Strava for reference. He was flying for the last 10 miles. Also, Kaci is probably the nicest person in the world.

My 50k race was pretty uneventful. I have my first 50 mile race in 2 weeks so I just wanted to get in a solid 30 mile effort without pushing too hard. The weather was perfect for most of the day, until some thunderstorms came in a few hours after I finished. But at least that kept the temperatures down.

Here's a photo from earlier in the week when I was out marking the course.
c-jags
so jealous of that climate right now. i guess the tradeoff is that i can run in non freezing temps for 6 months of the year... then just get early morning runs from May till September.

i did two trail runs last week before 6:30 AM and was drenched by 7:15. i hate to be a tool and wear the headband for a casual run but it's become necessary.

my group just did R2R and it looked pretty like a pretty amazing experience. a few of the more hardcore, turned around and went back the next day.
coop-aero-06
AG
I definitely want to do R2R someday.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

I definitely want to do R2R someday.
I seem to have friends go every year to do R2R2R. I've been wanting to go back and do it again. I know a couple guys are going next year, so I might join them.

My knee is still jacked up from my fall at Cloudcroft, but hoping I'll be able to get back at it this week. I have my big weekend (30/20/10) of training this weekend, and really don't want to miss it.
tmtxco
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

Silver State was a fun experience on Saturday. This is the biggest race that our local running club hosts each year. Jeff Browning and Kaci Lickteig both registered just days before the race. It was cool to see them race against some of our local elites. One of the guys that I train with was leading the 50 mile race up until mile 44 when he was passed by the eventual winner Chris Wehan and then passed by Browing about a mile later. He said that Browning flew by him like he was running a 10k. Here's his Strava for reference. He was flying for the last 10 miles. Also, Kaci is probably the nicest person in the world.
Wow, Browning sure was flying... 4 of his last 6 miles were below a 7:00 mile! Downhill or not, that's impressive in a 50 miler.
c-jags
i got asked to go this go round, but i was invited late, and it's something my wife wanted to do with me. she wouldn't run it, but she does want to hike it with our kids

we're considering that for her next year. she's just now getting mobile after her first surgery and has another one in the winter. maybe by late spring she'll be able to to it or in a couple of years from now.
GMM
Interesting to see this thread today...I did my first trail race (first ever trail run for that matter) this weekend at Possum Kingdom. Only an 8 miler, but it was a lot of fun. Will definitely be doing more.

Also volunteering for Hardrock this year, so that will be neat.
RockOn
While I was there, we meet a guy training for the Triple crown of 200s. He did rim to River to rim to rim to rim. And was moving faster than us! So impressive
RockOn
Now I'm looking at something like Grand 2 Grand Ultra or Trans Pecos. I think I'd do well at a stage race
AggieOO
RockOn said:

Now I'm looking at something like Grand 2 Grand Ultra or Trans Pecos. I think I'd do well at a stage race
i'd love to do either (or both), but they are so damn expensive.

for just the registration price of Trans Pecos, I can register and buy a plane ticket to colorado to do Trans Rockies.
RockOn
Trans Pecos doesn't seem worth it. Agree trans Rockies seems like the best deal. G2G looks awesome. Tbh I'm in my early 30s, single, and have nothing better to do with my time and excess funds. Definitely better than the hookers and blow of my early 20s
AggieOO
RockOn said:

Trans Pecos doesn't seem worth it. Agree trans Rockies seems like the best deal. G2G looks awesome. Tbh I'm in my early 30s, single, and have nothing better to do with my time and excess funds. Definitely better than the hookers and blow of my early 20s
if you want to run all over the big bend region, let me know. I'd be happy to coordinate and do some multi-day running out there once the weather cools off. There's about a million different options and I know the National Park very, very well. Knowledge of the state park is more limited, but open to exploring.
coop-aero-06
AG
50 miler at the Bishop High Sierra Ultra is coming up this Saturday. We are planning to camp near the start line Friday and Saturday night. The weather looks uncooperative right now; highs in the low 90's.

However, I did notice that Dean Karnazes just registered for the 100k, and Ann Trason registered for the 50k. Maybe I'll sneak a few pics with them, and maybe share a few miles with Dean on the trail.
The Pilot
AG
Good luck man! Sucks about the weather.
Aggietaco
AG
It's hot. I thought I could keep up some 5/6PM runs, but I was wrong.

