Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tendinitis in elbow

1,263 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wcb
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys, I'm experiencing quite a lot of discomfort in my left elbow which I assume is tendinitis. Is this something I should just push through or do I need to stop working out altogether until it goes away? Other than variations of squats, any exercise I do is going to involve me gripping something. Thus far I've just been pushing through. Any thoughts?
Cancelled
AG
It took me 6 months to kick it. It's coming back now.
bigtruckguy3500
Rest. The longer you irritate it, the longer it typically takes to heal once you finally do rest.
Hoosegow
Temper it. Use voodoo floss. NSAIDs. Use lifting straps for any work that requires grip - dead's, rows, etc. you manage it right and temper it, you'll be fine in a couple of weeks
Class of '94
RightWingConspirator
AG
I have been using lifting straps. I've purchased some lifting hooks. I'm going to try that for a bit and see if that doesn't help some.
wcb
AG
Been dealing with it for 2+ months now. Pretty much eliminated all lifting, still swimming 2x weekly and riding in an aero position on the bike. My main race is July 29, after which I (if I'm still having issues) I'll go cold turkey and rest it a few weeks. Tried NSAIDS, ice, 3-4 days full rest. Pain is not terrible but just can't seem to kick it 100%.
bmks270
AG
Stop using barbells. Use only dumbbells.
Stop doing chin ups, and if you do curls don't face your palms to the ceiling.

That is what helped me after a few weeks of nagging irritation. I was very near seeing a doctor if it persisted but it went away.

Also evaluate use of personal devices and computers.

Hey Zeus
See a professional
Kool
AG
All of the above is good advice. Do a heating pad to the area, followed by massage and then stretching. If finances allow, purchase an ultrasonic device to do your own therapy. Splint your arm at night. A lot of times, during sleep, you will flex your wrist into a position which keeps those muscles under tension. Determine whether you have medial or lateral epicondylitis (golfer's versus tennis elbow, usually not caused by either activity), and then youtube stretching exercises for both and then VERY LIGHT strengthening. It sounds ridiculous, but you can start out with a soda can or one pound weights to do the exercises, then increase from there. Typing and handwriting are very frequent causes. Ice the elbow after any activity that makes it flare up. Good luck. I've had it off and on for years, and as a surgeon I cannot really avoid some of the activities that bring it on. My hand surgery colleagues, who have injected me multiple times (more than I care to have had done) rarely recommend surgery for the condition.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DavidAg02
Look up a product on Amazon called Theraband. It's a recovery/exercise tool specifically for tennis and golfers elbow. Best $25 I ever spent.
wcb
AG
DavidAg02 said:

Look up a product on Amazon called Theraband. It's a recovery/exercise tool specifically for tennis and golfers elbow. Best $25 I ever spent.
Taking your word for it. I'll let you know in a month.
P.U.T.U
AG
Doctor/PT is the safest bet, cortisone shot is what I got in the past. Rest is a huge factor but it is no fun. I have some tendinitis in my elbow now and doing some forearm work has helped it subside. Soft tissue work helps for me
aggiederelict
You mean TheraBar not TheraBand? Two different products.
wcb
AG
I'm trying out the red TheraBand FlexBar
AgPT06
AG
Disclaimer: Im a physical therapist, so that is my bias. With that said, find a good manual physical therapist. Also, see if you can find someone who does therapeutic dry needling (not the same as acupuncture) . It is a bit trendy and not right for every situation, but for this type of injury I find it consistently helps get things settled down and allow for some good stretching/strengthening.
DavidAg02
wcb said:

Yes... that's what you want! good luck
Absolute
AG
I have had good luck with the Baurfeind Epitrain brace with the tennis elbow type soreness I get periodically. A little pricey, but it works.
wcb
AG
DavidAg02 said:

wcb said:

Yes... that's what you want! good luck
Been using it for a week now. Full disclosure: treatment has been two-fold. I'm using the flex bar, but I also remembered I had some heavy duty anti-inflammatory cream a doc had given me for my knee. I started both last week. Been doing both 2x daily.

Elbow feels 100x better. It's not completely gone but feels the best it has in a few months. I'll keep it up for another week or two. If it's not all gone by then I'll probably look into finally getting an injection.

Thanks for the tip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.