Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Working out when sick

975 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have had allergies and fever last 5 days, finally starting to feel better but have a nasty cough and congestion. Tips on whether i should just suck it up and wait it out or do light light cardio ...?
bigtruckguy3500
If you have a fever, don't workout. If you just have a cold/cough without the fever, then workout. You might actually feel better.
Geriatric Punk
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

If you have a fever, don't workout. If you just have a cold/cough without the fever, then workout. You might actually feel better.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
ATM9000
AG
If I'm sick I'll generally just go for a jog or something. Don't go to a gym when you are hacking up a lung and get everyone else sick.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm coming off 10 days of antibiotics and my guts are still messed up. I went to the gym this morning but bailed early.

I did not trust heavy front squats in my condition.
AgEng06
AG
AggieChemist said:

Solid plan.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
AggieChemist said:

I'm coming off 10 days of antibiotics and my guts are still messed up. I went to the gym this morning but bailed early.

take some probiotics
rshackelford
AG
Agreed. If I have a fever, I don't take anything to bring it down unless it gets dangerously high, which it never does. Rest, and let it run its course. If its a GI problem like food poisoning, diarrhea, vomiting, ect, rest up. Anything else and working out seems to actually speed up recorvery
aznaggiegirl07
AG
azulAg said:

Have had allergies and fever last 5 days, finally starting to feel better but have a nasty cough and congestion. Tips on whether i should just suck it up and wait it out or do light light cardio ...?
take some zinc!
bigtruckguy3500
Good call. Fever is part of the body's natural defense against infection. Taking fever reducers might make you feel better, but might prolong your illness.

And for anyone wondering what a dangerous temperature is, generally 104 and above is when you should take tylenol/ibuprofen for the fever. Although if you're at 103 and it's rising, you could just take it then to keep it from getting to 104.
Cromagnum
AG
If you are sick, stay out of the gym. Nobody else wants what you have, and by definition you are going to touch everything in there.
94chem
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Good call. Fever is part of the body's natural defense against infection. Taking fever reducers might make you feel better, but might prolong your illness.

And for anyone wondering what a dangerous temperature is, generally 104 and above is when you should take tylenol/ibuprofen for the fever. Although if you're at 103 and it's rising, you could just take it then to keep it from getting to 104.

I'm waiting til a fever gets to 104 to do something....yeah. riiiiiight.

Do what you want with yourself, but seriously don't pull this mess with your kids. They can rocket up so fast that by the time you stop listening to your homeopathic, granola sucking do-gooder, it could be too late.
bigtruckguy3500
Well, I deal mostly with adults, but when dealing with actual septic patients in the icu, I don't treat fevers until they're 102 and uncomfortable or about 103.5 (with the assumption it could be over 104 at next check. In the ER I just want people to feel better and get out, so I treat. Plus, in kids treating fever helps them eat/drink more, so it's better to treat earlier.
94chem
Yeah, that's fine. I just know parents who get all preachy with other people's kids, like it's child abuse to treat a fever. Sometimes you need the being to function, 'cause you might be running a household instead of an ICU.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.