I hate running before sunrise which means I'll probably convince myself out of running more than I already do.
sims05
AG
Run smart coop. When it was got for my 50 earlier this year, they had wet towels at the aid stations. I wish I would have grabbed one sooner. I also had the opportunity to carry an extra water bottle at one point. Wish I would have done that, partly to drink and partly to pour over my head.
coop-aero-06
AG
sims05 said:

Run smart coop. When it was got for my 50 earlier this year, they had wet towels at the aid stations. I wish I would have grabbed one sooner. I also had the opportunity to carry an extra water bottle at one point. Wish I would have done that, partly to drink and partly to pour over my head.
Good suggestions. I'm planning to run in shorts and a singlet, and just run with a hand-held bottle instead of my hydration vest; the vest gets pretty warm. It's 5.8 miles to the first aid station, but after that the longest distance between aid stations is 3.9 miles. (and the majority of aid stations are more like 2.5 miles apart). Since I don't really have a time goal, I'm not going to rush myself through the aid stations either. I'm planning to cool myself off and hydrate every chance I get.
coop-aero-06
AG
Whew! My first 50 mile race is done. Bishop was a really cool race to run this year. It's a pretty small event, with roughly 250 runners spread out among 20 mile, 50k, 50 mile, and 100k distances. There were about 50 runners in the 50 mile race with me. All runners started at 5:30am.

For being a small race, there were several recognizable faces at the start line. I knew that Dean Karnazes was running the 100k, and Ann Trason was doing the 50k. (Ann is sort of making a comeback into the ultra community right now. She's been entering a handful of races and just walking the whole thing. On Saturday, she hiked the whole 50k course.) I also spotted Billy Yang and Tim Tollefson, who both registered for the 50k at the last minute.

When the gun went off Tim shot out like a cannonball and immediately put a huge gap on the field. It's pretty amazing to see a pro runner do his thing while the rest of us mortals just ease into a comfortable pace. I found myself shoulder to shoulder with Billy Yang in the first 100 yards so I said something like "hey Billy, have a good race" and he looked back at me a little bit puzzled before offering up a "hey buddy, you too!"

About a mile later I realized there was a small group of about 5 chatty runners right in front of me. Then it hit me that Dean was right in the middle of the group, and he was surrounded by a bunch of fan-boys chatting his ear off. We all pulled into the first aid station around the same time, and I was being deliberate about taking my time, getting hydrated, and eating. Dean rushed in and out of there, possibly hoping to shed the crowd. But everyone just kept following him. Just after I left the aid station I looked up and saw the group about 200 yards ahead of me and Dean had stopped to tie his shoe (possibly another attempt to ditch the crowd?) and a few of the guys were just standing there waiting for him. Anyway, that was pretty entertaining to watch for a little while. Somewhere along the next 10 miles, I slowly made my way past that group and never saw them again.

The 50k course is an out-and-back. Somewhere around mile 13 or 14, I saw Tim Tollefson barreling towards me on the trail so I gave way and told him "good job". He responded in kind. That was cool. He was around mile 18 or so, heading to the finish. He went on to win the 50k by over an hour.

As for my race, it went about as well as I could have hoped for. I struggled to eat after about 30 miles, when the mid-day heat really started to bother me, so I deliberately slowed down and walked a lot. At the aid stations I was able to eat a lot of fruit, and I soaked myself with sponges, and force-fed myself gels. From mile 39 to the finish, the route is all downhill on a very runnable dirt road. Once I hit that section, I finally hit my stride and found a rhythm. I was able to finish strong and run the majority of those last 10 miles.

Next up is the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 mile race. Now that I have a 50 miler under my belt, I have a time goal to shoot for.

coop-aero-06
AG
iRunFar has their Western States previews online.

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/06/2018-western-states-100-womens-preview.html

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/06/2018-western-states-100-mens-preview.html

2016 champion Andrew Miller has withdrawn due to injury.
AggieOO
hard to disagree with anything on either of those lists.

I'd really like to see Walmsley pull it together this year, but, as the article states, I'm not sure he has the right mental approach. I love the "go for broke" mentality, but sometimes you have to reign that in if its not working.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.